Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone cancellation

• 05-12-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone here can help!

I'm currently with Vodafone billpay but am going to move to Meteor billpay. I was in the Meteor shop at the weekend and it seems quite straight-forward to port my number across and set up a meteor contract. All grand so far. So I rang Vodafone yesterday to see how I go about cancelling the contract with them. Now, the lady I was talking to was very friendly but either I'm a bit slow or she wasn't sure about / couldn't explain the process so I hope someone here can shed some light on it.

My contract runs to the 21st of this month so if I want to get full use of it, I asked her should I just go into the Meteor shop on the 20th and set up a contract with them and ring Vodafone on the 20th and cancel my contract with them. The Vodafone lady kepy going on about a 28 day charge / notice. Despite a long conversation, I still don't understand how it works -

A. Do I have to give Vodafone 28 days notice? i.e. if I want to stop my contract on the 20th, do I cancel with them on the 22nd / 23rd of the previous month and use Vodafone for another 28 days?

B. Or is it just a cancellation charge? i.e. I cancel with them on the 20th, don't use Vodafone from that date and they just take a further 28 days worth of billing from my bank account? If so, presumably I should have a contract with my signature agreeing to this? Also, how do they calculate a 28 day usage charge?

C. Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can do either a or b. They're going to take an extra month off you anyway so you might as well use it by calling them to cancel 28 days before you port your number.

don't wait until the contract is cancelled because your number will stop working and the meteor staff have to call you to verify you own the number

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

thanks for the quick reply there CV.

so what ur saying is that it is A and not B? The Vodafone lady was saying that there is a 28 day notice period for contract cancellation?

This means I'd be better off cancelling it on say 23rd of December and using it until 19th January. Because if I were to cancel it today (5th December), 28 days would bring me up until 2nd January and Vodafone would already have charged me in advance for the period 21st December to 20th January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, they have the terms and conditions listing on their site, specifically for porting off...

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/paymonthly/index.jsp#general
    General Terms and Conditions
    5. Suspension / Termination

5.2 This Contract may be terminated by either party giving to the other at least 28 days written notice or, in the case of porting, on the completion of the porting process.

5.4 Where the Contract is terminated all Charges will continue to accrue and be payable either until the end of the 28 day notice period (where termination is pursuant to Clause 5.2) ...

hi, just thought i'd post an update on how this turned out.

went into meteor shop and ported my number from vodafone to meteor. This automatically cancelled my Vodafone subscription - didn't have to contact vodafone. My last Vodafone bill has come through and what they have done is changed me to the cheapest monthly plan (the Perfect Choice 50) (I had been on a higher plan) and charged me for that.

i know its in the T&Cs but i think it's a bit of a cheap shot to be honest - it's basically a Cancellation charge in a different name because it's impossible for me to get the usage out of that final payment.

Incidentally, I rang vodafone again after my last post and was told by the guy i was talking to that there would be no final charge as I was "out of contract" i.e. not within the first initial 12 months. This information was obviously incorrect. So 2 calls to Vodafone customer service and in one call the representative was unable to give me the info and another call they gave me the wrong info.

Not that Meteor were any better by the way - I was told by one of their representatives that if i signed up for Talk 300 plan I'd get free weekend calls to any network AND free calls and texts to meteor numbers. However, when I was signing up in the shop I was told I could only get one or the other!

LinoRichie wrote: »
    Not that Meteor were any better by the way - I was told by one of their representatives that if i signed up for Talk 300 plan I'd get free weekend calls to any network AND free calls and texts to meteor numbers. However, when I was signing up in the shop I was told I could only get one or the other!

the second person is correct. i think i'll give meteor a call and tell them that one of their agents is telling people that. it'll save headaches and law suits

• Advertisement

hi CV, that might be a good idea although i wasn't going to sue them, just rant a little! the same goes for vodafone.

incidentally, do any of the companies (meteor, vodafone, o2 etc.) get involved in this forum? if not explicitly, i'm sure they must do anonymously - a lot of helpful feedback for them in the these threads.

LinoRichie wrote: »
    hi CV, that might be a good idea although i wasn't going to sue them, just rant a little! the same goes for vodafone.

incidentally, do any of the companies (meteor, vodafone, o2 etc.) get involved in this forum? if not explicitly, i'm sure they must do anonymously - a lot of helpful feedback for them in the these threads.

yeah there was a guy who was working on the meteor webtexts posting here (unofficially i think) asking for feedback etc. i told him that due to the extremely insecure setup of the system i'd been able to make a program that could crack into someone's account in about an hour.

now they've put in one of those things where you have to type the message in a picture after you put the pin in wrong a few times. i regret telling him now :D

Advertisement