Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding SLi

Options
  • 05-12-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

I have decided to upgrade my P4 PC by purchasing an Upgrade Kit from Kompliett.ie. I got the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan
    Asus P5N-E SLI, nForce-650i SLI, ATX, Socket-775, GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    A-DATA DDR2 PC5300 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched DDR2 667 1024MB CL5

I currently have a Point of View 7800GTX and I was thinking of getting a second one for around €100 EUR (second hand) and go SLi until I can afford something much better.

Now, I've never had an SLi system so I'm a little worried about this...

Anyway, I found a 7800GTX on Adverts.ie but this one was made by XFX and it is factory overclocked to 480MHz / MHz1300. Mine was made by Point of View and is running at the standard 430MHz / 1200MHz.

My questions: are these two cards compatible for SLi? Can I tweak my PoV 7800GTX to match the clock speed of the XFX card? Or can I "de-tune" the XFX to match the PoV card?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

hi,
    from what ive read so far SLI is not all its cracked up to be because of poor drivers.
    there are some FAQ's here http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq

Some reviews even suggesting games get slower with SLI!
    So i dont know.

Ive upgraded myself recently and I suppose its a good time as there are many new and exciting cards becoming available at good prices.

Me I'm gonna wait for this new GTS and see what happens then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes they will work.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_game.html

List of supported games there. You can set profiles for certain games if it is causing problems in Sli mode so that it only uses one gpu.

While games do sometimes get slower with Sli this is the exception and a very small minority. Most big games support Sli.

I used Sli for a while and while I did experience problems in certain games (MOH Airborne in particular) the large majority of games gave me excellent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its really only makes a difference when the res is put up.. I went from a 22" to a 30" which is a big increase in resolution! So I had to go SLI to have the same performance! I was playing games like bf2 on the 30" 2560X1600 and I was getting about 50 - 60fps but with another 8800 GTX I was getting 99fps constant! This is with all AA maxed out!

The only game so far that has murdered the PC is crysis every other game plays fairly well!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well lads, you don't have to worry about this thread anymore!

Indeed, my wonderful girlfriend is getting me the XFX Alpha Dog Nvidia 8800GT Extreme Version for Xmas! :D

Advertisement