Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2008 as it happens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Does the VRT change apply to NEW cars only? Or 2nd hand imports too?!

Both new and second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kluivert wrote: »
    Both new and second hand.
    Where did you read that it applies to 2nd hand?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VRT has always applied to new and imported used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My motor tax will go from €484 to €530 by my calculations :/

If I was to buy my car next year it'd be a good bit cheaper though. 20% VRT instead of 25%. (152g/km co2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Yes VRT rates are VRT rates regardless of new or SH

As I am picking up new car in early Jan I will be able to tax at current rate and save a few quid:)

This may help make up for the fact that my car would be cheaper in July due to reduction in VRT:rolleyes:

Anyway I know it might seem alot right now but is a few quid (around €150 a year max, as little as €20 or €30) really gonna result in everybody dumping big cars for small hybrids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Motor Tax over 3l: €1,343 -> €1,491.
    €148 increase.

That's less than the cost of 2 fills of petrol.

Screw the eco-mentalists, I'll be carrying on business as usual.
    I'll bet I've planted a lot more trees than most of them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So basically, you're better off selling your car now, before the new budget kicks in. Surely it will have a knock on effect for 2nd hand pricing? ie, a "nearly new" car (bought in april 08 may work out more expensive than a car bought in Aug 08 according to VRT changes????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

DMC wrote: »

According to this, no increase on commercial vehicles.....Whoo Hoo! Big fat commie jeeps for the winner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

unkel wrote: »
    So my tax will go from €1343 to €1492...

How about the polluter pays, minister? :mad:

My sentiments exactly, the man who drives 50k miles a year in a 1.6 will pay only a third of your tax, even if you only drive your (3.5, 4.0?) car 1k miles a year

F**king morons, how is that green thinking????!!

:mad:
    :mad::mad:
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

MAOLEARY

The only way to have a tax along the lines of what you are getting at is to have it on usage (i.e. on fuel)

so get rid of motor tax and increase petrol tax by €1 a litre or whatever; would you prefer that?

Riskymove wrote: »
    MAOLEARY

The only way to have a tax along the lines of what you are getting at is to have it on usage (i.e. on fuel)

so get rid of motor tax and increase petrol tax by €1 a litre or whatever; would you prefer that?

Exactly, a fair dispersal of the tax so that the polluter actually pays

I imagine you pulled the €1 a litre figure out of the air, I imagine it would be much lower. If you are one of the smaller engine drivers, I imagine you would see it as unfair, since smaller cars get away with murder, irrespective of how many miles a year or C02 emitted

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

mike65 wrote: »
    Annual motor-tax up by 9 and 11% from Jan 1st (2500cc cut off). Then tax linked to CO2 from July.

Mike.

What is going to happen to the Motor tax in July?

Old Jim wrote: »
    What is going to happen to the Motor tax in July?

No details as yet from DOFinance, it's not contained on any of the annexes to the Budget

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Any site that has the Cars Co2 emmisions so we can see where we fit in?

http://usedcars.virginmedia.com/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=car_specs

Handy for older second hand cars and some of the newer ones

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

jank wrote: »

This could be what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

This should have everything. Bit cumbersome - but it works for me. Just checked mine and it's 236g CO2/km - the highest band. Here's hoping they don't start basing road tax on that anytime soon!!!! :eek:

http://data.carmagazine.co.uk/gbu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

SO hang on a minute, is this a 9% increase on all cars below 2.5L or just 1.6 to 2.5L

maoleary wrote: »
    Exactly, a fair dispersal of the tax so that the polluter actually pays

I imagine you pulled the €1 a litre figure out of the air, I imagine it would be much lower. If you are one of the smaller engine drivers, I imagine you would see it as unfair, since smaller cars get away with murder, irrespective of how many miles a year or C02 emitted

Not at all I have no problem with that, I just wondered what you would prefer given you just expressed anger at the Budget but not what you thought would be a proper alternative.

I think tax on petrol is the only fair tax regarding emmissions

The rate changes in motor tax are absolutely not green based in anyway it is purely about extra tax revenue. If it was green it would at least be based on emmissions not just standard % rises across engine sizes - both petrol and diesel

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    SO hang on a minute, is this a 9% increase on all cars below 2.5L or just 1.6 to 2.5L

9.5% on all cars from under 1 litre up to 2.5L

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

parkers.co.uk

Usually on the last page of the review for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

So we can expect a flood of 2nd hand diesel cars form the UK (even more so than normal) post july as VRT will be cheaper.

Is it me or will the 2nd hand market for (originally Irish) diesels be fecked after July?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

My tax is up the end of the month, I must tax my alfa for a year before the increase comes into effect in February! 9.5% though, when was the last time it was adjusted? We pay far too much road tax here. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.smmt.co.uk/co2/co2search.cfm

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk/search-co2.html?section=company

My car has 226 co2 gm/km I'm a planet killer.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good stuff. I can imagine people making the most of these new VRT rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My Alfa 156 1.6 seems to have a C02 of 195. is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

astraboy wrote: »
    My tax is up the end of the month, I must tax my alfa for a year before the increase comes into effect in February! 9.5% though, when was the last time it was adjusted? We pay far too much road tax here. :mad:

Last time motor tax was changed was in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My 1.9TDI Passat reports 192 g/km - whatever that means :confused: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

snaps wrote: »
    My Alfa 156 1.6 seems to have a C02 of 195. is that good or bad?
    It's not great. It falls into the second highest band of CO2 Emission bands of 32%. My car falls into the second lowest band so I'm really hoping for them to base motortax on the CO2 emissions come July

Advertisement