Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important are your non verbal communications skills

Options
  • 05-12-2007 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Do you ever think you stammer more when you have very closed body language compared to when you walk into a room like you own it?

I often feel this way, in so far as if I feel I can dominate a situtation, be it a meeting or a conversation in a pub I am more fluent than if I feel over whelmed by the situation.

Charlie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Sounds like a question of Self-confidence Charlie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

pog it wrote: »
    Sounds like a question of Self-confidence Charlie

Of course it is!! isn't that what this is all about? If I had the self confidence to tackle any situation I probably wouldn't stammer in the first place. I was just wondering if anyone else approaches their stammer in the same way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Sorry if I came across the wrong way Charlie, I know where you are coming from, I suffered for 23 years and was extremely hard on myself about it for most of that time so I wasn't trying to be abrupt or say 'don't you know' kind of tone.

I think that having a stammer effects self-confidence more than a lack of sel-confidence causes/increases stammer in a person or stops them from improving. And so it's a process (I feel) whereby you must bolster yourself up in whatever way you can and therefore you may have a better chance to beat this thing. I mean 'you' as in 'one'. I also feel and again it is my personal opinion that if you adopt a devil may care attitude which I did and go to yourself I don't care how what I say comes out, that also may help.

For me, I cared what people thought of how I sounded as a result of my stammer of course but when I realised that they weren't better than me it helped me on my way. Again, just personal experience.

Advertisement