Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with the new growing trend of being too posh to push

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭girlwitcurls

embee your full of crap. you look for stats and facts yet you have none yourself. i am well aware of my phiolosophy of midwifery and will be and have been told ill make a good midwife. i set up this to find out the mind set of women choosing sections but you feel it nessacary at all costs to argue and make my points invalid.

embee wrote: »
    A midwife is first and foremost an advocate for the women she cares for. Yes, she should promote and encourage vaginal birth, but if a woman is determined to have a c-section and her Obs. is in agreement, then a supportive midwife will be fully on board with the decision.

i am well aware of my role as a midwife.i did not set up this to define the role of a midwife i wanted (and is is the last time im writting this) to see the mind set of women choosing a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The first one went to a consultant semi-privately with the VHI and asked straight up for a c-section and was told no. she subsequently heard about this other consultant who was more amenable to it so went privately herself and got it that way.

I'd be in agreement that it's probably the thin end of the wedge at the moment, but it seems to be more prevalent now, it's certainly a topic of conversation amongst expectant parents that I know of. Most are not interested mind.

This consultant is obviously raking it in. By the by, he put the first mother's delivery date back by a week because he was heading away on a golfing holiday :rolleyes:

Most aren't interested, and I can fully understand that. You are supposed to give birth vaginally, and you do recover quicker from it. From my own personal point of view I wouldn't have a section unless it was absolutely necessary, but I certainly wouldn't condemn a woman for making that decision.

As for the Obs and his golfing holiday.... Well, I don't quite know what to say to that.

embee your full of crap. you look for stats and facts yet you have none yourself. i am well aware of my phiolosophy of midwifery and will be and have been told ill make a good midwife. i set up this to find out the mind set of women choosing sections but you feel it nessacary at all costs to argue and make my points invalid.

girlwitcurls, I have never, at any stage, told you that you are "full of crap" and I would be grateful if you'd return the courtesy. I don't agree with what you're saying. You don't agree with what I'm saying. You started this thread - did you seriously think that everyone who replied would agree with you? Its a debatable topic and people are debating it - it isn't my fault if you feel that your points are somehow "invalid". I don't agree with what you're saying and I don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

girlwitcurls I suggest you take a break from posting and calm down beofre you get an enforced break with a ban from this forum.

It is one thing to be passionate about a topic but when your post become so antongistic as yours have you start píssing people off.

I won't stand to have anyone abuse posters here never mind a mod, so no more comments about people being full of crap.

In all fairness you came here to talk about what you have experienced, some people have heard of this and others working in the field have not. It is a big country and esp when talking about private practices of consultants many things vary.

If anyone is be told to cite proof in this case it would be you as you raised the matter and it is not for others to prove you wrong.

Women who have c-sections are less likely to breastfeed than women who have vaginal deliveries. This may be because they are uncomfortable from the surgery or have less time with the baby in the hospital

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/240_1031.asp

• Advertisement

Women who have c-sections are less likely to breastfeed than women who have vaginal deliveries. This may be because they are uncomfortable from the surgery or have less time with the baby in the hospital

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/240_1031.asp

This link is hugely flawed. It is American-based and is not based on Irish data. Cultural differences and socio-economic factors play a huge part in the uptake rates for breastfeeding. This site merely states that women who have secions are less likely to breastfeed, but it doesn't provide a link to a research study with these findings.

how is my last link insulting?????????your full of **** and i hope i never have you as a midwife.god knows where id end up!!!!ban me, barr me, whatever im so tired of talking to an idiot who doesnt know her area of work well enough.get your stats and facts and you know where you can shove them!!!!!bye now theatre nurse.

And a time out for you.

Shame you can't keep your cool and didn't provide hard irish data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

For what it's worth, I've just come to this thread and read the entirety from beginning to end.

Thank you, Thaedydal, for making the OP take a time-out. She really was getting to be offensive and unjustifyably argumentative.

