Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000 pc cannot connect to SQL Server 2005

Options
  • 05-12-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭

I installed a second server lately with SQL Server 2005 installed on it. It's used primarily as an application server.

The problem is that the Windows 2000 clients cannot see/find the SQL server when trying to setup s data connection for a particular application. The database they're trying to connect to is fine and everything else seems in order. The clients can see the actual server, map drives, browse the share folders and start the application but fails to see the SQL server.

10 XP Pro machines setup no problem, completed the data connection and can use the application but not the 2000 machines.

All the 2000 clients are fully updated and otherwise work fine on the network. Do I need to install some SQL service on the 2000 clients or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

1433 blocked ?

ODBC Driver on 2000 correct version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

trellheim wrote: »
    1433 blocked ?

ODBC Driver on 2000 correct version ?

I should have mentioned that I'm a network learner so you might need to hold my hand a bit.:p

How would I check if port 1433 is blocked and the same for the driver?

Just to give you a bit of background info, the same application was previously used on the same 2000 machines but the setup was different.

The app was installed on the clients and the database (Access) was stored on the old server. The data connection could be setup and worked no problem that way. Now the app is installed on the new server only with a shortcut on each of the clients to it and the database converted to SQL.

Advertisement