Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence Sleeve

Options
  • 05-12-2007 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Quick question lads - does anyone know where I can buy a new plastic sleeve to put my driving license into?

Also, has anyone ever 'renewed' their license even though it wasnt due to expire. Mine looks like it was dipped in tar and steamrolled so it would be nice to get a new one - is it just a case of applying to the local VRO?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You could just "lose" it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Drax wrote: »
    Quick question lads - does anyone know where I can buy a new plastic sleeve to put my driving license into?

Also, has anyone ever 'renewed' their license even though it wasnt due to expire. Mine looks like it was dipped in tar and steamrolled so it would be nice to get a new one - is it just a case of applying to the local VRO?

Cheers!

You will get the plastic sleeve with your new licence if you apply. i'd say just ring up local motor tax office. Explain your licence is damaged and then request a replacement. Might set you back about 15euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Must get in touch with my motor tax office - my license is knackered, so much so infact that the picture is hanging off (I'm just waiting for a bouncer to notice this) - I think it went into the wash :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Thanks a mil lads. I'll give the motor tax office a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You can apply for a replacement but will only be valid until the expiry date of your current not ten years from now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You can get a pretty dandy looking plastic sleeve for it in the style of a passport cover (ie faux leather with a harp) in €2 World or whatever that poundshop is called...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

congo_90 wrote: »
    Might set you back about 15euro though.
    €5 ;) Form D800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If they are going to insist a license be carried all the time then (stupidly) issue it in format that can't withstand being carried around 24/7 then thats not my fault.

BostonB wrote: »
    If they are going to insist a license be carried all the time then (stupidly) issue it in format that can't withstand being carried around 24/7 then thats not my fault.
    There is no requirement to carry the licence at all times! :confused:

There is a requirement to have the licence available for inspection while driving a vehicle on a public road.

So, unless you are driving '24/7', there is no requirement for you to have it on your person '24/7'. ;)

If like me you use more than one car, you going to leave it where you don't have to remember to bring it with you when you switch cars etc. Which means carrying it on you all them time, in your wallet etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Easons sell the plastic sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

If like me you use more than one car, you going to leave it where you don't have to remember to bring it with you when you switch cars etc. Which means carrying it on you all them time, in your wallet etc.

I used to have that trouble, just went and reported mine missing and had a duplicate issued. Problem solved, now keep one in each motor :D

I used to have that trouble, just went and reported mine missing and had a duplicate issued. Problem solved, now keep one in each motor :D
    The duplicate one will supercede the original one which becomes 'null and void'. ;)

When applying for the duplicate you would have been required to declare it lost, missing, stolen etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

my mate use to get the plastic sleve from a newsagents for his lotto, and he just cut it to size........now that deserves a blue peter badge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My dad got his one laminated to stop it falling to tatters :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kevin123123

my mate use to get the plastic sleve from a newsagents for his lotto, and he just cut it to size........now that deserves a blue peter badge. :D
    Great idea ,also like the idea of laminating-might do that myself

Stark wrote: »

I wish I'd thought of that myself. Though I fold mine over so its credit card sized. Why is it so big anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wish I'd thought of that myself. Though I fold mine over so its credit card sized. Why is it so big anyway?
    To keep track of all the endorsements you might collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

replacements now cost €10

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bond-007 wrote: »

mneah, credit card with chip.
    Its not rocket science but we Irish have to make do with a poxy solution because we dont complain enough (to the right people)

• Advertisement

LOL. Thankfully not needed that.

GreeBo wrote: »
    we Irish have to make do with a poxy solution because we dont complain enough (to the right people)
    You seem to be assuming that we all want a credit sized driving licence! I don't so I won't be complaining to anyone. :)

You seem to be assuming that we all want a credit sized driving licence! I don't so I won't be complaining to anyone. :)

Why not?

? :D

Why not?
    I like it the way it is and I don't want any more plastic in my wallet.

I like it the way it is and I don't want any more plastic in my wallet.

That doesn't explain why you want the bigger format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hurry up and bring in credit card sized driving licenses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That doesn't explain why you want the bigger format?
    Because he's a fool! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stark wrote: »

Would that not constitute vandalism of Government property ?
    I used to have that trouble, just went and reported mine missing and had a duplicate issued. Problem solved, now keep one in each motor

Wouldnt that be illegal ? ie: did not report your missing licence as found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My wallet (I bought it in Spain) has a 3-page fold-out, sized exactly for EU licences, so I have it pretty much everywhere I go. My current licence has about 3.5 years left on it and it's still in pretty decent nick.

CC sized licences are on the way in the EU...in something like 10 years. (http://www.euractiv.com/en/social-europe/european-driving-licence-underway/article-134364) Knowing this sh1tehawk government* they'll do bugger all about it until the last possible moment to implement it here.

*let's face it, we're probably going to be stuck with another Green/FF/Indie dolly mixture come 2012 (but that's another day's (and thread's) rant!

• Advertisement
Advertisement