Embee, (welcome as a mod, btw), I think your comments were fair and clearly put. As a mother of one, I believe the role of the midwife is whatever the labouring mother requires. If I'm pushing a watermelon out of my vagina, and I want my midwife to sing me a lullaby, I'd hope she'd be agreeable :D

At the end of it all, the only real thing that matters is that mother and baby are healthy and happy. And Embee, you made a very valid point that what is "supposed to" happen doesn't always happen, and sometimes there is a time and point for a more invasive procedure.

Does that mean that sometimes, some women choose to have a c-section for no other reason than they can plan the day and environment they'll deliver in. Of course that happens. And maybe in this ever-changing Irish culture, maybe more women are requesting sections for this reason. However I still think (at least I'd hope) these women are a minority and that most women undergoing a section do have some sort of medical reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

What a read this thread is.

If i were about to have a c section out of pure fear of natural delivery or any other "non medical" reason i certainly know what midwife i would like by my side!.

If girlwitcurls you feel so strongly about this then perhaps you should consider changing profession as i dont see you being much support to any woman in this position. A miswife/nurse/doctor, whatever..... should leave her personal feelings on any given subject at the door IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

maybe thats the case in mayo but not the rest of the country.

This relation of mine went to the Coombe!
    Actually, I've had 3 c-sections (first 2 emergencies, 3rd one elective - had no other choice) and I breastfed all my babies for up to 9 months.

Ayla wrote: »

At the end of it all, the only real thing that matters is that mother and baby are healthy and happy. And Embee, you made a very valid point that what is "supposed to" happen doesn't always happen, and sometimes there is a time and point for a more invasive procedure.

Does that mean that sometimes, some women choose to have a c-section for no other reason than they can plan the day and environment they'll deliver in. Of course that happens. And maybe in this ever-changing Irish culture, maybe more women are requesting sections for this reason. However I still think (at least I'd hope) these women are a minority and that most women undergoing a section do have some sort of medical reasoning.

Hi Ayla,

You are absolutely right - a healthy Mum and baby are the the desired outcomes from any birth, no matter what route the baby takes out of the uterus. Very few (if any) women these days choose to have a caesarean without being fully aware of the possible risks and the longer recovery time, and I could agree with you that the women who do opt for non-medical sections are a small minority and I think things will remain that way.
    themadchef wrote: »

If i were about to have a c section out of pure fear of natural delivery or any other "non medical" reason i certainly know what midwife i would like by my side!.

If girlwitcurls you feel so strongly about this then perhaps you should consider changing profession as i dont see you being much support to any woman in this position. A miswife/nurse/doctor, whatever..... should leave her personal feelings on any given subject at the door IMO

And therein lies the crux of the issue, madchef :) Well put.

I could agree with you that the women who do opt for non-medical sections are a small minority and I think things will remain that way.

But if a person is working in a consultants private practice in the run up to christmas and they are know to allows a c-section to be selected by a patient
    then it may seem to them that the numbers are greater then what they are nation wide.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    But if a person is working in a consultants private practice in the run up to christmas and they are know to allows a c-section to be selected by a patient
    then it may seem to them that the numbers are greater then what they are nation wide.

Yeah, the numbers vary wildly from one hospital to another. Many different hospitals will have different policies on sections - in fact, you sometimes find that different Obstetricians working in the same hospitals will have different policies, both for their public, semi-private and private patients. It is actually very hard to find a true figure of the number of "elective" v "emergency" caesarean rates for Ireland as a whole, as there are all sorts of ways of manipulating data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I dont have time to read the thread, just passing through!

I had an elective section 9 weeks ago and i was terrified.

I had an emergency section on my son 7 years ago and did not want to go through the trauma of that again. They could not guarantee i would go natural and gave me a 2 hour time limit. It wasnt an easy decision. I lost a lot of sleep making the decision.

I dont know if i regret it. I have a beautiful healthy baby boy however he got here. I do feel i have missed out on giving birth and that was possibly my last chance due to other complications. Everytime he so much as sniffles i blame myself for having a section. But hes healthy and i am getting there.

I always thought a section was slice you open and pull him out but they cut through the uterus and several layers of muscle. They clamp and pull and push your insides then sew it all back up!

