Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber Frame Links

• 05-12-2007 8:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’m looking for some links to why timber frame houses are good and cost effect.
    The reason I ask is that we had a meeting with the architect last week and I said I wanted to go timber frame, he went into a rant that timber frame is no good blah blah blah,of course my other half believed every word and now wants to go with brick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Here is one which has links to lots of timber frame companies.

http://www.itfma.ie/

Lastbuilders

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Id advise to go with a company thats IAB (NSAI) approved and accredited... there are some cowboy companies out there.

Timber frames are like any other building system, you can have a Rolls Royce version, or you can have a Lada version (no offence Lada....;))... it depends on the spec and quality of workmanship....

if you plan on installing renewables (solar panels, Geothermal or wood pellet with UFH, etc) i personally would stay away from block... too many tradesmen out there have been throwing up crap for the last 10 years and are in that habit now.... very hard to get them out of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If the Architect is so unprofessional as to start ranting and dismissing a proven building method, I would be asking whether or not I would be prepared to employ him/her.
    The architect sounds kind of set in their ways and not prepared to look at other methods of construction.
    Think twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJH has it right, it's not the house type you need to change, it's the Architect.

If he's so convinced of the merits of (brick), let him give you a written guarantee of it's quality, thermal performance and airtightness. If he doesn't, walk.........or show him the door.

As for NSAI/IAB - don't get hung up on that, either - remember NSAI have NO testing facilities, no product testing has been done by them - only paperwork.

A BBA or BRE cert from the UK, or other reputable european agency (backed up by testing), is ample.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

have to agree with the lads that this "Architect" sounds like a bit of a dick. The reason we went with TF is that I lived in a rent house which was TF and the flipping thing was always snug.

There are loads of good and bad TF companies.

We went with Clarkes ourselves but also really considered RiverView

• Advertisement

We looked at a few companies too and went with riverview.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

Lastbuilders,
    Sorry for re-awakening such an old thread but just wondering if you have nay regrets with going with Riverview. Have got a really good quote from them and I'm leaning their way but would like to hear from people who are living in one of their houses.
    All comments gratefully appreciated
    thanks,

Hi Eire1977,

I have no regrets with using Riverview. In the house over a year now and haven't had any problems. The were very helpful during the planning and construction stages.

One thing I would recommend is to take extra steps if you are planning on having hardwood floors upstairs. These can be a bit noisy (though it would be the same in a brock and block house I believe) in the rooms below when hardsoled shoes used but I know there are extra steps you can take to improve this. I put a sound insulation board below the floor and sound insulation between joists but I think there is a thicker subfloor you can put in for extra insulation.

Apart from that it is cosy and relatively cheap to heat so no complaints.

Lastbuilders

Thanks Lastbuilders .... just what i wanted to hear.

Sales people will tell you the world is flat, if that's what you what to hear, so it's nice to hear from 'real' people about products they have bought and used.

That is unless you are a sales person and even worse if you work for Riverview!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Hi guys I never thanked you all for the information when I asked for it so thank you.
    So few months have pasted and im just waiting on our planning but I have been looking at a few other TF company’s.
    Tyrone Timber frame and The Timber Frame Company based in Waterford has anybody ever dealt with theses.

• Advertisement

No Problem eire177 and I am definately not a sales person or work for the company. I think it was Gary or Gerry we dealt with so if you mention their trips up to Cavan to do the kit they will probably remember it as I phoned them a good few times with last minute alterations. If you want I can send you some photos of the kit going up.

Lastbuilders

Lastbuilders,
    That would be great, if it's not too much trouble. I'll PM you my email address.
    Cheers,

Advertisement