Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista - suprisingly impressed

• 05-12-2007 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Just bought a new laptop and got Vista with it as I already have a copy of XP to re-install if i wanted to roll back.

But i don't think I'll bother. So far it seems pretty stable and not as slow and clunky as I'd seen so many people saying.

It also doesn't have a 40 or 50 processes running, as i'd read. More 20 or so.

Not sure about the RAM usage as according to Task Manager there is none free but 1.5GB "cached".

The resource monitor is brilliant, showing hard faults, cpu info and much more info than XP.

Haven't got around to installing any games on it yet, that's where the problems will appear i'm sure :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You must be the only one ;)

I've tried it from time to time but I'm not impressed and I'll be staying with XP Pro for now.

It just feels "clunky" to me, maybe it might improve with SP1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Nope, I quite like it as well!

Vista Bus came on the Dell lappy and I was all set to update, create image then stick back on XP Pro; but I like it too much to bother.

I find it very quick [aside from the whole mp3/file transfer thing :(], no real issues.

Shame I can't use part of my external hdds for ready boost or what ever that thing is called.

Had major graphic corruption on Scarface, Hitman BM wouldn't start ehh...out of the dozen or so games I've tried thats not bad.

Updated to the nVidia 169.04 drivers and TF2 stopped crashing as well.

The memory usage has been re.jigged from XP and from what I've heard it's not what you'd expect it to be but it's a good thing now!

Very happy thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

I love it
    Its so Sleek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i found an article that explains why Vista "seems" to use up all your RAM:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dackjaniels

I have used as well but don't share your enthusiasm. Although it looks pretty and is fast. I just can't stop hating the fact that it won't stop asking for conformation for everything you do if its the slightest bit technical

• Advertisement

you can just disable it:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Under User Account and Family settings click on the "Add or remove user account".
    3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.
    4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
    5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
    6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
    7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

In order to re-enable UAC just select the above checkbox and reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I <3 it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Im using it since march , it was buggy at first , but now I cant see how anyone would have a problem with it , the vast majority of the problems have been sorted , its no slower for games , ( im running an athlon X 2 4800 with an 8800 GT , 2GB ram ) and in general is smoother than XP in my opinion , I did dump IE7 for firefox , otherwise Im very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

I got Vista Premium with my Dell. I find it quite buggy. Things like USB, ie. I have a USB that came with pre-loaded software/bloatware & Vista can't load it at all, My TV tuner software (in compatability mode) crashes the PC intermittantly. But........I tried out virtualisation, VirtualPC & VMWarePlayer and I am now running WinXP & various Linux distributions quite well. Check out Dreamlinux or GeUbuntu, lots of eye-candy !

I got Vista Premium with my Dell.

From past experience I would say thats more a Dell problem that a Vista one , they fill the pc up with so much crap I have yet to see a Dell that wouldnt benefit from a clean install on arrival , Vista or XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

they'd really want to get SP1 out soon. I've a right pain in the hole with Vista crashing. Certain pages on Firefox, picture viewer and some in some cases my usb wireless adaptor have crashed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm impressed.

It's certainly not as bad as it's made out to be. I think a lot of people are simply not tweaking it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

Maybe I'll get used to it. I've been using it since last week with a new lap top and I haven't made my peace with it yet. I was quite happy with XP before that.

I think Dell have improved on the pre-installed bloatware. My vostro had very little software installed on it out of the box.

Also, I don't think SP1 is going improve performance a whole lot. More bug and security fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

quarryman wrote: »
    Just bought a new laptop and got Vista with it

<snip>

Haven't got around to installing any games on it yet, that's where the problems will appear i'm sure :)
    Hahahaha. You're f**ked if it only has an intel yoke in it :D

=-=

As for performance, dunno. You can improve it by clicking Start, Control Panel, click "Classic View", then click Performance and Infomation Tools, and then click Adjust Visual Settings, and finally select "Adjust for Best Perfomance". Suprise suprise, it'll look like XP, as all the usual sh|te (Aero, etc), will be turned off. You'll then notice a nice improvement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got a new computer myself frm komplett and have vista64 running on it and im very happy with it indeed. I was initially worried before my computer arrived thinking that vista64 was gonna be full of problems and errors as well as slowness but thankfully none of that happened, Vista64 for me installed without a single problem, no driver issues and has been rock solid stable and very fast over the past week. Cant complain at all and love the look and feel of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I liked, was using it for the last 6 months or so, but had to go back to XP due to a file copying bug which I can't resolve. I'm dual booting, but since I put XP back on, I haven't booted into Vista
    once.

Was that the " Vistas long goodbye " bug?

Yeah , that one gave me a few headaches for a while , but its been fixed for a good while now !!

