Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracters

Options
  • 05-12-2007 1:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I know there's a limit on how long someone can contract to a company without being an employee, but I don't know the details. Would I get away with employing someone as a contractor for a year I wonder?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

yep, i had a uk contractor for 3 years, its getting away with it, she paid her own paye and NI (prsi)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dahamsta wrote: »
    I know there's a limit on how long someone can contract to a company without being an employee, but I don't know the details. Would I get away with employing someone as a contractor for a year I wonder?

adam

I think that applies to people who are hired by the company on a temporary contract, rather than being self employed and contracting their services to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

adam

I don't see why not. Surely many many companies have a contract FOR services with an independent contractor, leaving the contractor liable for his own tax & insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They do, but if they contract for a certain period of time the state views it as a tax dodge and starts asking questions.

They do, but if they contract for a certain period of time the state views it as a tax dodge and starts asking questions.

I don't think its the leangth of the contract per se, but whether the contract is in reaility an employment contract by applying the 4 employment tests.

Control test - can the 'employer' tell teh contractor how to do his job. If so, then its employment
    Integration test - is the work done is an integral part of the business? if so, then employment and not contract.
    Economic reality test- is the contractor at financial risk? if no, then its likely to be employment
    Entrepreneurial test - looks at whether the worker has engaged him/herself to perform the services performing them as a person in business on his/her own account? No? Employment!

And the ability to delegate the performance of a contract. If you can't drop the contractor then its likely to be an employment contract.

I dont claim to be a law student so you will prob get a better response in the law forum. They may have examples of precedent. This might be of use but dont come on telling me I'm wrong if I am, it's paraphrased!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Very useful information there Ideo, thanks.

Very useful information there Ideo, thanks.

No probs. In addition I dont think a court could rely on only one test, but 2 or 3 would need apply.

Advertisement