Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Telescope Offers - any good?

Options
  • 05-12-2007 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Is this scope any good? I originally wanted the Meade ETX 80TC Go-To telescope as it got great reviews in Sky at Night magazine. What is the difference and is this a good beginner scope? Thanks.

Meade ETX-70AT Computer Telescope

Focal length: 350mm
    Lens Diameter: 70mm
    Magnification: 14x - 262x
    Features:
    3x achromatic Barlow lens
    3 MA eyepieces 4/12/25mm
    45° Amici prism
    AutoStar™– Automatic celestial navigation per push of a button
    Dual-axis motor drive system
    Stable, adjustable aluminium tripod for a shock free stand
    Size: 75 x 75 x 153cm
    Weight: 3Kg
    Price per item 169.99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Discussed before, do a search for Lidl on this forum.
    I think there is afew old threads about this scope.

In short, it's a good telescope if a little on this small side.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055029793&highlight=lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks, I have an old scope that I never use, I figure that this will be a good one to get back into Astronomy again, it was my passion from 2 to 22 and I kind of got lost when my hubby came along!

It's a grand scope to get back into the hobby, but beware aperture fever:D

Should I shell out the extra for the other one? It is about 400, hubby is willing to stalk Lidl so that we get the scope if I want it. I love looking at the stars - it gives me goosebumps but would like to be able to see Mars a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

Have a look here

There's also a couple of other posts concerning the Lidl telescope offers on that forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Is this scope any good? I originally wanted the Meade ETX 80TC Go-To telescope as it got great reviews in Sky at Night magazine. What is the difference and is this a good beginner scope? Thanks.

Meade ETX-70AT Computer Telescope

Yes its a good scope, the difference between the 70 and 80 is the difference in spec, obviously the aperture. the 80TC also offers Super Plössl eyepieces (which are premium quality optics), they come in 9.7mm and 26mm. the 80TC also comes with a built in flip-barlow

The 70AT comes with multicoated eyepieces in 12mm, 4mm and 25mm and a 3x Barlow lens

FYI the telescopes on offer from lidl currently are all built under the authority of Meade. Bresser optics is a Meade owned company

If you dont have a pair of binoculars i recommend the 10x50 on offer from lidl also

All other useful info has pretty much been linked previously.

I got the scope - it looks great! Thanks for all the advice. I did not want to spend too much as I have not been involved in astronomy for a long time and am still too tired (recovering from an illness) to stay up late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 werty

has anyone any info on the telescopes on offer this week at lidl?? are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

a) If you are looking for information look up www.lidl.ie
    b) If you are wanting to know about how good they are you should be on an astronomy forum or possibly the photography forum.

These aren't exactly questions for Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I have the cheaper of the two.. It's ok, good enough for what I'd want (looking at the moon!!). Never did manage to get the tracking thing going on it.

Astronomy Ireland's newsletter this week says - " Beware of all the alleged "high quality" telescopes offered by supermarkets and camera shops whether they are inexpensive or cost hundreds. Optical quality is the most important factor and you'll need lots of advice using them after you buy them if you want to see more than the Moon.

Astronomy Ireland has the largest telescope shop in Ireland with the lowest prices for quality telescopes. If you are going to spend hundreds on a telescope wouldn't you want the backup and support of your national astronomy society? And why spend more?

Call our Shop staff for the best prices and after sales support. No one in Ireland should need to buy their telescopes anywhere else is our motto - be it for price or support.

Tel (01) 847 0777 seven days a week until Christmas."

You have to wonder why they'd issue that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

werty wrote: »
    has anyone any info on the telescopes on offer this week at lidl?? are they any good?

All the info you'll need is either in this thread or linked within this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I Was Gonna Buy One Of Them A Few Yaers Ago They Look Good And All That ,but Then Went To The Astromney Shop And Bought One Of Theirs A Little Bit More Expensive But Their Back Up And Advice ...seconnd To None...spend The Extra Few Quid If You Buy Cheap You Get Cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Quackles wrote: »
    ....Astronomy Ireland's newsletter this week says - " Beware of all the alleged "high quality" telescopes offered by supermarkets and camera shops whether they are inexpensive or cost hundreds. Optical quality is the most important factor and you'll need lots of advice using them after you buy them if you want to see more than the Moon.

AI tend to pooh-pooh what they don't sell, obviously. I'm a Member who has a Meade scope and when I went to their BBQ and mentioned it, I was treated like a leper......

Apparently they (AI) had 'commercial' trouble with Meade and dropped them....

IMO scopes at the lower end of the price range (<=€500) are not that good, especially if you want to take photos through them. If you ever see the AI journal Astronomy & Space Mag there are superb phots there with the specs of the gear used, always high spec....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 werty

So Barry are you saying that AI are maketing their own equipment by poo pooing other telescops or they genuinely are the people to buy from?? Im not fussy about who I get equipment from, obviously I dont want to buy a crap telescope but if I thought I could geta decent one for around 350 instead of 500 I would go for that one for sure.

Ok I've got to nip this in the bud here, No more about AI please.
    There is a history here and I don't want this forum shut down again......

Please take it to PM or drop it.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of various scopes and brands, for what it's worth IMO the scopes being discussed this thread are on the small side but are quality instruments and for the price you could do alot worse.

I opened my scope last night, it looks amazing and is great for a portable telescope - I plan on taking it to Portugal where the skys are very clear and using it there, it should be amazing. I love the scope and think that it is very good for the price.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I opened my scope last night, it looks amazing and is great for a portable telescope - I plan on taking it to Portugal where the skys are very clear and using it there, it should be amazing. I love the scope and think that it is very good for the price.

Its well worth completing the proceedure train and calibrate the drives.
    Spend some time getting to know your telescope as it's frustrating trying to figure out something in the dark.
    I think the scope you have uses a 9 volt supply and if you can you are better off trying to organise some sort of power supply instead on batteries. In my experience the batteries don't last long and cause the scope to error out with that "Motor Fault" message far too often.

I use an ETX125PE which takes an easier to source 12volt supply and it's far more reliable on an external power supply.

Also get your self a little compass and a pocket level to help you with allignment, though if you can find polaris in the night sky you can probably do without a compass

For anyone who got the lidl ETX I recomend this site
    http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

It's a fanatastic resource for ETX owners.

Advertisement