In my case it was far from too posh to push. I have had infection after infection since the section although the scar itself is healing well. The internal scarring is harder as you cannot see whats going on. The recovery is longer than natural labour so i have been told and you are at a higher risk of blood clots and complications etc. The pain after is terrible. Taking a pee is agony! I over did it hoovering cleaning shopping etc straight out of hospital and did myself no favours health wise, that was the most frustrating part for me, waiting on normality.

All i can say is its not really the easy way out people think it is.

I hope all the lovely babies and mammy's are well from the pregnant chat thread, i hope to be able to catch up soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

themadchef wrote: »

If girlwitcurls you feel so strongly about this then perhaps you should consider changing profession as i dont see you being much support to any woman in this position. A miswife/nurse/doctor, whatever..... should leave her personal feelings on any given subject at the door IMO.

+1 Completely agree.

There's nothing more annoying than a midwife who tries to force you to do something you've already and definately made your mind up completely about. Just because you've read the text-books and worked in the midwifrey field does not mean you know it all. Breast-feeding was WRONG for me, I found out the hard way, no nurse or midwife would listen however.

For example:- Whilst going through a traumatic recovery in hospital after my 3rd degree tear experience, I felt under SO much pressure to breast-feed from all the staff that I continued it. I was NOT healthy enough to breast-feed. My daughter was not getting enough milk and she AND I had developed thrush (me, on my nipple, inside my breast) and the pain was excrutiating (yes, even after childbirth and stitching, and whilst on distalgesic I think & double dose of antibiotics) the pain was absolutely unbearable. NONE of the staff took ANY notice of me, I was a first-time "clueless" mum to them. They ignored me when I mentioned the pain saying I was probbaly cracked or the baby was not latched on properly. I knew this was not true as I could tell when she was latched on (it's NOT rocket science after all for christs sake and my oh my believe it or not, even a new mum can work these things out with a bit of research and a bit of mothering....)

I didn't find out about the thrush until I was discharged from hospital and after another few days of agony (i was crying my eyes out in shooting pains every time she fed from one particular boob) I looked it up online and self-diagnosed it as being thrush. The public health nurse agreed with me, I had thrush. I put my baby on bottles the next day and never looked back, I hadn't slept for TWO FULL weeks for anything more than about 40 minutes (baby had started wanting to use mammy as a dummy also all through the night) Finally I got a good night sleep, as did my baby, and after a few weeks she was sleeping the whole night through and we had a perfect routine.

The nurses/midwives were absolutely rubbish in my case, pushing their text-book "perfect world" ideas onto me and not actually having the caring nature they SHOULD have to actually open their ears, listen and HEAR the patient!!
    The tear was caused (in my opinion) by the very experienced midwife letting a student midwife check the position of the head before I was ready to push. Unfortunately the student couldn't work out the position (her first time to do it) and was making faces as if to say "haven't a clue" and the midwife said "push away" without holding me off for a few seconds and checking herself, which she should have done. Baby's head was positioned wrong and I tore....this probably could have been avoided. I wasn't encouraged to control my pushing either and pushed extremely hard as had been doing my pelvic floor excersises every day, morning, noon and night, for MONTHS, in preperation, but that's another thing midwives don't trust about first-time mums...

When I arrived in the hospital at 8am one morning, after going through most of my labour at home (because I wanted to be in comfort in my own home, on my own, and not around strangers while going through such pain) and timing contractions myself, contractions were 3 mins apart when I left the house and 2mins40sec and lasting 40 seconds as I walked through the doors of the larbour ward. The midwife didn't listen to me when I told her and, after laving me sitting for ten minutes in a waiting area she told me to hop on a table to "monitor" the baby when in reality I needed to be in the delivery room preparing as I was 9 centimetres dialiated (midwife didn't check until she had MONITORED me for a full hour) The baby wasn't kicking as she was ready to be born...and the midwife was popping into the room every now and them telling me to press a button when the baby kicked! But she wasn't in the mood for kicking, she wanted out and the midwife didn't care as she knew best!!! My contractions were so intense at this stage that I was ready to kill someone (I didn't give out or moan or whinge though, maybe that was my problem, I didn't even say OW once throughout!) Anyways, the mid-wife, thinking I was a typical first-time-mum (as they tend to think about us) thought of course, I'd be overreacting, she actually had mentioned that it might be a false alarm, AFTER I'd told her about the contractions and how long I'd had them and the times etc etc.....grrrrrr I'm sorry, am I gone way off topic? As you can see, me and midwives didn't have many good experiences together. (I also knew my midwife personally and she had delivered me, she is a lovely woman, kind and caring in nature, but she is a typical midwife who knows best for mum & best for baby but doesn't actually listen to mum....ever)

