Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Investigating Liverpool v Besiktas match

• 05-12-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2946374,00.html

Whatever came of that game a few years ago where some Russian team played a Greek team in the UEFA cup and there was some crazy score like 5-2?? Thw word had got out and there was guys walking into bookies all over London asking to out £500 on the CORRECT score at odds of 66/1 :eek: Bookies suspended betting and the matter was reported to UEFA the next day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sueddeutsche Zeitung is a bit of a rag. Besiktas had the look of a genuinely inept side that night rather than "playing" the part :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

mike65 wrote: »
    Sueddeutsche Zeitung is a bit of a rag. Besiktas had the look of a genuinely inept side that night rather than "playing" the part :p

Mike.

No smoke without fire [allegedly] :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, the bookies will know from their data if there was any type of unusual betting patterns for that match. It is possible, but from what I saw of the game it didnt look as if the Besiktas players were throwing it away. A closer investigation of the goals/chances, etc, may reveal more. I'm sure we'll be seeing them again if there is anything.

I didnt think that paper was a 'rag' (ala a certain solar red-top), as it targets the ABC1 segment, ala Irish Times in Ireland, The Independent in the UK, Washington Post in the US, etc. It looks like just some conjecture done by a journo, thinking of the 5-2 game thats being investigated and seeing how the 8-0 win by Liverpool was unlikely. I think Uefa investigate/look into all games as a matter of process that have unusual scores, and Liverpool's 8-0 win was unusual, no doubt about that. Whether it was crooked or not remains to be seen. I have my doubts but we'll see.

Redspider

Its website looks tacky. Bild is the German Sun of course. If all runaway scores are investigated then I trust the Arsenal game will get the same attention!

Mike.

Can UEFA look at EPL games too? I think the recent Bolton v Man U game should be scrutinised :o

And then theres the recent Mersyside derby ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

So nothing about the Arsenal 7-0 game then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

kaimera wrote: »
    So nothing about the Arsenal 7-0 game then?

Huh? Hmmm i can see how this may have came about in the UEFA offices.

Suit 1: Hey, Look! It seems that someone got really lucky after putting a bet on Liverpool to beat Besiktas by more than 6 goals.
    Suit 2: Really? wow, good on him...how much?
    Suit 1: About 15,000...from a 20 quid bet.
    Suit 2: Jammy git.....wait a minute, the same bet was placed 15 times in london, all with different bookies...
    Suit 1: yes....and 20 times in Istanbul, 3 times in Berlin, and 35 times in Abu Dhabi.
    Suit 2: Looks suspicious to me, there is no way that many people could have predicted the outcome of that liverpool game.
    Suit 1: Yes, we absolutely MUST sort this out....get me a video of the arsenal game, I'm suspicious.

Or something like that yes?:confused:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/12/05/SOCCER_UEFA_Liverpool.html&TEAMHD=soccer
    UEFA are not investigating Liverpool's 8-0 victory over Besiktas in the Champions League for alleged suspicious betting patterns during the match.

German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung has claimed there was unusually high levels of betting on a high-score victory before the game.

However, UEFA say only one match, the InterToto Cup game between Makedonija and Cherno More in July, is being investigated by them.

The Liverpool v Besiktas is also not one of the matches that UEFA have passed on to the police because of suspicious betting patterns.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahhh, so no smoke to begin with. just a german tabloid making stuff up.
    proof that the suns business model works in all parts of the globe :D

UEFA say only one match, the InterToto Cup game between Makedonija and Cherno More in July, is being investigated by them.

I dont believe it ! I had a tenner on Makedonija to do the conga after 25 mins, then give away 3 peno's and comeback to win 6-3, whats suspicious about that :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Jazzy wrote: »
    ahhh, so no smoke to begin with. just a german tabloid making stuff up.
    proof that the suns business model works in all parts of the globe :D

Not really. The SDZ isn't the most balanced/best broadsheet in Germany, but it's definitely not a tabloid. Bild and Express do that job quite well.

Advertisement