Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you make eye contact with strangers?

• 05-12-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just curious, when youre walking down the road and you pass people by, do you look at them? Or are you completely focused on the direction youre headed? I feel i almost have to look at them!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

kevthecelt wrote: »
    Just curious, when youre walking down the road and you pass people by, do you look at them? Or are you completely focused on the direction youre headed? I feel i almost have to look at them!!

Or you'll die?

I tend to on the LUAS, sometimes you get a smile but more often than not people look intimidated

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Only if they're good looking and male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tend not to usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

If her boobs aren't impressive, then sure, I might give her eye contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do it with everyone... even the dodgy feckers. Can be interesting seeing if they stare back, or are making an odd face or just looking down at the ground themselves.
    A lot of people are definately uncomfortable with it. I guess it depends on your own 'face' - I'd always be neutral or perhaps friendly, depending on the person. If you get someone with a right threatening scowl on their face making eye contact, it's not too plesent.

• Advertisement

Lean forward unblinkingly until your nose is touching theirs and say "I just want to get involved with your molestables"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I make eye contact using my thumbs and their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

only if she gives me the eye first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Usually look them in the eye. Looked some hot guy in a tux in the eyes the other night...Then he stole my taxi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I dont have great eyesight for long distance, I find if I look at people and miss seeing someone i know when walking past they think im blanking them, I tend to just concentrate on where I'm going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

only if she gives me the eye first
    But how do you know she's giving you the eye if your not looking at her eyes.

I take it one step further and give everyone the country nod, it has gotten out of control in the past when I've visited cities so I've Reduced my nods to every 5th - 10th person depending on crowd density. I can't help it, I think it's just a side affect of being a muck savage I can't help but acknowledge the presence of other people.

It gets worse when I'm stuck in the same place as other people for an extended period of time. I feel this terrible compulsion to strike up a conversation and I'm not like that at home at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 j_lennon

Im working in India at the moment and over here i think its rude not to stare at people. I get it all the time because im white and even more when im with an Indian girl so i just give them a friendly smile and a nice big wave!! :D They usually get embarrassed and turn away. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

LadyJ wrote: »
    Usually look them in the eye. Looked some hot guy in a tux in the eyes the other night...Then he stole my taxi!

Ah but did he also steal your heart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Only when I masturbate.

Ah but did he also steal your heart?

No, just my taxi. In fact, guy in tux, if you're reading this then screw you! Nice outfit though! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't look every single person in the eye, but every so often I will. If there's a dodgey looking chap or knacker kids walking in my direction I'll usually scowl and make eye contact, just in case they felt like passing a comment or robbing me :) Works a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I often do, usually people look up, accidentally make eye contact with you and then look away guiltily. Then for the rest of the train/bus journey there's that occasional furtive glance to see if you're still looking, and if you happen to be looking in the general direction you catch their glance, making things even more awkward :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Yes!.
    And if it's female , i always do the derogatory smile (wink sometimes) , then the afterlook , ie look back to check those hipswings & ass obviously.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

kevthecelt wrote: »

I hate people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Only with good-looking women. No interest in anyone else.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote: »
    I often do, usually people look up, accidentally make eye contact with you and then look away guiltily. Then for the rest of the train/bus journey there's that occasional furtive glance to see if you're still looking, and if you happen to be looking in the general direction you catch their glance, making things even more awkward :)

haha! Happens all the time, especially in the evening on the dart when it's dark and you're looking out the window but can't see anything apart from the person's reflection in front of you. Thats very akward when you both catch eye contact through the window....

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I hate people like you.

Why's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I make eye contact with everyone pretty much all the time.....i have millions of eyes.....

in all seriousness, if i'm taking to you then i'm looking you in the eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'm a culchie and working on a site sorta in the middle of nowhere at the minute, so not only do i make eye contact with every person i see, but i also wave at them and in most cases i'll stop for a chat as well.
    Some old dude spent an hour and 15mins yesterday talking to me about the war in Iraq. Opinionated old fcuker, so he was. He also seemed to think that all of Africa was in South Africa, for some reason.

ibh wrote: »
    He also seemed to think that all of Africa was in South Africa, for some reason.

this type pf **** form the elderly is classic... got told by an aul one earlier this year that there were 5 million "coloureds" in the country.... just had to laugh at her

(incidentally she said she didnt mind them, there were just too many)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

this type pf **** form the elderly is classic... got told by an aul one earlier this year that there were 5 million "coloureds" in the country.... just had to laugh at her

(incidentally she said she didnt mind them, there were just too many)

Oh yea he had lots of other gems like why Aids is so rampant in Africa (South Africa obviously), how in 50 years there will be no 'proper' white people, only darkies, why Iranastan(I kid you not, this is what he called Iran!!) needs a big fcuking bomb dropped on it and that'll sort it all out. Too many other perils of wisdom to remember.
    I have to say, i thought it was hilarious, and i did burst my hole laughing a few times while he continued on, deadly serious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I wink and make kissey faces at everyone I see, all of the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ScumLord wrote: »
    But how do you know she's giving you the eye if your not looking at her eyes.

if i look at her and catch her looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I like to give the ladies the Jap eye ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Yes, I tend to make eye contact.. and when I'm home (Donegal) it'd be the country nod and probably an "a'right" aswell.