Girlwithcurls, I don't want to personally attack you. But it's so obvious you're being brainwashed by a midwife or midwives (or books) who have very strong and set ways of looking at things. You need to be slightly more empathethic to the mothers (I believe you're a mother yourself) who may choose to have a c-section for whatever reason. Maybe they ARE being silly, but it's their choice and your job, in turn to support them, not judge them. I believe it was a little foolish of you, as a trainee midwife to come onto boards critisicing ANY womans choice about how she would like to bring her baby into the world and what she would like her body to go through. At the end of the day, many women choose to have many different types of surgery for vanity alone. If they choose to have a c-section because they are afraid of child-birth or had a traumatic first labour/birth, I can totally understand that and really, you, being a midwife, should be fully supportive of their decision.

Ok, choosing it because they want to have the baby on a certain day, well that's just slightly over-board, but I can't imagine many women do that.....yet! Actually, there aren't many women (in my humble opinion) in this country who would WANT a c-section simply to avoid delivering naturally.....yet!!

We no longer have to hunt by running cross country bare-foot for miles each day to feed our children, injuring ourselves as we go.

We no longer accept and put up with, tonsils that are getting infected alot, we have them ripped out!

We no longer have to live with scars forever (we can have skin grafts to improve them)

We no longer have to live with wrinkles

We no longer have to give birth and raise a child if we become pregnant (ie. Abortion is beoming increasingly common) Why are so many women choosing this invasive procedure also? Simply, because they can, because they have the choice. Because things change and procedures develop.

Maybe in the future, we will no longer have to go through, pain & trauma of labour and chld-birth each time we deliver a baby, maybe that will be a simple choice a mother makes, whether she's in Waterford or Donegal, public or private patient. Maybe the obligation of chid-birth will no longer exists in a womans life in 100 years time and children will always be surgically removed from the womb, maybe, just maybe, it will end up being the SAFER option, what with cords getting stuck around necks, breech births, natural tearing and/or episiotomies leaving women incontinent, the amount of emergency c-sections (very dangerous things) carried out if labour isn't progressing at a healthy pace or baby is in trouble, and what about when the baby is overdue and there ends up meconium in the amniotic sack that the baby injests.....all of these risks are avoided when you have a planned c-section, I know there are other risks, but mother AND surgeon are prepared for all the risks and midwives are not and will never ALL be perfect at their jobs.

Maybe in 100 years time, women the world over will be aghast and in shock at the very NOTION of the females in history giving birth to a child through their vaginal opening!!

As the world has developed and medicine too, I think people in general are less weary of surgery, always weary, but less so as the years roll on and more and more different types of surgery are introduced and going under the knife becomes more commonplace, albeit for vanity reasons or medical. As a c-section dates back to god knows when, people trust surgeons now, especially in a routine procedure like a c-section (personally I would consider it a routine procedure as it takes place so often and surgeons get much practice performing these procedures) Many first-time mums may only need to hear some true stories about child-birth or witness it on television or be a birthing partner for a relative to realise that they will never EVER put themselves through all of that, no matter what the rewards. Many women may think that giving this baby a chance at life and raising this child with all of their love is enough to give to their child without HAVING to go through a natural birth for the childs sake also. I say, more power to the women who chase up a consultant to perform a c-section on them, although I enjoyed every part of my natural birth, I would never ever wish the after-trauma upon anybody.

