Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonia O' Sullivan and the Marathon

• 05-12-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

I've been pondering over the way the end of Sonia's career panned out, and what I can't figure out is why she didn't go down the marathon route (no pun intended) sooner. It was a crying shame the way her Olympic career ended in Athens, and I was pondering as to whether she might have been a medal prospect in the Athens' Marathon had she switched to pre-2004. With the likes of Defar and Diababa having emmerged at that stage, it was doubtful that at the age of 33 or 34 (or whatever age she was at the olympics) that she was going to make an impact over 5000m. The marathon, however, might have brought her a good placing, and even a shot at the bronze medal.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Doubt it - she was so far off the top when she did move that I doubt she'd ever have had any big success. What is there to suggest that she would ever have been a top marathon runner. Her best track event wasn't even the 10,000m so I don't see how she'd have been anything like her track standard at the marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

3 thousand meters seemed to be "her" event. I think she would have even had a more successful career had that particular event stayed as a distance race at championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Well, OK, while the 3000m (or even the 2000m given her hold on its world record!) seemed to be her strongest distance, there's no denieing her talent over the 10000m even if the 5000m and below were her strongest points in her prime.

My argument, however, is in relation to the Athens Olympics. I feel that at the age she was at, with all the superstars that dominate today's distance running already establishing themselves in the event, there would have been a greater chance for a higher finish in the Marathon. Her PB was set relatively recently (2005) of 2.29, IIRC, I would just love to know what could have been had she switched her focus to the longer distances, like Jo Pavey did when she moved upwards from the 5 to the 10000m at major champs.
    I think she would have even had a more successful career had that particular event stayed as a distance race at championships.
    Interesting point. What was the reason for that change? Equality?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yeah I think the change from 3k to 5k for women at major champs was something to do with equality.

You may be right about a move to the marathon in 2004 yielding a higher finishing position. It all depends on the runner though obviously Sonia didn't feel like running that event, the heat may have played a major part in her decision or maybe she just doesn't enjoy the training.

I still think if she had the desire she is capable of reaching next years olympics at the marathon and would love to see her try get the standard (2.37 ish I think). There was talk of her trying to run the time in Berlin but I think she picked up an injury. Some people think she should retire but why do so ? If she is enjoying yourself and still running relatively quick times go for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lindab

vince is spot on,3k was her best event.pity it wasnt just ran in golden leagues.Sonia had some career.800m-2.00.69NR 1500m 3.58.85NR 3k 8.21.64NR
    5k 14.41NR 10k 30.47NR half 67.19NR marathon 2.29.01(london)
    2k 5.25 WR

• Advertisement
Advertisement