Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Employment: Electrical & Electronic Engineering. Any Help?

• 05-12-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Teg Veece wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about finding a job with any of the engineering courses especially Energy Engineering. I finished up with an Electrical and Electronic Engineering course myself earlier this year and most of my class got jobs in the electrical side of things rather than the electronic. As an energy engineer, you'd have access to those jobs and more.

Hey, I'm looking to get a job in this area and I'm finding it hard to find openings.

What websites did your classmates look at for jobs, or what companies did they apply to, etc ?

ESBI aren't taking on graduates till next September.

Comments

Post split off other thread. You might get more viewings this way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Electrical & Electronic Engineering is a very large area, do you have any preference as to which area you go into? Did you do a major in college?

It is hard to get a start in Ireland, its mainly due to the fact that there's a limited amount of companies doing good R & D activities ( despite what the government say )...

Which area are you interested in working on:-
    Telecommunications
    Control Systems / Automation
    Digital Design/Embedded Hardware
    ASIC design
    Software development?
    Analogue Electronic Design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Hi Dilbert I did electrical engineering so it'd be power engineering, working in the energy industry, etc that I would be interested in. I'd be interested in control systems / automation also though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Most graduate positions start in September so dunno why you're waited till now to look for a job - you have to look while doing your final year unfortunately. If you apply now you shouldn't have much trouble getting a job in September. Intel & Siemens are two companies with power-based opportunities. I'm in Comms so I'm not sure of any others but I'm sure there is a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Hey, I'm looking to get a job in this area and I'm finding it hard to find openings.

What websites did your classmates look at for jobs, or what companies did they apply to, etc ?

ESBI aren't taking on graduates till next September.

Like Primal Nut was saying, most of my classmates got jobs because they started looking at the right time. The big employers use a recruitment programme with a 1 year cycle. That way all the new recruits are trained at the same time which saves the company time and money.

You just have to figure out when the application deadlines for the different companies are. The investment banks' deadlines have already passed. :eek:
    IIRC, most of the big multinationals start looking at C.V. at around February but it varies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

BT's closing date is Dec 31st, don't know if they're looking for electrical engineers, they are looking for people in comms but I noticed an advertisment on the mech board so that makes me think they might recruit electrical engineers too.

Have you thought about doing a post grad, I'm almost sure there are openings in the UCD Electrical Engineering Dept.

Other places to look would be Airtricity, Eirgrid?

http://www.eirgrid.com/Eirgridportal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=EirGrid%20Careers&TreeLinkModID=1443&TreeLinkItemID=29

Advertisement