Heres the description ,

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/15/vistas_long_goodbye_continues/

The fix came with those two major packs released about two months ago , sort of a mini service pack. I havnt seen it since , I used to be plagued by it with files from my mini DV , A 1 hour tape coming in at 12GB , after conversion I tried to delete/move and it took ages.

All fixed now though.

No its the "I'm Vista and I'm going to copy your files where I think they should go, not where you pasted them" . Also "I'm Vista, and I don't do move files. I merge files. A bit randomly, and I might leave a few behind. But hey aren't I pretty". But also the random "what the heck is it doing now" pauses are annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

BostonB wrote: »
    No its the "I'm Vista and I'm going to copy your files where I think they should go, not where you pasted them" . Also "I'm Vista, and I don't do move files. I merge files. A bit randomly, and I might leave a few behind. But hey aren't I pretty". But also the random "what the heck is it doing now" pauses are annoying.

Can't say I have seen any of those. Either before or after I tweaked my version. Are you running an Upgrade version of Vista or is it a preloaded version that came with a computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I use it on my work laptop, and I find it almost exactly the same as XP, save for more pop-up prompts.

Max OS X is much better, though Leopard was a similarly underwhelming update.

I use it on my work laptop, and I find it almost exactly the same as XP, save for more pop-up prompts.

Just turn off UAC as Quarryman posted on the previous page.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Under User Account and Family settings click on the "Add or remove user account".
    3. Click on one of the user accounts, for example you can use the Guest account.
    4. Under the user account click on the "Go to the main User Account page" link.
    5. Under "Make changes to your user account" click on the "Change security settings" link.
    6. In the "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
    7. You will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so when ready.

In order to re-enable UAC just select the above checkbox and reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sadly, I don't have the authority to do so. In a way it's good though - it's a Japanese language version, so I've plenty of incentive to practice my kanji!

Soundman wrote: »
    Can't say I have seen any of those. Either before or after I tweaked my version. Are you running an Upgrade version of Vista or is it a preloaded version that came with a computer?

Preloaded that I've reinstalled twice.

If you have a directory full of sub folders, a MP3 library or digital photos for example. If you cut and paste it, or cut and move it over another folder, perhaps a copy on an external drive, does it move all the files and folders from the source folder? mine leaves behind random files and empty folders all the time. (Note I have full admin rights and permissions). It actually reported quite a bit on the web. but finding it is difficult as its drowned out with all the other issues with files and folders in Vista. Mainly security related. I've given up at this point as I don't have time to keep looking for a solution. Does the same thing on a nother Vista machine we have at work. I don't have a test rig at the moment or I'd try yet another fresh install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

dubmick wrote: »
    they'd really want to get SP1 out soon. I've a right pain in the hole with Vista crashing. Certain pages on Firefox, picture viewer and some in some cases my usb wireless adaptor have crashed it.
    Sounds like your using my machine!!! Sick of it, even considering giving Linux a shot!

If you have a directory full of sub folders, a MP3 library or digital photos for example. If you cut and paste it, or cut and move it over another folder, perhaps a copy on an external drive, does it move all the files and folders from the source folder? mine leaves behind random files and empty folders all the time. (Note I have full admin rights and permissions). It actually reported quite a bit on the web. but finding it is difficult as its drowned out with all the other issues with files and folders in Vista. Mainly security related. I've given up at this point as I don't have time to keep looking for a solution. Does the same thing on a nother Vista machine we have at work. I don't have a test rig at the moment or I'd try yet another fresh install.

Running Vista Business here. Preloaded on a Lenovo N200 laptop. Had to re-install it once as it was a botched install initially from Lenovo. Had issues with Wireless and Windows games not working. I have had no problem with copying or cutting and pasting files or folders from one directory to another, even from laptop to external hard drives, USB keys or MP3 players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The only issue i have with it is that it goes bananas if you're accessing files over network shares and they become unavailable unexpectedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

how many firewalls and spyware-adware and virus scanners have you

dont touch registry

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Having bought a couple of new Dual 2 Core lappies and desk tops with Vista Business etc on them I found them to wizz along/load up much faster as an Xp Pro machine.

I will be sticking with Vista though as it is going to be around and everyone is gonna have to get used to it some time.

Discovering the alternative use of the ALT key was a blessing :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Been doing that a bit recently myself (syncing photo's between PC's) and haven't hit any of the problems you describe. I usually use the replace option and tick "apply to all items". What sorts of random files does it leave behind? Are you doing all this through explorer?

Vista's big problem, as with Office 2007, is people are too used to the winXP/95 user interface, so the effort is in re-training people to deal with Vista. Had this been the interface from the start, all would be merry.

Advertisement