Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new to pistol shooting

• 05-12-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi all

im new to pistol shooting i go on hols in the states and go shooting every time i go over there i went on a hand gun course in switzerland and i have to say im hooked so i have decided its time for me to get a pistol and start shooting. so i have come to the best place i know to get advise.

so questions i have are :

1. what do i need to get a lisence for a pistol
    2. i have my heart set on a glock 17 the gun we used in switzerland any views
    3. clubs i live in wexford are there any good clubs nearby i dont mind doing a bit of a drive

any advice would be great

tony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

I don't have a pistol (or any gun yet :( ) but as far as I know you will need a gun safe, monitored alarm and you will need to be a member of a pistol shooting club.

As for getting a gun depending on where you live you could be lucky to get a shotgun so don't get your hopes up. You should probably start with a .22 you have a better chance of getting a licence for a .22 then a 9mm. :D

I believe this is a good .22
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=116

And I believe Infac do good safes.

The closest place to you that I know of is Rathdrum
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~rrpc/

But there might be one closer.

Don't trust me though I don't know s**t :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As far as I know, Rathdrum only cater for rimfire pistol, no centrefires. Just a word of warning, but I'm sure rrpc will be along presently with the real information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Yup, It wasn't me is spot on, .22 only in Rathdrum. Don't be put off by that, it's easier to get a licence for a .22, they are very accurate and the course of fire we shoot is very demanding but instantly appealing. It also gives you access to a good many more ranges than centre fire will such as Fermoy.

There are a great many .22's available which would suit the purpose. As well as the CZ there is also the Browning Buckmark, the Hammerli x-Esse and a number of others before you move up to the ISSF target pistols like the Walther GSP, Pardini SP, Benelli, Tesro, Matchguns and Morini which are all over the grand mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Have used a Glock 17 on numerous occasions and can attest to their reliability and better than average accuracy. Ease of use and mag capacity is also an advantage. However, as already stated a .22 would be a good choice to start with. Try the SIG Mosquito or Walther P22 (I prefer the SIG), or if you'd prefer a revolver, the Taurus M94 or S&W 617 are both good, and look freakin sweet!:D

Try the SIG Mosquito or Walther P22 (I prefer the SIG), or if you'd prefer a revolver, the Taurus M94 or S&W 617 are both good, and look freakin sweet!:D

I don't know anything about the last two, but I would stay well clear of teh first two. I've fired the P22 in both 6" and 4" barrels and it is the most frustratingly inaccurate piece of **** I've ever tried.

Of course it depends on what you want to do, but unless your target is a barn door then you won't want it. That's apart from the fact that the grip is pathetically small and the overall feel is plasticky and light.

• Advertisement

To be honest I agree totally, the Walther is a piece of crap, but the Mosquito is nice and solid. Even managed to knock over a few cans at thirty yards last time I tried it. Try that with a Walther!;) The S&W is a novelty to be sure, a big 6" stainless 357 revolver chambered in 22LR. Sheep in Wolf's clothing but a beauty and accurate to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Just found out about this place in Roundwood Wicklow (thanks Leupold and Rovi) that does pistol shooting.
    http://www.ecssc.ie/

Here is where I found out about it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055194834

Here is another thread talking about gun clubs in Wexford.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055094734

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

gee guys thats cool im really wanting to get into this sport but its clear i have a lot to learn i have been looking at the mosquito and i like it and its a good bit cheaper that the glock 17 and im thinkin of starting off with a .22 as all seem to be advising thanks guy a huge help from boards as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Hi Tony

Give Pat in Hilltop a call 2818025, he will arrange a time for you to call into the club.

There are a lot of club guns to try, it would be better to start on the .22lr pistols and as you get more practise then move onto the Glock 17 or another gun.

Are you buying the Glock to take part in practical or just target.

Hi Tony

Give Pat in Hilltop a call 2818025, he will arrange a time for you to call into the club.

There are a lot of club guns to try, it would be better to start on the .22lr pistols and as you get more practise then move onto the Glock 17 or another gun.