And I really do belive that things will change in the future and that possibly, like Matrons, midwives will no longer be necessary - I'm not talking 10 years down the road though, as so many women are all for natural births at the moment....I'm talking about when we are all driving around on hover-cars that fly kind of future.....

Just a question now, how do ou feel, girlwithcurls, about epidurals? Aren't they quite dangerous too? Or do they not bother you so much, because you still have a job with epidurals? I know all the earth-mothers out there want to go through natural childbirth with no assistance at the moment as they're led to believe it's the safest and best thing in the world they could do for their child, but where's the proof, where's the stats to compare how many babies come into difficulties after a natural birth as opposed to a c-section birth? Where's the percentages? (maybe I'm wrong but I'd love to see proof)

Of course, all of the above is only my own humble little opinion and should probably be taken with a pinch of salt given the circumstances and my personal previous experiences.

Just needed a rant - if anybody read the lot, here's a leather medal for you ;)

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    I know all the earth-mothers out there want to go through natural childbirth with no assistance at the moment as they're led to believe it's the safest and best thing in the world they could do for their child, but where's the proof, where's the stats to compare how many babies come into difficulties after a natural birth as opposed to a c-section birth? Where's the percentages? (maybe I'm wrong but I'd love to see proof)

I read your entire post, and I respect the pain you've gone through post-birth b/c of your tearing and infections. I know you've had a horrendous experience (although you say you loved every bit of the actual birthing process). Please (please, please) don't take this the wrong way, but you sound very angry...have you talked to anyone about all the emotional and psychological pain you've lived with since your child was born?

Also, just as mothers who chose to have c-sections hate the label of being "too posh to push," I'd imagine women who chose to have completely natural childbirths hate being labelled as "earth-mothers". I know that always rubs me the wrong way. IMO, the term "earth-mother" implies an innocently niave hippy, not someone who has educated themselves about the natural process of childbearing and believes their own bodies are well capable of naturally delivering most births.

I did not have any intervention (no gas/air, no epidurals, no nothing) during my daughter's birth and yes, I am proud of that. However I knew that if my life or my baby's life was at any time endangered during the labour process I would've done anything required to attain a positive outcome.

So, l3LoWnA, I agree with most of what you're saying. I believe midwives (and any medical professional) should be there to educate and support their patients with whatever decision they make. But I hope you're wrong that someday natural childbearing will be a thing for the history books. I know you had a horrible experience, but my memories of childbirth are ones I'll cherish forever and I think it'd be sad if women totally forgo this miracle "just because" they can.

Oh, and regarding the quote I posted above, there is no way that completely objective stats can be created for the comparison you're asking. Since no one baby can go through both a natural and section delivery, there is no way to prove that any post-birth difficulties are linked to one type of delivery. All you can do is show how many naturally delivered babies have post-birth complications vs. how many section babies have complications. But that does not neccessarily show a link b/w the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fairymayri

It is actually very hard to find a true figure of the number of "elective" v "emergency" caesarean rates for Ireland as a whole, as there are all sorts of ways of manipulating data.

HI what a thread!!!i noticed a lot of questions were looking for stats especially from embee yet you claim above it is impossible to get true stats .i think ireland is very medicalised and intervention is the norm. i think sections are on the rise and i have heard of plenty who have choosen their dates. sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Embee wasn't claiming specific numbers...you can't start a thread on such an emotive topic & claim that specific numbers of women are doing X, Y or Z without a shred of evidence - or we could all make up threads claiming anything we like.

Why is it sad, anyway? People have cosmetic surgery, dental cosmetics, etc, etc - all surgery & they all carry risk - why can't or shouldn't women elect to have cesareans? I don't understand the "natural is always best" mentality. Different women want different things & thankfully in 2007 we can provide it. Someone who has had 7 natural home births is no better mother than someone who's had 3 section, in the scheme of things it's really not important.

