Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm allergic to my dog :(

Options
  • 05-12-2007 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Have a 2.5 year old boxer and just found out today that I'm allergic to her :( Don't know if it's all dogs or just her, but I assume it's all...

I've been having alot of trouble with my nose, sneezing, etc., for a few years now and only put 2 and 2 together and got a blood test recently, which confirmed it.

Any ideas of what to do? Plastic covers on the furniture? Any shampoos/sprays that might limit her shedding/whatever?

Just looking for suggestions, I don't want to have to give her away unless other options have been exhausted.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think you can treat the symptoms Dave. Have you spoken to your doctor about the possibilities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No carpets, just sanded or tiled floors; easily-washable curtains; polyester duvet and pillows that are disposed of at least once a year for duvet and every three months for pillows; wash sheets, pillowcases and duvet cover weekly; change your diet to lean more on greens, fish and grains and less on meat and dairy products; exercise (nice walks with the dog) every day; get a neti pot and use nasal lavage every day.

This isn't medical advice, obviously - just my own experience. Ask the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'm the same with my two cats, kind of used to it by now, I love my cats and the blocked up nose is a small price to pay for me. I got the same symptoms when I kept parrots too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Hi, I don't know if its the same thing but I know someone with a bad cat allergy who manages to live in harmony with two of them so this might be worth trying - wash your hands well after handling/petting the dog being esp. careful not to touch your face at all until you have washed your hands - hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

i'm allergic to mine as well... i know it sounds stupid but i just try not to breath in through my nose when i'm brushing them, playing with them etc otherwise i'll be in sneezes for about 45mins. it's hard but after a few years you get used to it. In the car is the worst but a rolled down window does the trick... and a constant supply in piroten

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I've a similar problem. I'm allergic to my cat. I get sneezing fits etc. I started using Flixonase and the problem went away. It's about €12 in a chemist.

Advertisement