Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle v Arsenal - 7:45

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great result to see, hopefully they can drop more points at the weekend, but I am surprised to see this result, and I think if Hleb is back at the weekend, they'll manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Anyone else think maybe Taylor should have gone (or at very least been carded/foul given) when he threw himself in front of Adebayor towards the end to stop him reaching the ball and being through one on one on goal?

Beyes challenge on Ade was worse.

Shoulda backed my prediction too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Great performance by newcastle, i thought we should of won it, im glad we gave such a great performance, really stuck it to the press who have been on our back for the past few weeks. I think this game will turn the season around for us and know we can go into the busy xmas schedule confident of picking up alot of points.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

3 points at the weekend and arsenal will be fine. They need to get their good players back though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IrishMike wrote: »
    A 1-1 draw away to Newcastle is not a bad result.
    Newcastle have a better home record this season than Liverpool !
    Great game and a good result for the chasing pack.

Wouldn't exactly say that.

Newcastle - P8 W4 D2 L2 Points:14 Goals F:12 A:12
    Liverpool - P7 W3 D4 L0 Points:13 Goals F:16 A:4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Thank God we didn't lose again. Hopefully we can get a win or two in the next few matches and get back on form. (or into a form we've never had)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A 1-1 draw away to Newcastle is not a bad result.
    Newcastle have a better home record this season than Liverpool !
    Great game and a good result for the chasing pack.

14/8 < 13/7

I know it may be hard expressed like that so here it is in 56ths -

98/56 vs 104/56 so liverpool have more points per game at home than Newcastle do.

Anyway, let's not run away with ourselves here, Arsenal did ok with their only V good players out. But at least we can see that there will be a chance for the chasing pack if such a thing were to happen again, they will certainly miss a few when the ANC commences.

Indeed, Arsenal are missing their top 3 attacking players, imagine United without Ronaldo, Rooney Scholes, Chelsea with Drogba Lampard and Cole or Liverpool without Gerrard Torres and x(couldn't decide here)

I'm just happy that they got the injuries for this sort of physical game, I think an attacking style team still woulda got beat by them. Either way, I'm happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

PHB wrote: »
    ...and x(couldn't decide here)
    Probably Sami :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Liverpool / Arsenal only 2 teams not to have lost a game this season yet.. interesting. Liverpool away to reading at the weekend, and arsenal are away to middlesborough, man utd home to derby, and chelsea home to sunderland. wins for the top 4 anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Considering we were missing Cesc, Flamini, Hleb and RVP, a very good point against a Newcastle team who were always going to raise their game tonight. Fair play to Newcastle a good result, not sure if it will kick start their season, we will see. As for Arsenal, thats our game in hand gone, 4 points ahead, would be hoping we will pick a win against Boro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Liverpool / Arsenal only 2 teams not to have lost a game this season yet.. interesting. Liverpool away to reading at the weekend, and arsenal are away to middlesborough, man utd home to derby, and chelsea home to sunderland. wins for the top 4 anyone? :D

looks a good bet all right.

I really can see all the top 4 winning next weekend, then coming into the following week that's gona be really really interesting.
    I'm not sure what I want to see happen. Obviously I want United to beat Liverpool, but at Anfield I'd be happy with a draw I'd say. As for the Arsenal game, I'm kinda of the opinion I'd like some people knocked out of the title race, so an Arsenal win wouldn't be the worst in the world. That said, they are the leaders, and I'd rather United out in front, so United and Chelsea wins please :) it's gona be a great day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Will depend on who is rested though.
    Heard rafa is resting Carragher because 1 more yellow and he is suspended for the United game
    That will mean Hyppia and Hobbs at centre back, doesnt exactly fill you with confidence.
    Will probably field a very weakened team vs Reading so a draw is on the cards.
    But you are right PHB the weekend after will be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Will depend on who is rested though.
    Heard rafa is resting Carragher because 1 more yellow and he is suspended for the United game
    That will mean Hyppia and Hobbs at centre back, doesnt exactly fill you with confidence.
    Will probably field a very weakened team vs Reading so a draw is on the cards.
    But you are right PHB the weekend after will be a cracker.