If women who don't want intervention are being rail-roaded into having it then I totally agree but that is a separate topic to the one this thread was started about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fairymayri

well i thought this thread was started by girlwithcurls to find out why women are having sections willingely not to state stats. i just think its unfair. however i agree with you that women shouldnt be railroaded into whats natural. but arent sections more dangerous than a normal delivary.please dont attack my view its only an opinion

• Advertisement

fairymayri wrote: »
    well i thought this thread was started by girlwithcurls to find out why women are having sections willingely not to state stats. i just think its unfair. ... but arent sections more dangerous than a normal delivary.

Fairymayri - I think your question is why many posters (on all sides of the argument) have been looking for stats. However, I think it's impossible to generalize and say "natural" or "section" deliveries are more dangerous. Both have risks and both can become complicated by human error or Mother Nature forcing her hand. And since no one birth can be both natural and sectioned, it's hard to say that all post-birth realities were caused by the method of birthing. Obviously, however, some after-effects can be directly linked (ie.: clipped bladder, torn linings, etc).

This is why some posters (myself included) have said "let each delivery be its own" and let the mother make up her own mind. If she wishes to give birth standing on her head, what difference should it make as long as she and baby come out of it ok?

People get so defensive and argumentative when their birthing and/or parenting methods are questioned. But my point stands - why does any of it matter if mom and baby are healthy in the end? Let each person educate themselves and make a conscience decision of what is best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Ayla wrote: »
    I read your entire post, and I respect the pain you've gone through post-birth b/c of your tearing and infections. I know you've had a horrendous experience (although you say you loved every bit of the actual birthing process).

Hi Ayla!

(thx for reading :) )

I didn't mind Labour one bit, yes the pains were bad but I had trained myself to focus on the positive side to the pains, knew exactly why I was in pain, an what was happening inside my body. I'd do it again no problem (I went through most of it at home, by myself, and I can't say the pushing was easy but it def wasn't painful so I'd do that again too - also unaided - no drugs, which was my choice, I wanted to do it all without any pain-killers or whatever)
    Please (please, please) don't take this the wrong way, but you sound very angry...have you talked to anyone about all the emotional and psychological pain you've lived with since your child was born?

No, nobody, I'm not generally angry about it, I haven't thought or spoke about it in ages, it was over 3.5 years ago now. It's just when I saw another midwife with these ideas "too posh to push" etc that it's riled me a bit :( I believe women should and eventually will, have the choice whether they want to go through labour and child-birth or not. Those who want to and feel it's their duty and makes them a better mother/person or more fulfilled or proud of themselves, can go right ahead and give birth naturally and those who don't, won't have to. It's not about being too posh, it's deinately not about being a bad mother, as I know plenty of them who would refuse pain-relief/c-section also.....it's about a personal choice. I know women who have perfectly normal births (naturally) and still find it extremely traumatic. I'm sorry to say, not everyone is ecstatically overwhelmed by the beauty of their darling child straight away after 12 hours of labour and 2 hours of pushing, so much so that they forget about it and are simply proud of themselves and delighted with their healthy baby.

My best friend also went through a very long and traumatic labour and eventually had an emergency c-section and heamorraged. I believe the doctors knew there were risks and should have gave her the option of a c-section in advance, but they didn't, she was a public patient! I'm not angry, I just think women should have more of a choice and not be led to believe one way is any more risky than another when no-body actually KNOWS what might go wrong in a natural OR a c-section birth!
    Also, just as mothers who chose to have c-sections hate the label of being "too posh to push," I'd imagine women who chose to have completely natural childbirths hate being labelled as "earth-mothers". I know that always rubs me the wrong way. IMO, the term "earth-mother" implies an innocently niave hippy, not someone who has educated themselves about the natural process of childbearing and believes their own bodies are well capable of naturally delivering most births.