Are you buying the Glock to take part in practical or just target.

hi do hilltop have club guns that you can use while there i was in touch with hilltop and got thier membership rates and so on. might give em a call and go up during the week when im off

is this a sport that u have to own a gun straight away or can you hire them at the range or somting like that like you can in switzerland.

i was using the glock on the course in switzerland and just really liked it.

i have used most of the s&w revolvers and pistols in the states but found the glock better maybe thats because i was getting training when using the glock

im totally new to this so forgive the questions guys

tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

tonym wrote: »
    is this a sport that u have to own a gun straight away or can you hire them at the range or somting like that like you can in switzerland.

If you are a member of a club which has club guns you can use them.

I can also highly reccommend hilltop, like yourself I'm completely new to pistol and theres always plenty of guidance and advice offered up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

tonym wrote: »
    hi all

im new to pistol shooting i go on hols in the states and go shooting every time i go over there i went on a hand gun course in switzerland and i have to say im hooked so i have decided its time for me to get a pistol and start shooting. so i have come to the best place i know to get advise.

so questions i have are :

1. what do i need to get a lisence for a pistol
    2. i have my heart set on a glock 17 the gun we used in switzerland any views
    3. clubs i live in wexford are there any good clubs nearby i dont mind doing a bit of a drive

any advice would be great

tony

Hi tonym. There are 2 pistol clubs in Wexford that I'm aware of (both shot centre fire). PM me if you want contact details. Glock 17 is a good pistol especially for practical pistol shooting. But if it's target shooting you're into & you want a centrefire I'd go with a high quality 1911. Not cheap but very accurate & a beauty to shoot. I've just ordered one for myself:D

regards,
    Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the general Garda attitude to pistols in Wexford?

packas wrote: »
    Hi tonym. There are 2 pistol clubs in Wexford that I'm aware of (both shot centre fire). PM me if you want contact details. Glock 17 is a good pistol especially for practical pistol shooting. But if it's target shooting you're into & you want a centrefire I'd go with a high quality 1911. Not cheap but very accurate & a beauty to shoot. I've just ordered one for myself:D

regards,
    Pat.

I'd agree, the Glock is just not accurate enough for serious competition, at least not the 17. Try the 34 if you serious and even then... as regards accuracy, if you've ever shot a Les Baer custom 1911 you'll never go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johal

first decide what type of shooting you want to do. what do the clubs do.
    what type of competition do you want to enter. your choice of gun will be decided by what you do with it . no one pistol is good for all competition.
    most of the pistols in use are only usefull for tin cans. do your resarch
    first johal

I'd agree, the Glock is just not accurate enough for serious competition, at least not the 17. Try the 34 if you serious and even then... as regards accuracy, if you've ever shot a Les Baer custom 1911 you'll never go back!

Les Baer Custom. Exaclty what I'm after ordering. Very nice guns indeed:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

that set you back a very pretty penny!!!

packas wrote: »
    Les Baer Custom. Exaclty what I'm after ordering. Very nice guns indeed:D:D:D:D:D:D

One word: JEALOUSY

Don't suppose you live near clare? I'd love to see one again!:(

One word: JEALOUSY

Don't suppose you live near clare? I'd love to see one again!:(
    packas
    blue_star_1.gif

Doesn't look like it :D

Delivery on a Premier II with 1.5 " gurantee is anything from 6-9 months though :(
    For all you Les Baer fans check out this you tube video regarding the move of their factory:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3-aC5QIzcY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

In relation to the Les Baer , I have two a .45 Tac 2 and a .40 Limited Team . The limited Team is basically a Les Baer Upper with a STI frame. The .45 is a custom made gun , hand fitted parts etc . Both are very accurate, well put together and great fun to shoot. Best of luck with the new toy .

John

rrpc wrote: »
    [/B]

Doesn't look like it :D

Whoops!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Les Baer Custom. Exaclty what I'm after ordering.

Bling, bling baby!!!:D

You are one flash git!!

hi guys and girls

well was at hilltop today met with pat (a nice guy) i filled out all the forms and just got to go up next week to pay my fees and then ill be starting and i cant wait as i siad to pat i would consider myself a complete beginer and want to learn but im so excited that i have taken my first step so thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Best of luck with it. :)

I hope to be taking those same first steps in the new year some time. Any idea of the nearest pistol club to Clare? Midlands I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I hope to be taking those same first steps in the new year some time. Any idea of the nearest pistol club to Clare? Midlands I presume?

I recommed Midlands especialy for fullbore, organise a trip down for a tour

Just might do that... cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hi all could anyone tell me where the nearest pistol club is to meath.
    Ive done a lot of pistol shooting with a nine mil but am lookin to buy a pistol was wondering aswell what are the guards like with issuing a .22 licence.
    I know a nine mil is very hard would they look any more favourably on a .22 or is it pistols in general.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi Martinr5232,

Good to see you posting here aswell.

There are many target clubs around Co. Meath. Check out the attached website address http://homepage.eircom.net/~joecon/irishclubs.html. They may have links to others.

www.ipscireland.org (this is an Association, not a club)
    http://www.geocities.com/pro_lrrai/LRRAI.html
    http://www.nitsa.org.uk/
    www.nrai.ie (this is an Association, not a club)

The type of pistol shooting as exercised by the Irish Defence Forces in their annual range practices are totally out of date and years behind. Been there, done that and wore the T-Shirt for over 30yrs.

Regarding your interest in buying a pistol.........great, but what kind of target shooting are you interested in...............the Gardai in different areas have different views on firearms and calibres etc. .22 - 38/357 - 9mm - 40S&W - 10mm - 45's all of these calibres are used in different types of target shooting disiplines. Because of the high cost of firearm and ammo I would advise a bit, no a lot of research into it..........

I would strongly suggest a trip to at least a couple of target shooting clubs and ask the shooters there about their pistols & gear that they are using and competitions they are into, they are only too willing to talk. Joining a target pistol club is a must and taking part in their firearms & range safety courses is also a must, regardless of how many years one may have been in the Defence forces. Firearms handling in a rifle / pistol club is totally different to the Military.

Best of luck...........might even see you on the range some day.....who knows..............:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

V Bull wrote: »
    Hi Martinr5232,

Good to see you posting here aswell.

There are many target clubs around Co. Meath. Check out the attached website address http://homepage.eircom.net/~joecon/irishclubs.html. They may have links to others.

www.ipscireland.org (this is an Association, not a club)
    http://www.geocities.com/pro_lrrai/LRRAI.html
    http://www.nitsa.org.uk/
    www.nrai.ie (this is an Association, not a club)

The type of pistol shooting as exercised by the Irish Defence Forces in their annual range practices are totally out of date and years behind. Been there, done that and wore the T-Shirt for over 30yrs.

Regarding your interest in buying a pistol.........great, but what kind of target shooting are you interested in...............the Gardai in different areas have different views on firearms and calibres etc. .22 - 38/357 - 9mm - 40S&W - 10mm - 45's all of these calibres are used in different types of target shooting disiplines. Because of the high cost of firearm and ammo I would advise a bit, no a lot of research into it..........

I would strongly suggest a trip to at least a couple of target shooting clubs and ask the shooters there about their pistols & gear that they are using and competitions they are into, they are only too willing to talk. Joining a target pistol club is a must and taking part in their firearms & range safety courses is also a must, regardless of how many years one may have been in the Defence forces. Firearms handling in a rifle / pistol club is totally different to the Military.

Best of luck...........might even see you on the range some day.....who knows..............:cool:

Cheers for all that info V Bull

I would i suppose like to buy a nine mil probably a heckler usp as thats the one we are using now.
    But im not totaly set on the heckler as long as its semi auto.
    Once you get the shooting bug its hard to get rid of it .
    Thanks again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Like you say Martin, once bitten by the bug, it's hard to let go.

I shoot mainly rifle but bought myself a very cheapo Glock 17 in 9mm for plinking. Got bored of that and was introduced to the IPSA guys down in the Midlands club at a Practical Shoot, now thats what I call shooting, check it out, fantastic. Took me a while to get onto the Basic Safety & Competition Licence Course, well worth the wait, and I thaught that I knew stuff.......wow.

http://www.fftir.fr/index.php?FicheNum=1774 This is the website for the recent French Euro Competition, look at the photos, their brilliant.........some of the IPSA guys were at it........

Some of the guys in the IPSA shoot H&K USP's and USP Experts in all the calibres, 9mm - 40S&W, and 45's. They seem to like them but some guys are moving on to the next level, custome made pistols, big bucks...........

Dont go buyin' big and flash until you know what you want to do............ check everything out, research a little........

Out to you..........:cool:

Advertisement