Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats your current tax rate / Engine cc and CO2

Options
  • 05-12-2007 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

mine is €539 Yr
    1998 cc
    200g km O2

wonder what this will be in the new system post July 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Mine is €1490
    3.2litre
    290 co2 crap

And my other car does not have a co2 rating listed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1798cc, 152g/km co2. Current cc-based motor tax is €484 for the year. Add 9.5% to figure out what it'll be next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

€292 now going up to €320
    1397cc
    not sure, think its in 170 range

EDIT: according to link posted by cantdecide, its 168, talk about accurate guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Stephen wrote: »
    1798cc, 152g/km co2. Current cc-based motor tax is €484 for the year. Add 9.5% to figure out what it'll be next year :)

my question was , i wonder what it will be like after July 1st when its based on CO2 emissions, compared to the current situation, inclusive of the 9.5% increase DOH:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what_car wrote: »
    my question was , i wonder what it will be like after July 1st when its based on CO2 emissions, compared to the current situation, inclusive of the 9.5% increase DOH:):D

It's just VRT thats co2 based from July. Tax is staying as is (plus the % increase), is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

what_car wrote: »
    wonder what this will be in the new system post July 1.

I'm on €1033 (for 2794 cc) tax with emissions of 218 g/km. Already know it will be more expensive in July +11% :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

1896cc
    Currently paying €511
    Will be paying €560 under the new system.
    Co2 emission of only 138g/km though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1762 cc
    €484
    236 g Co2 per km

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

1589 cc, 391 / 428 euro tax, official CO unknow due to age, would guesstimate around the 170-190 g mark

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2998cc €1109 228g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

4996cc 342 g/KM CO2 on paper when running petrodiesel... but Im going to run BioDiesel, so net C02 of Zero, yet there seems to be no mechanism to charge this. So much for promoting a Green agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

explain the "net CO2 of Zero" bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wishbone Ash

http://usedcars.virginmedia.com/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=car_specs

Use the compare models feature to see the specs.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is an easy one http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp (haven't tried your Mike)

238 from a 2.8 for every km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

€484
    1753cc
    137 g/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

40 yoyo's a year for a 6.2 V8 diesel.
    Not a clue what the emissions are.
    As its vintage, no change!
    Sorry,
    Couldnt resist!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

€539 /yr currently
    1979 cc
    165g/km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

colm_mcm wrote: »
    explain the "net CO2 of Zero" bit

Actaul hard readings at the exhaust BioDiesel has somewhat lower C02 output than Diesel.
    However, as its made from Veg Oils which consume C02 during growth the net (as in end of lifecycle result) is that BioDiesel doesnt contribute C02 from growth, production to combustion into the atmosphere. There is some argument if you start to consider the fuels used to transport and plant seeds; assuming non-BioFuels, BioDiesels C02 lifecycle efficiency is drops tp 78% from 100, but still clearly leagues ahead of current gen hybrids and petro-fuels. To swing the other way, BioDiesel produced from Algae actually consumes more C02 than it produces during combustion.

This is not even taking into consideration that you can use waste oil to produce it, lifecycle analysis could be construed as then having a negative contribution as the oil already served its intended purpose during food preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Average engine size on this thread is a supersize 2.9 litres:eek:

If that's a reflection of modern Ireland, and we call the Americans fat...

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Actaul hard readings at the exhaust BioDiesel has somewhat lower C02 output than Diesel. .
    While Biodiesel is good and def a lot better than fossil fuels, I don't think you can say with certainty that it is ever zero in terms of added CO2 (unless you produce it all yourself).

• Advertisement

159g/km
    2.0litre diesel
    €539

new rate should be €590

If it was really about fuel efficiency and the environment both road tax and vrt would be increased or decreased together
    Why not charge annual road tax on an emissions basis?

Am I being too cynical by looking at it this way:
    Decrease vrt on an emissions basis thus making diesels more attractive then raise the tax on larger capacity engines (diesels LOL) without discriminating for emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

mike65 wrote: »
    1762 cc
    €484
    236 g Co2 per km

Mike.

Sorry to have to use you as an example Mike :D

BUT!

My car is a 3.0L but puts out 228 g/km - LESS than Mike's 1.8. So WHY do I pay more tax than him??

I know this carbon link idea is going to benefit a lot of people but it's SERIOUSLY flawed in some cases IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 diesel:
    Co2 = 127g/km,
    New tax rate = €432 p.a. (but the previous owner had it taxed until next August anyway. :D)

The new system applied to my old car:
    1.8 petrol:
    Co2 = 187g/km,
    New tax rate = €530 p.a.

MarkN wrote: »
    My car is a 3.0L but puts out 228 g/km - LESS than Mike's 1.8. So WHY do I pay more tax than him??.
    Don't wanna sound like a broken record, but paying more tax than Mike was one of the decisions you took when buying a 3.0L car!

Actually Mike, I thought I was bad with 1595cc and 198g, but how do you manage 236 from a 1.8? My old 98 Accord coupe 2.0 auto did better (235!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote: »
    Wishbone Ash

http://usedcars.virginmedia.com/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=car_specs

Use the compare models feature to see the specs.

Mike.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    This is an easy one http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp (haven't tried your Mike)

Thanks lads - it's 228g.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    Don't wanna sound like a broken record, but paying more tax than Mike was one of the decisions you took when buying a 3.0L car!

That's not a very GREEN answer ! ;)

It's a modern engine.. it should be a modern tax.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.6 petrol 159g/kg

Old tax €360 odd, new tax a bit higher +c.9%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MKV GTI
    Current road tax = €539
    2008 road tax = €590

C02 emissions = 192 g/km, putting it in the 32% VRT, up 2% from current 30% bracket... meaning a similar new car should cost about 2% more. Hardly worth getting too excited about, for anyone considering buying a new GTI or similar, considering cars go up in price by that or similar amounts year on year anyway.
    What will be interesting is how how much 2.0 diesels and the likes reduce in price by (if at all!). For example, the latest GT 170 bhp diesel Golf has an emissions rating of just 158g/km, meaning it will be subject to 8% less VRT than the 2.0 GTI petrol.... I can see diesels getting very very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

cantdecide wrote: »

No data for my car here - does anyone know any other sources of this info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tax: €1343 going on €1492 :rolleyes:
    cc: 3498
    CO2: 300g/km

Advertisement