You're completely right. I shouldn't have used that term - sorry if I offended anyone. I was one of those though, well, I was a mum-to-be who was led to believe (and I stress that) that giving birth naturally without any medication was gonig to be the best thing for baby AND the best thing for me, and that's genuinely what I wanted to do also. (I never, once throughout whole pregnancy had any internal examination so for all the doc/nurses knew I was deformed down there...nobody examined me, I didn't have my pants off for the whole pregnancy, the first time I had an internal was when I was 9 centimetres dialated, so how did they KNOW I was ok to deliver naturally? They didn't, they presumed) It possibly would have been all ok though, had the midwife done her job properly so yes, I do have some bitterness within me towards midwives and their we-know-what's-best for everyone and our-way-or-no-way attitude I suppose, but I'm not angry. I even called up to my midwife with a present a few weeks after.
    I did not have any intervention (no gas/air, no epidurals, no nothing) during my daughter's birth and yes, I am proud of that.

Same here - I'm proud too when I think about it. But I'm more proud that I created her than the fact that I gave birth to her though. I'm more proud that she's showing signs of the way I've mothered her thus far by being happy and bubbly and loving. I don't really dwell on the fact that I pushed her out of me as that's what women all over the world have been doing for thousands of years...that's what my mother did. But I'd also be just as proud of myself to go under anaesthethic in order to bring my next child into the world. I'd be proud of carrying him/her and nuturing him/her for 9 months inside me, I'd be proud of giving my baby life, but I don't need to or want to go through labour again. I'd be no less proud if I chose a c-section than I would be if I went natural again. I know I can justify wanting a c-section becaue of my particular trauma first time around, but I still believe it should be a choice for all women. And I dont understand why some people think those who choose c-sections or want them are selfish and/or too-posh-to-push. They're having their abdomen and uterus sliced open, They're going under on a operating table. They are no less brave than women who have a natural birth, they simply make a different choice.
    But I hope you're wrong that someday natural childbearing will be a thing for the history books.

In some ways, I hope I'm wrong too, I just can see that's the way the world is going, slowly but surely....I NEVER would have chosen a c-section first time around, or next time around had I not had the experiences I had myself after the birth! Just want to clarify that.
    I know you had a horrible experience, but my memories of childbirth are ones I'll cherish forever and I think it'd be sad if women totally forgo this miracle "just because" they can.

Fertilisation, pregnancy and birth are ALL miracles in their own ways, I don't know what's so miraculous about a watermelon being squeezed through a straw though leaving it stretched, sore and bleeding. It would be a "miracle" if the baby just appeared beside you when you woke up one morning and your belly was flat as a pancake - now that would truly be the miracle! :)

Who knows, in the future they'll prob perform a c-section to take baby and finish off with a tummy tuck immediately :D
    All you can do is show how many naturally delivered babies have post-birth complications vs. how many section babies have complications. But that does not neccessarily show a link b/w the two.

Yes, but it would still be interesting to see, as we all know, we are advised all our lives that delivering naturally is definately less risk for mother & baby and the way it's "meant" to be. I would just love to know how risky it actually is (without everyone saying "it's major surgery" blah blah blah, pushing a baby out through your cervix is actually quite a bloody major thing too, plus the baby can be stuck in the cervix unable to breath for a hell of a long time in some cases...there are many pro's and cons to both methods of delivery, but I believe, women should be more educated about both and it shouldn't be frowned upon if a lady decides she would prefer to have a c-section)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

fairymayri wrote: »
    well i thought this thread was started by girlwithcurls to find out why women are having sections willingely not to state stats. i just think its unfair. however i agree with you that women shouldnt be railroaded into whats natural. but arent sections more dangerous than a normal delivary.please dont attack my view its only an opinion

To be fair it had a lot less to do with finding out why women choose electives & more to do with being incredulous that anyone would want to - in a fairly offensive manner.

Sections have an associated risk, vaginal delivery has associated risk, driving a car has associated risk, crossing the road has...well, you get the idea.

I never get the big hoo-ha surrounding birthing either, it's the next 21+yrs that will test my abilities as a parent & intelligence & patience & my whole being far more than the x hrs of labour & birth - in the scheme of things does it really matter how women choose to birth as long they are happy with their decision? And what does their happiness have to do with anyone else?