Agger should be available and Arbeloa can play center back as well.

Finnan--Arbeloa--Hyypia--Riise

Wouldnt be so bad.

Yeah Sunday week is going to be very very interesting. hoping for a Liverpool win and an Arsenal v Chelsea draw. The table would then look like this. (assuming top 4 win this weekend).

Arsenal P17 P41
    Liverpool P16 P36
    Man Utd P17 P35
    Chelsea P17 P35

Interesting times ahead!

• Advertisement

Is Agger ever going to play again?! Ever? :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Happy enough with a point.

Sagna's booking was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i hope ya mean Sagnas frollicking around on the ground was ridiculous?

as opposed to the ref booking him being ridiculous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

He shouldnt have been booked, he should have been sent off.
    Damn clown

He caught him on the side of the knee, he shouldn't have been booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great performance by newcastle, i thought we should of won it, im glad we gave such a great performance, really stuck it to the press who have been on our back for the past few weeks. I think this game will turn the season around for us and know we can go into the busy xmas schedule confident of picking up alot of points.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

Great performance, no doubt! Thoroughly deserved yer point but ye didn't do enough to get the 3 points IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jasonorr wrote: »
    Great performance, no doubt! Thoroughly deserved yer point but ye didn't do enough to get the 3 points IMO!
    I dont think many teams would go up there missing 4 first teamers and get a point. We got the point, Chelsea are playing United soon enough, so a draw there could extend a gap, once we get back on the winning road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

He caught him on the side of the knee

At least I know now I wasn't seeing things. There was contact.

While I don't condone Sagnas rolling around, Smith definitely caught him. Lol at Mike Dean? (The ref) marching over, doing a circle around Sagna and then brandishing the card with some aplomb, like he was going to invade Poland or something.

Can't believe Smith didn't get booked in the first half either. The tramp slid in the back of Gallas while Almunia was on the ground. He was nearer to Middlesborough than he was to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

That was a good game and the crowd were great. Suprised to see Given run 60 yards to get booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    At least I know now I wasn't seeing things. There was contact.

But football is a contact sport is it not?

they did touch, but unless the contact was between his legs and a baseball bat, his rolling around was excessive and it was right that he be booked imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

personally i dont understand the yellow card for diving and deliberate handball, players who do this are cheating and in my opinion it is a professional foul and they should be giving their marching orders.

now that said, it can be very difficult to tell if someone is diving or not (well sometimes) and could lead to undeserved sending offs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cson wrote: »
    While I don't condone Sagnas rolling around, Smith definitely caught him. Lol at Mike Dean? (The ref) marching over, doing a circle around Sagna and then brandishing the card with some aplomb, like he was going to invade Poland or something.

That just put a really funny image in my head of Mike Dean walking around Sagna, then promptly invading Poland like a man possessed!

..maybe its just me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Call_me_al wrote: »
    personally i dont understand the yellow card for diving and deliberate handball, players who do this are cheating and in my opinion it is a professional foul and they should be giving their marching orders.

now that said, it can be very difficult to tell if someone is diving or not (well sometimes) and could lead to undeserved sending offs...

I don't condone diving at all but, I think a red card for diving is far too harsh! There were a lot of bad tackles in that match, the ref didn't give Arsenal enough protection...should have been at least 2 or 3 more yellows for Newcastle maybe even a red!

But, that said, they played a good game and deserved their point!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    But football is a contact sport is it not?

they did touch, but unless the contact was between his legs and a baseball bat, his rolling around was excessive and it was right that he be booked imo.
    Well, if the booking was for exaggerating the extent of the foul, then a whole host of other players should have been booked too. Beye was acting like he'd been shot in the head at one point, and should have been sent off (already had a yellow card) if the referee was applying that rationale consistently. Instead Sagna was booked seemingly at random.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah but we alway pick on Arsenal cos their players are pussies :p

Advertisement