Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goose!

• 05-12-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Folks, having the family over for Christmas and am thinking of Goose as none of them are mad about Turkey.

Anyone have recipes or links for same? Also any recommendations on sides for Goose would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brigid

Just noticed the title of your thread - havn't a clue how to cook goose but just wondering if anyone knows of a shop that sells goose fat? Want to use it to roast potatoes cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Brigid wrote: »
    Just noticed the title of your thread - havn't a clue how to cook goose but just wondering if anyone knows of a shop that sells goose fat? Want to use it to roast potatoes cheers

You should get it in any of the supermarkets, I know Dunnes definitely have it - Lakeshore for around €3.49. Some butchers also sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Bridgid, as with pigletlover Im pretty sure you can get in the supermarkets. Dont think SuperQ have it but then they have gone downhill big time....

I have a feeling I saw it in Dunnes Beacon Quarter recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Go with Goose if you can get one, they are special. Stuff it with mashed potato (see link for Simon Hopkinson's recipe) as it absorbs the fat while cooking and you will have the best mashed potato you have ever tasted. As your supplier to either leave a good bit of fat on the goose or give you some separately for your roast potato. Keep your sides fairly light (eg broccoli) as the meat and potato will be heavy.

http://www.womanandhome.com/features/food/simon_hopkinsons_goose__christmas_lunch_article_98466.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kenco:
    How many are you having for dinner? There is not a whole lot of meat on a goose so you may need to do more than one if there are a good few of you.

Re: Goose Fat - even the likes of Supervalu are flogging it these days.

• Advertisement

Kenco, let me know how the goose goes for you if you decide to cook it, I'm thinking of having it for new years. That mashed potato stuffing sounds gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I love goose, but I usually go for just the breast, either still on the backbone, or fillets and treat just like duck. Lidl (and probably Aldi) usually have a good selection of frozen goose and duck around this time of year.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Kenco:
    How many are you having for dinner? There is not a whole lot of meat on a goose so you may need to do more than one if there are a good few of you.

Re: Goose Fat - even the likes of Supervalu are flogging it these days.

HB: cooking for 5 adults and one junior!
    Checked it out with some country relatives who cook it and warned me of the problems. They pointed me towards a prepared (I know, I know) crown which should be more than enough.

Kenco, let me know how the goose goes for you if you decide to cook it, I'm thinking of having it for new years. That mashed potato stuffing sounds gorgeous.

Will do but as you will see from another post I have gone with a goose crown (pre stuffed) as I think it could have been a potential disaster first time out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

kenco wrote: »
    They pointed me towards a prepared (I know, I know) crown which should be more than enough.
    Good for you – Whatever makes life easier, particularly on such a hectic day as Christmas Day.

See if you can get the carcass though & you could use it to make stock ahead of time for your gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'd be concerned about a goose crown being enough to feed 5 adults and a child - we cook a whole goose and 3 adults + 3 children finish it off in one sitting. A full goose will be between 12 and 14 lb usually, they don't come in a big range of weights like turkeys. A lot of the weight is in the large carcass...

You may want to have a ham or something additional to be sure.... (can be cooked before and warmed easily on the day).

muckety wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about a goose crown being enough to feed 5 adults and a child - we cook a whole goose and 3 adults + 3 children finish it off in one sitting. A full goose will be between 12 and 14 lb usually, they don't come in a big range of weights like turkeys. A lot of the weight is in the large carcass...

You may want to have a ham or something additional to be sure.... (can be cooked before and warmed easily on the day).

Thanks Muckety, I had heard that about Goose alright. With the exception of myself the others appetites are not huge so I think we will be OK. I will also have some monkfish on standby if any of them dont fancy the goose on the day

Best of luck with your own it sounds mega!

First of all, many thanks to all for your feedback and assistance on this (big shout out to hillbilly and muckety)

pigletlover, it worked a treat but initially it looked like I only had just enough . There is not much on it and it did not carve easiliy. I took a trick from Jamie Oliver and did not serve it on each plate but on a platter in the middle and let everyone take what they wanted. Worked well (there were two guys with big appetites and three women with smaller ones). If you have the tome before serving there is plenty of meat around the legs and closer to the bone (if took most of this off when I was tiding up later on). If you are serving on a platter I would just tear off what you can off the carcas and serve it on the platter.

Good tip from some of my relatives was to serve mashed spud with some apple sauce mixed through it (worked really well)

Hope all goes well with your planned meal!

I wasn't on here over christmas to see Kenco's update on how his dinner went today, maybe if I had I wouldn't have bothered with the goose, but I had it as planned on new years day. I must say I was a little disappointed, I got a whole goose, just under 5 kg and it barely fed the two of us. I used the stuffing recipe muckety posted, it was nice but it didn't soak much of the goose fat. I served it with roast potatoes, honey glazed carrots and parsnips and runner beans. I don't think I'll be trying it again, it wasn't anything special, imo duck has a much nicer flavour.

Advertisement