Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2008 as it happens

Options
  • 05-12-2007 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

If there's anyone out there who will be watching the live budget and can fill us in as it happens with respect to motors (car tax, VRT and the like)

If anyone has any observations/predictions to make, this would also be most welcome. Handy for those who have no access to the TV/radio for a while!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TV at work is busy entertaining the bastard child from hell. As soon as it goes, I'll be switiching over to Biffo and friends for the Budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Why dont you log onto RTE.ie link the links for Radio 1 and listen to the budget from your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rumour has it Minister Cowan is eating a chicken sandwich as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

It would be some craic if he had a big dollop of relish on his shirt after lunch. Then told us that he is introducing a "fat tax".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And by chicken sandwich, you mean 4 whole chickens sandwiched in between two slices of beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Also to prove that gas guzzling big cars produce very high emissions
    He is going to eat a Range Rover and then Fart
    Letting out those emissions for us all to suffer :D

Hmmm preparing to get a sore arse after this buget with a 2.5L motor:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Just shy of 10% increase of tax on cars below 2.5ltr didn't catch above lucky mine is 2498cc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Road Tax is going up 9.5% if the car is under 2.5L
    Going up 11% for over 2.5L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Misheard. delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

VRT! Changes are as expected from July 1st. Co2 rating with 7 bands like white goods system 14-36%. Broadly revenue neutral he says. We'll see. VRT free hybrids? Or did I miss that?

Annual motor-tax up by 9 and 11% from Jan 1st (2500cc cut off). Then tax linked to CO2 from July.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

sgthighway wrote: »
    Road Tax is going up 9.5% if the car is under 2.5L
    Going up 11% for over 2.5L

motor tax,
    increase
    9.5% below 2.5L
    11% above 2.5L

from feb 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

He Just announced what we expected!

VRT based on CO2 emissions from July 1st.

7 Bands - from 16 - 36% dependent on C02 output.

bla bla bla

PS Oh and he's wearing a Gold tie (for anyone who bet on it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Road Tax:
    9.5% increase on cars up to 2.5L
    11% increase on cars over 2.5L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

load of balls

My tax is due for renewal this month so will break the habit of a lifetime and do it for 12 months.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

mike65 wrote: »
    My tax is due for renewal this month so will break the habit of a lifetime and do it for 12 months.

Mike.

Am doing my car tax as we speak. Saving 27e by doing it now.

New labelling system for VRT on cars, similiar to those on white goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So my tax will go from €1343 to €1492...

How about the polluter pays, minister? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Probably a better bet to wait until January 31st to pay your tax. That's what I'd be doing - if I hadn't paid it yesterday. A €50 hike for me - about the cost of a tank of petrol over a year or half a night out - can't really complain too much to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Anyone know is it Jan 1st or Feb 1st that tax is going up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    Motor tax changes usually take place at midnight on the night of the budget. You'd want to get moving.

EDIT: Just read it's going up on Feb 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

HYBRIDS...

I will continue to give recognition to the efforts of vehicle manufacturers to promote new technologies. Existing incentives for certain hybrid electric and flexible fuel cars are being extended to 1 July 2008. Thereafter and in addition to the benefit of the new CO2 based VRT system, I will be providing for a further top-up relief up to €2,500 on the VRT payable on such cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ice_Box wrote: »
    HYBRIDS...

I will continue to give recognition to the efforts of vehicle manufacturers to promote new technologies. Existing incentives for certain hybrid electric and flexible fuel cars are being extended to 1 July 2008. Thereafter and in addition to the benefit of the new CO2 based VRT system, I will be providing for a further top-up relief up to €2,500 on the VRT payable on such cars.

Wonder does any of this apply to 2nd hand imports from the UK?

Biffo mentioned fags are up but did'nt raise taxes on booze or even mention fuels.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

TJJP wrote: »
    Road Tax:
    8.5% increase on cars up to 2.5L
    11% increase on cars over 2.5L

IOL.IE Says
    For cars registered form July 1 2008 onwards VRT will be determined by carbon emissions rather than engine size. Cars which emit more carbon will be subject to more VRT.

There will also be an increase in motor taxation. Cars with an engine size under 2 litres will see their tax increased by 9% and those over 2 litres will face an increase of 11%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cashmni1 wrote: »
    It would be some craic if he had a big dollop of relish on his shirt after lunch. Then told us that he is introducing a "fat tax".

Excellent :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ice_Box wrote: »
    HYBRIDS...

Expect sales of flexi fuel cars to boom. Volvo, Saab and Ford to benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Does the VRT change apply to NEW cars only? Or 2nd hand imports too?!

Advertisement