Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats your current tax rate / Engine cc and CO2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

159g/km
    2.0 litre diesel VAG
    OLD €539
    NEW €590

It sucks that I should pay the same tax as a GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JHMEG wrote: »
    While Biodiesel is good and def a lot better than fossil fuels, I don't think you can say with certainty that it is ever zero in terms of added CO2 (unless you produce it all yourself).

I answered and addressed that argument in my post. The less forgiving research puts fresh Oil BioD at extremely minimal C02 (78% less than diesel). Common understanding in laymans terms however is that its CO2 Neutral.

And surely reusing old oil is "free C02" as its an exteme example of recycling. To get better you will need to goto exotic, expensive and therefore currently impractical tech. But before doing that, imagine if cars had any tuning for BioDiesel (similar the Flexi fuel Saab and its gains from BioEthanol), results in every metric would be improved. Or the fact that instead of buying new hybrids, resuing old diesel cars on biofuels must be massively more environmentially sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

dbar wrote: »
    40 yoyo's a year for a 6.2 V8 diesel.
    Not a clue what the emissions are.
    As its vintage, no change!
    Sorry,
    Couldnt resist!
    ;)

Where's Junkyard??

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's just VRT thats co2 based from July. Tax is staying as is (plus the % increase), is it not?

i think that the road tax is changing from the 1st July, to be based on CO2
    emissions instead of engine size. to be announced tomorrow??

i also noticed that some diesels are only 5 or so g CO2 away from my car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Current tax is 800 something
    2494cc
    Engine: SULEV=Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle
    I have not a clue what is my CO2 emission, tried google, could not find it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Tax 484
    CO2 179
    CC 1796

Really p*ssed off at the announced increase. If it was environmentally driven then fair enough. In the private sector this carry on is called "sharp practice"

VRT changes (applauded) affect those who can decide, i.e those with the funds and are choosing a new car, and so may influence "green" decisions. Road tax hits everyone regardless, its a blunt instrument and a blatant revenue raiser...

*feel better now* :D

PS you know you're getting old when your tax is greater than your comp insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CO2 around 230
    CC 1995cc

oh dear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

For the next week or two anyway
    49cc, around 48euro and i wouldn't say my emissions count for much...

Not for long though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    It's a modern engine.. it should be a modern tax.
    Aye but you knew when buying your 2007 car that you were getting a 1992 tax to go with it.

Mark, if tax was based on CO2 emissions, then yes, it would be unfair that you are paying more than Mike. But the simple fact is that it's based on displacement (and has been for a long time) in which case it's very fair that you pay a lot more than Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

1.6 so currently 391. Not sure exactly what the increase will make it, but whatever it is, it's too much.
    CO2 emissions not available (car too old)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

to clarify re road tax and co2..

taken from cowans budget doc. 1 july onwards, road tax is based on co2!! for new cars!
    Motor Tax

Motor tax is an essential contributor to Local Government funding. Motor tax has not been changed since 2004. Since then the CPI has risen by around 15%. It is proposed to increase the existing motor tax rates by 9.5% for cars below 2.5 litres and 11% for larger cars from 1 February 2008. Details are contained in the Summary of Budget Measures.

To complement the changes in the VRT system, the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government also intends to bring forward proposals that will link motor tax to CO2 emissions for new cars from 1 July 2008. These measures will allow consumers to act in an environmentally responsible way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

**EDIT**
    cantdecide wrote: »
    This is an easy one http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp (haven't tried your Mike)

238 from a 2.8 for every km.

My car is nissan almera sxe
    1497. link doesnt list my car so put down for sx (similar)
    160 g/km
    not bad

If anyone can find what my 2004 BMW 325i M56 SULEV C02 ratio is I will give him a MacDo voucher :-)

My car is said to pollute up to 50% less that a normal bimmer, so making my C02 ratio between 100-120.
    But I can't find the exact BMW source that says it.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

can anyone find me the rating for a 95 M3 ? The c02 sites listed here, list it as a 3.2 litre which is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Current tax rate: 1,901-2,000 €539/year
    New tax rate from Feb 1st: €539 + 9.5%/year = €590 (€51 increase).
    cO2 = 165 g/km Euro IV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Lexus LS400 4.0 V8

3969 cc €1343 going up to €1490 I think

CO2 is 248g/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

mick.fr wrote: »
    If anyone can find what my 2004 BMW 325i M56 SULEV C02 ratio is I will give him a MacDo voucher :-)

It's a Beemer in this part of the world, Bimmers are what the Yanks call them(and then only for cars, Beemer is for BMW Motorbikes):D. The CO2 ratio is either the same or almost the same as a normal 325i E46.
    mick.fr wrote: »
    My car is said to pollute up to 50% less that a normal bimmer, so making my C02 ratio between 100-120.

No it doesn't, unless the M56B25 does twice the mpg an M54B25 does! CO2 is proportional to mpg, higher mpg=less Co2, lower mpg=more CO2.

It probably pollutes less Nitrous Oxide, Carbon Monoxide and hydrocarbons, but definately does NOT pollute less CO2 unless the mpg is better than the M54 lump(which IIRC was 31 mpg).