I think their should be better birthing facilities, more doula's & home-birth midwifes available, partners not only allowed but welcomed into calming & comfortable labour suites, water births, etc freely available to all who wish - not the horrendous 1950's cattle mart we have at the moment. Maybe if the birth experience in Ireland could be improved & we could avoid the blood spattered showers, obs with little or no bedside manner, rooms fit to bursting with crying babies & exhausted mammies - not just for those willing & able to pay for the private room - then more women would look forward to their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I had to have a c-section as i was REALLy sick (on verge of stroking) and they didnt want the baby to get sick as well. I'd have to say i'm so so afraid of pushing out a baby, but then who isn't. i'm scheduled for another c-section due to how i was cut, and even if the cut was to allow me to deliver "normaly" theres still the problem of me not dilating. But I wouldn't chose to just be cut open. i'd love to try it the normal way.

After girlwiththecurl was banned form this forum she created the fairymayri account to get around the ban, this is against the site rules and so the accound was sitebanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

:D I have to laugh at this! As a student midwife you'd surely know that a woman who has had a c-section will be at least 5 days in hospital with her baby (I was 8 days in hospital after), while a woman who has given birth normally, with no complications, can be discharged as soon as 12 hrs after the birth. I had a section and breast-fed afterwards. Yes, I was uncomfortable but once I was sitting in the chair and baby was supported properly then it was fine. Women in the room who had had stitching down there, episiotomies and tears and so on, seemed to have a much harder time sitting on a chair to bresat-feed or bottle-feed their babies.

Incidentally, the reason for my c-section was because the baby was breech. She was breech for the entire second half of the pregnancy, kicked only slightly and never once turned. The consultant told me at 6 mths that a c-section would probably be needed but we agreed to leave the decision until closer to the time. He said there was no way the baby could be turned. At 8 mths check-up he said c-section was absolutely necessary (due to breech position and my tiny size even though baby was only average size), so a date 2 weeks later was put in the diary (chosen by him). I went into labour the next week and arrived into the hospital 3/4 dilated and with my waters long broken so the consultant was called up and brought in from his home in order to do an emergency c-section.

My c-section was initially marked as an "elective" (the kind you have a problem with) although it was decided on for medical reasons, but ended up being an emergency, so that makes it alright in your book? How is it that if I had not gone into labour early myself and had the "elective" section then I would have been "too posh to push" but because it was rushed (and therefore more dangerous) it was fine?

Anyway, I always thought that "too posh to push" meant women in the public eye or celebrities having a c-section done privately, so that they could have liposuction and/or a tummy-tuck done the same day and then emerge out into the world 6 weeks later with every spare bit of baby-weight and bulge miraculously gone from their figures???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Regarding many "elective" sections being for medical reasons: I am on a couple of US based pregnancy boards, and there, they call a medically necessary/ desirable section (for example for multiples, breech, pre-eclampsia etc) a "scheduled" section, and elective is really only used for non-medical reasons, such as wanting to have the baby before Christmas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A good point to make.

Its a complex subject and some of the stats are not useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wanabehome

Thaedydal wrote: »
    After girlwiththecurl was banned form this forum she created the fairymayri account to get around the ban, this is against the site rules and so the accound was sitebanned.

Thats funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I've had 3 births - all different
    the first - high intervention - epidural, episotomy, forceps, ventouse delivery
    the second - no pain relief, very straight forward albeit long and painful (but manageable), born over Christmas - no suggestion from consultant that I be induced to suit him or me
    the third - breech baby - hospitalised for a week before delivery - baby presenting with an unstable lie - manual turining of the baby 4 times to try and allow a natural delivery followed by a scheduled c-section when that didn't work

Of the three give me the "natural" any day, but breasfed all 3 (and am still feeding DD 14 months on) - was I too posh to push - nope - I'd have done anything in my power not to have a section - but at the end of the day I wanted a healthy baby and with the lie she was in, there was a very significant risk of ma prolapsed umbilical cord if I went into spontaneous labour and my waters broke - so after trying to see if she would move into a better position for delivery and not succeeding I had a section and a beautiful healthy baby - the most important result.

BTW I've yet to meet anyone I know who was "too posh to push"

Advertisement