Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple question, are we doing better with Ramos?

Options
  • 05-12-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

To be honest he scares the hell out of me - It is like he has given up on the defence and said, lets just see if we can score more goals than them - some of he's formations and substitutions have been astounding!

So is he doing better? Was martin doing such a bad job with the same players - do you think the board are thinking, we could have got Jose, it would make any diff - we basically have a Shiite midfield and defence.

Goodbye season - how long before "Ramos Out" chants? God I hate being a Spurs supporter sometimes

I lov um really!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

The only difference has been his ability to see Kabul is "Not a defender". Will have to give him time to see what effect he has (January window will tell a lot).

I really do think we would be in the same position if MJ was still in charge. There was no sudden increase in performance typically found when a new manager is installed.

I fear the problems are not a the coach/manager side of things. Why on earth did we spend 16M on bent - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Effectively it's the same side that Jol was playing. I think we would be exactly the same position with Jol at the helm.

I do think in time Ramos will be quality but I think we have to accept this season is a wash out as far as the league is concerned. If the man is to do the job then he needs the right tools.

I will be interested to see what players he recommends Commoli to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

Doing okay, still early to tell and I'll reserve judgement 'til the end of the season. Interesting to hear ramos' reluctance to make moves in the January transfer window a week or so back. Surely after the Birmingham match he'll be targeting a centre back and/or a defensive midfielder sooner rather than later?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im pretty happy with a manager that throws the kitchen sink at the opposition when you go behind.

going to 3-5-2 was a stroke of genius. mourinho was never afraid to do the same either. i think he will get the team playing properly, hes getting them fitter, and i think he has superious tactical nouse than jol.

i just wish we had some bloody defenders. im all for letting king go out to pasture, but we need to get in 3 centre halves of top quality, and get rid of the dross that is rocha and gardiner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The man is in the job a few weeks, give him time. Its always the same with new managers, they need a few months to get his array of ideas across to the players/club. I think he will make 1 or 2 signings in Jan but nothing major. He needs to firstly concentrate on implementing his style of play and formation etc...but at the moment he cant do that as he hardly has a fit centre half to play with. When king and rocha are fit, expect us to be more settled and consistent. He obviously wants to leave Kaboul out for a while but he cant at the moment due to injuries. The christmas period will be vital, we have some very winnable games. If they went pear shaped and we are still bottom 6 come the end of Jan, expect the murmurs to begin.

I have a good feeling about him. Unfortunately, its gonna be very tough to qualify for Europe tru the league this season, so here's hoping a cup run is the answer !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Kaboul out for a while but he cant at the moment due to injuries.
    I think he is leaving Kaboul out tonight!
    I know that it is still early, and he can only do what he can do with the team he has - but that was true of Jol also - maybe Jol could have bought in players in January also and made a difference (God knows he tried before). I guess my point is, I didn't see the point in sacking Jol mid season - Ramos won't do any better with the players we had than Jol did. It unsettled us (yet again) and we should have just waited until next summer.
    Personally I am still not sure about Ramos - I think he had some great players at Seville. I think the mark of a truly great manager is to do good things with only average players - If our Board allow Ramos to buy in 2 or 3 good players in January, I am sure he will do better than Jol did, but the question is would have Jol, given the same resources?:) I think so, but we will never know. I am still worried about Ramoses "impulse" substitutions and formations - I see them as knee jerk rather than well thought out tactical decisions - and some times it works, and some times (like Birmingham) it does not! Like everyone says, we have to give him till the end of the season - I just wish they would have given Jol the same respect!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

John W wrote: »
    I am still worried about Ramoses "impulse" substitutions and formations - I see them as knee jerk rather than well thought out tactical decisions - and some times it works, and some times (like Birmingham) it does not! (

In all fairness, I think that Phil Dowd had more of an input in the Birmingham result than Ramos!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

But sure all decisions/tactical decisions are not always gonna work. They worked ok against West Ham in the 2nd half, and were working well until a joker of a ref robbed us against Birmingham.Keane's red card completely changed the game remember.

Time will tell, but lets not get on the mans back after a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

We have without doubt the worse defence ever in spurs history - only for our ability to score goals we would be clearly at foot of table.

I don't what has happened to Dawson but leaving a ball run across the box without hoofing in to the stand perplexes me.

Similarly we have some useful attacking MF who make no effort in defence Jenas, Lennon, Hudd.

I hope to God Lennon is "rested" Sunday or we will be overrun - give me Tainio or Boateng please! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't feel too optimisitic at the moment. I don't think it would matter if Alex Ferguson came to us, we still wouldn't be able to defend with our current squad. This season is well written off, and I can't see us progressing far in any of the cups. Plus, getting decent players in the January window is notoriously difficult.

I reckon we'll finish bottom half of the table and will hopefully improve over the summer, but with our current squad I think the manager is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

SuprSi wrote: »
    I reckon we'll finish bottom half of the table and will hopefully improve over the summer, but with our current squad I think the manager is irrelevant.
    Again, this is my point - i don't feel changing the manager mid season has helped us at all - I don't think Ramos is a BAD manager, I just don't think ANYONE could have a made a difference with our current squad, and at the end of the season the result will be the same - Bottom half finish - no cups! Should have done the decent and ethical thing and left Jol in charge until the summer and them brought in Ramos or someone. As usual all the board have done is make a balls of it and maybe even made it worse with all the disruption this season!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

i like everyone else was expecting a massive turnaround in fortunes as soon as ramos landed on the spurs hot seat. but alas absolutely nothing whatsoever has changed
    every time we play we look like 11 players that have never played together before
    huddlestone couldn't look more disinterested being in a spurs jersey if he tried
    one good difference is robbo seems to be back in form again

on paper spurs have a squad as strong as any in the premiership....why is it so hard to gel a decent 11 together

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We are at least 1 point better off in the league and still in the UEFA Cup with Ramos in charge.

You think Jol would have made the changes Ramos made against Aalborg?

Away to West Ham?

Anyone who thought Ramos was going to turn our side around in a matter of months was deluding themselves IMO, but there are signs of improvement...the man needs time to work out exactly what his players are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

John W wrote: »
    Should have done the decent and ethical thing and left Jol in charge until the summer and them brought in Ramos or someone. As usual all the board have done is make a balls of it and maybe even made it worse with all the disruption this season!:mad:

You think Ramos would have come in to manage a Championship team? Because that was a very real possibility if the status quo had remained...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

the thing is i was glad to see jol go. now don't get me wrong i think he did a fabulous job getting us to 5th 2 yrs in a row (much better than we've come to expect b4 he came along) but i think he had taken the team as far as he could and we needed a manager with the experience of winning competitions.
    now not that i was expecting miracles when ramos came in but the dissapointing thing is there has been no visible signs of improvement in the 6 weeks he's been in the job. we looked like absolute headless chickens on thursday and made a very average team look good

Advertisement