Anyway, my car is 1834 cc and pollutes 164 g/km, so I'm guessing under Minister Gormless whoops I mean Gormley's plans it will now cost €560 to tax(cause it was €511 IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

BMW 2.0 - between 213 and 225 g/km from what I can find out

I think I should be taken out back and shot ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

E755 / 2261cc / 231 g/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

4172cc / 350g/km

Currently €1,343
    Going to be €1,491

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Gormley announces new carbon-based car taxes
    06/12/2007 - 13:55:06

Minister for Environment John Gormley has announced details of a new tax system that will penalise motorists based on their vehicle's carbon emissions.

At the lower end of the scale, cars that emit just 120 grams of carbon per kilometre will be subject to a yearly tax of €100.

At the higher end, cars emitting 225 grams per kilometre will cost their owner €2,000-a-year.

Mr Gormley says the move is designed to encourage people to buy more environmentally friendly cars.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/index.aspx?c=ireland&jp=mhmhsneyqlql

Does that not mean that most cars even within an "asses roar" of 2 litres will be paying 2 grand per year???!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

'90 Nissan Micra (non catalytic converter model)

Engine Size: 998cc Petrol
    CO2: Don't know, and I don't care really
    Current Tax: €151
    New Tax: €165

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Darn, pity these new tax rates only apply to new cars from July.
    My 1.9TDI is costing about 550/yr at current.
    Emissions:149g/km
    Under new rates it would only have been 290/year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

JHMEG wrote: »
    Average engine size on this thread is a supersize 2.9 litres:eek:

If that's a reflection of modern Ireland, and we call the Americans fat...

In US:
    Registration/Tax $40
    4.7L
    CO2 393 g/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

maoleary wrote: »
    Lexus LS400 4.0 V8

3969 cc €1343 going up to €1490 I think

CO2 is 248g/km

Try €2000 :mad:

Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Try €2000 :mad:

Band G, the top band – motor tax rate of €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per kilometre.

New bands apply ONLY to new cars registered from July 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

1390cc engine

Manufacturers website details the following figures:

CO² mass emission : City driving (g/km) 214 - 216
    CO² mass emission : Extra city driving (g/km) 127 - 130
    CO² mass emission : Ponderable (g/km) 158 - 161

I know I won't be on the new tax system but out of curiosity which figure would be used??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

2.7 cdi diesel, currently costs me €999 a year to tax, new tax based on Co2 is €600. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

macnab wrote: »
    2.7 cdi diesel, currently costs me €999 a year to tax, new tax based on Co2 is €600. :)

Not for you it wont be...

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    It's a Beemer in this part of the world, Bimmers are what the Yanks call them(and then only for cars, Beemer is for BMW Motorbikes):D. The CO2 ratio is either the same or almost the same as a normal 325i E46.

No it doesn't, unless the M56B25 does twice the mpg an M54B25 does! CO2 is proportional to mpg, higher mpg=less Co2, lower mpg=more CO2.

It probably pollutes less Nitrous Oxide, Carbon Monoxide and hydrocarbons, but definately does NOT pollute less CO2 unless the mpg is better than the M54 lump(which IIRC was 31 mpg).

Anyway, my car is 1834 cc and pollutes 164 g/km, so I'm guessing under Minister Gormless whoops I mean Gormley's plans it will now cost €560 to tax(cause it was €511 IIRC).

Yeah I possibly have the same CO2 emissions.
    I finally managed to find some figures:

325i SULEV engine

HC: 0.01 gr per mile
    CO: 1.0 g per mile
    NOx: 0.02 g per mile

Compared to a classic 325i M54 (Same year as mine) engine the figures are:

HC: 0.1 gr per mile
    CO: 1.0 g per mile
    NOx: 0.08 g per mile

I feel like having a very special bimmer lol, even my fuel tank is in stainless steel.

I found some other info, from BMW.

The updated 2.5 liter engine designated M56B25, has been phased into production on E46 Super Ultra
    Low Emission Vehicles (SULEV) along with various other emission control system changes listed
    below.
    The M56B25 power output and vehicle performance is the same as the comparable model equipped with
    the M54B25 engine.
    SULEV models listed above will be sold in California, New York and Massachusetts as 2003 models
    and in Vermont starting in 2004 model year.
    The M54B25 engine will continue to be incorporated in these models (for all other states) for the 2003
    model year.
    In addition, these vehicles are certified as Partial Zero Emission Vehicles (PZEV):
    􀁺 The vehicles meet the SULEV tailpipe emission standard, which is approximately 1/5 of the
    ULEV standard.

Specifics engine:

- HC block in the air intake system:
    Hydrocarbon escape via the intake system is prevented
    due to the use of an additional carbon filter (1)
    incorporated in the air filter housing and a "closed"
    throttle valve actuator (2).

- Fuel system components:
    All metal fuel system components (fuel rail (1),
    injectors (2), tank ventilation valve (3), etc.) are made
    of stainless steel and are fastened together using
    coupling type connectors (4).

- Fuel tank and tank ventilation system:
    The fuel tank (1), tank filler neck (2) and evaporative
    canister (3) are made of stainless steel.

- Crankcase ventilation system:
    The crankcase ventilation valve (1) is incorporated in
    the aluminum cylinder head cover (2).

- (1) Dual down stream catalytic converters
    (2) "Warm up" catalytic converters – high cell density
    technology
    (3) Upstream oxygen sensors – wide band technology
    (4) Pistons – only 3mm fire land
    (5) VANOS – set to fixed position during start up for
    improved engine start
    (6) New style fuel injectors – 4 hole design (5 bar fuel
    pressure)