Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sbs 2000 domain - replacing with server 2003 standard

• 05-12-2007 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

An sbs 2000 domain (they dont use exchange) - i want to replace the dc with a server 2003 machine - is this migration possible?
    I have found "how to's" for sbs 2003 domains to standard 2003 domains but nothing for sbs 2000.

Over the last 2 days I did a Server 2000 domain to a 2003 domain migration and this worked fine but with sbs I am wonderign will it aloow another server to take control of the 5 roles?

My plan was:
    On sbs 2000 box.
    adprep / forestprep
    asprep / domainprep

On new 2003 server standard - add dns and wins
    reboot
    dcpromo and add as a new domain controller to an existing domain
    once rebooted and dns and active directory has replicated then change the 2003 servers dns to point at itself
    Then setup dhcp on the 2003 server with same scope
    then transfer the 5 roles from the sbs box and then dcpromo the sbs box - this is the step that worries me as i dont know if this will work on sbs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

jamesd wrote: »
    An sbs 2000 domain (they dont use exchange) - i want to replace the dc with a server 2003 machine - is this migration possible?
    I have found "how to's" for sbs 2003 domains to standard 2003 domains but nothing for sbs 2000.

Over the last 2 days I did a Server 2000 domain to a 2003 domain migration and this worked fine but with sbs I am wonderign will it aloow another server to take control of the 5 roles?

My plan was:
    On sbs 2000 box.
    adprep / forestprep
    asprep / domainprep

On new 2003 server standard - add dns and wins
    reboot
    dcpromo and add as a new domain controller to an existing domain
    once rebooted and dns and active directory has replicated then change the 2003 servers dns to point at itself
    Then setup dhcp on the 2003 server with same scope
    then transfer the 5 roles from the sbs box and then dcpromo the sbs box - this is the step that worries me as i dont know if this will work on sbs.

Not 100% certain about SBS but I would assume you could just seize the roles after the replication. Of course you are going to have only on DC (If I've read that correctly). Make sure you don't forget to seize the role from the RID master... could get messy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since you're using SBS, I'm assuming that this isn't exactly mission critical. Any reason why you can't just take the 2k machine offline while you upgrade it to 2003?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Turns out the existing dc was just plain 2000 server when i got onsite so was a handly migration.

Advertisement