Friendlier people in the country. Do that in Dublin and you'd be lucky to get any reaction at all.

hottstuff wrote: »
    Why's that?

I tend to feel very uncomfortable when people stare/look at me. [Shivers]

ibh wrote: »
    Oh yea he had lots of other gems like why Aids is so rampant in Africa (South Africa obviously), how in 50 years there will be no 'proper' white people, only darkies, why Iranastan(I kid you not, this is what he called Iran!!) needs a big fcuking bomb dropped on it and that'll sort it all out. Too many other perils of wisdom to remember.
    I have to say, i thought it was hilarious, and i did burst my hole laughing a few times while he continued on, deadly serious...

Other ones I've heard:

england is at the mercy of Al Qaeda because there are some many blacks working at the airports (from an English bloke)

All Immigrants get free cars as soon as they get here

"We" (from an old Irish bloke) should "take out North Korea" (it'd be interesting to see how we'd fare in a war against a fanatical, ideologically-driven nuclear armed nation with as many soldier as we have people)

Jews keep gold under their caps (told to my sister by a bloke who was unaware our Ma is Jewish)

and so on... racists have the funniest anecdotes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

wow lol that was me! I was in a tux and stole some boweler's taxi!

I tend to feel very uncomfortable when people stare/look at me. [Shivers]

ah i see , so i take it your a hottie then? ;)
    They say eye contact shows your mental strength and confidence.

hottstuff wrote: »
    ah i see , so i take it your a hottie then? ;)
    They say eye contact shows your mental strength and confidence.

Either a hottie and I would...
    or a minger and ugh...

lol Idk! I never look at people on the street, far too uncomfortable! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

moco wrote: »
    Only if they're good looking and male!

Me too. I am always looking at girl's clothes too which must look like I am checking them out.

Sounds like you have some severe psychological problems

I understand , plenty of weirdos out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Goodshape wrote: »
    Yes, I tend to make eye contact.. and when I'm home (Donegal) it'd be the country nod and probably an "a'right" aswell.

Friendlier people in the country. Do that in Dublin and you'd be lucky to get any reaction at all.

Would you get off the stage! They're not more friendly in Donegal - they're just nosier. You'd swear you were Crocodile Dundee saying "alright" to ever person you walk past on O'Connell street. The reason you nod at people in Donegal or wherever, is because there's only you and him on the road, not thousands of people milling up and down a city street. Only a complete halfwit would say hello to everyone they walk past in a city.

Sounds like you have some severe psychological problems

Eh I'm sure you'll find the majority of people would rather walk to work/college without every second person staring at them...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh, no, you must be mistaken. I'm a filthy ride! :D

Oh, no, you must be mistaken. I'm a filthy ride! :D

Result!!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Would you get off the stage! They're not more friendly in Donegal - they're just nosier. You'd swear you were Crocodile Dundee saying "alright" to ever person you walk past on O'Connell street. The reason you nod at people in Donegal or wherever, is because there's only you and him on the road, not thousands of people milling up and down a city street. Only a complete halfwit would say hello to everyone they walk past in a city.

pfft.. Donegal is the most friendlierist place in the whole wide world.

Anyway, not every street in Dublin is populated by thousands of people at all times. People in Dublin / cities in general just tend to have more going on.. no time for exchanging niceties with random passers by.

Plus, chances are, in Donegal you either know the person or they know you, or they know your family, or you think they might... so you don't want to be rude :)

But I stand by my observation, whatever the reasons behind it :: in Dublin and you'd be lucky to get any reaction at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Touché Jimmy, touché, pissed myself:D:D:D

Eh I'm sure you'll find the majority of people would rather walk to work/college without every second person staring at them...:rolleyes:

Its not a problem for the majority of people, as every second perosn dosent stare at them... besides, how do you know someone staring at you unless youre looking at them?

Goodshape wrote: »
    Anyway, not every street in Dublin is populated by thousands of people at all times. People in Dublin / cities in general just tend to have more going on.. no time for exchanging niceties with random passers by.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Always catch their eye. Sometimes smile, sometimes say hello. Guess I'm just one of those annoyingly friendly people!

Dinxminx wrote: »
    Always catch their eye. Sometimes smile, sometimes say hello. Guess I'm just one of those annoyingly friendly people!

Goddamn!!!
    I'm jealous.;)

Its not a problem for the majority of people, as every second perosn dosent stare at them... besides, how do you know someone staring at you unless youre looking at them?

Ha thats actually a very good question...!

You just do the aul looking through the side of the eye trick...you can see them but they cant tell you can them too! :D

Ha thats actually a very good question...!

You just do the aul looking through the side of the eye trick...you can see them but they cant tell you can them too! :D

Or you could get sunglasses! Maybe there a whole new world of staring about to be opened up to you, Cheeckygal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement