Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr. Martens

• 05-12-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I really really really REALLY need some help. I'm looking to buy my girlfriend 18 or 20 hole pair of black leather Dr. Martens in a size 7 for Christmas but I can't find a shop in the city centre with them....I've tried the Schuh stores and they dont have them nor will they order in a size larger then size 6 :(

I'm tried China Blue in Temple bar and peered into various other shoe shops for Dr. Martens with no success yet. I went to the Dr. Martens site and they sent me to clogs.co.uk or somewhere similar and they didn't have a size 7 in stock either.

I've never been to the Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown or Dundrum shopping centres so I don't know if they have any stores that stock Dr. Martens.....

Does anyone know where I can try for Dr. Martens 18 hole or more in a ladies size 7?? Any help greatly appreciated as this is the perfect present for her and I'm desperate to get them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well in the late 80's I used to buy mine at the back of the ILAC on Parnell Street, fromthe traders there. Those aul' ones always had great deals and if one didn't have the size/holes you wanted then the one in the stall next to her had :) Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well in the late 80's I used to buy mine at the back of the ILAC on Parnell Street, fromthe traders there. Those aul' ones always had great deals and if one didn't have the size/holes you wanted then the one in the stall next to her had :) Happy days.

My older sister told me the exact same thing but where on Parnell St? I had no idea where or what she meant? Anywhere else that you can think of?

Well I've lived in England for the past few years so I don't know if the women are still there anymore.

So, say you're on Henry Street, go through the Ilac centre and come out the Parnell Street exit. Literally as you come to the exit, McDonalds is on your right-hand side. Exit through the doors onto Parnell Street and as soon as you do, turn right, walk about 50 Metres. There are a series of lock-ups there and this is where the ladies are located.

Assuming they are still operating.

If you are on Parnell Street coming from O'Connell Street then the stalls are on your left, if you pass the Ilac Centre doors then you've missed them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

I bought my docs years ago in Barrets on Grafton Street. However, last year I wanted to buy new ones while I was over in the UK The ladies section of Shuh only have up to size 6 - when I asked for a bigger size, they went upstairs to get them from the mens dept! Apparently they are the same.

I bought a pair or shoes and two pairs of boots but I just cant break them in (maybe cos they are mens?).I've worn them loads of times but just end up getting blisters.

bedlam wrote: »
    The area where they used to be iirc has been redeveloped inti a Spar / bookies / chemist / Apartment block.

There is a shoe shop on the corner of Grafton St and Johnsons Court (second right turn as you go up Grafton St) and off Henry St, I think there's a store called Zerep (upper Liffey St) that might be worth checking out. Both should sell Docs

I think you're right about them being redeveloped, I kinda remember what r3nu4l is talking about now and I do think they are gone now. I will try that shop just off grafton st. on the way home and I will pop into Zerep but I didn't think they did Docs. Thought there were a primarily New Rocks shop and ****ty other brands.

musicfan: Yes, I've been told that in the classic Docs style there is no difference between men and womens style. The guy in Schuh did tell me that they had some docs in a size 7 in the mens section but they were the smaller 12/14 hole Docs and I'm looking for at least say 16/18 hole boots.

• Advertisement

Well the search hasn't gone well. I tried Zerep, Korky's, Barrats and Office on Grafton St and no joy. I tried Barrats on Henry St. with no joy either and the traders are definitely gone from the back of the Ilac centre. I even walked around inside Ilac centre and I didnt really see anywhere that might do Docs. This only leaves me with Zerep facing Marks & Spencers just off Henry St. and I'm not feeling too lucky :(

bedlam wrote: »
    Looking at this from another perspective, have you considered foot binding or looking for a girlfriend with size 6 feet?

hahahaha, I have actualy thought about trying to figure out some way to measure her feet while she slept but yeah thought that might be a bit too much. But this is where it gets kinda complicated bedlam. My gf is a 6/7. I know she has two pairs of Docs and they are both 6 and a pair of converse that are size 7. But she was talking to me about a new pair of runners I bought a few weeks ago and she was saying that I was twice the size of her feet so I wormed in the "So what size are you?" (Perfect timing I thought) and she replied with "Well 7..." and I'm a 12 so either my math it ****ed or she is rounding up ;)

I keep getting told that a 6 should do her just fine but I'm afraid to chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I went to the Dr. Martens site and they sent me to clogs.co.uk or somewhere similar and they didn't have a size 7 in stock either.

WindSock, been there.

WindSock wrote: »

Somebody didn't read the thread :)

Well if the ladies at the back of the Ilac are gone then I'm sad :( Mind you, the last time I bought a pair of Docs from them was about 1990 I think...so I guess time really does move on!

Amazon do a 20 hole pair but only up to size 6, They also do a 14 hole pair but only do sizes 8, 9 and 10!!

Have a look at their range here

This lot do 2 different 14 eye boots in sizes 3-12 but I've never used them so don't know how good they are or even if they deliver outside the UK. You'd also want to check their stock levels for size 7.

Try the British Boot Company - the first shop in Britain to sell Doc Marten boots (way back in the 50's!) £115 for a 20 hole pair + £15 delivery. You can pay by PayPal or credit card!

• Advertisement

Well if the ladies at the back of the Ilac are gone then I'm sad :( Mind you, the last time I bought a pair of Docs from them was about 1990 I think...so I guess time really does move on!

Amazon do a 20 hole pair but only up to size 6, They also do a 14 hole pair but only do sizes 8, 9 and 10!!

Have a look at their range here

:( I went through that with the Schuh website. They do up to 6 in ladies size and then start at 8 from mens size. Just cant win. I'm going to go back down to Schuh today and see what I think of the 6 and see if I can beg them into ordering the 7 in. I just cant understand why they wont order it in for me. It's not like I want them to order in 50 of them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah... that's a real shame. I used to always buy mine there too... I would have bought my last pair just about 2 or so years ago.

:( I went through that with the Schuh website. They do up to 6 in ladies size and then start at 8 from mens size. Just cant win. I'm going to go back down to Schuh today and see what I think of the 6 and see if I can beg them into ordering the 7 in. I just cant understand why they wont order it in for me. It's not like I want them to order in 50 of them.....
    I edited my post to include some more online places, some of them DO have size 7! Bloody expensive though...in my day you could have bought 5 pairs of Docs for that :D
    Yeah... that's a real shame. I used to always buy mine there too... I would have bought my last pair just about 2 or so years ago.
    I know! First I hear Frawleys have closed then the traders have packed up...what's happening to dear old dirty Dublin? All of this seems to have happened since I left the country, time to return methinks! To the Batmobile, Robin!! :)

I edited my post to include some more online places, some of them DO have size 7! Bloody expensive though...in my day you could have bought 5 pairs of Docs for that :D

I know! First I hear Frawleys have closed then the traders have packed up...what's happening to dear old dirty Dublin? All of this seems to have happened since I left the country, time to return methinks! To the Batmobile, Robin!! :)

Cheers r3nu4l appreciate it. Will check them out now. Yeah its nasty what happening, even just walking around town atm it didn't feel like Christmas to me until the stalls came out on Henry St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And they'd last 5 times longer as well... They just don't handle the same amout of wear and tear these days.

Advertisement