Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Visa Or E.u Passports

Options
  • 05-12-2007 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

IM PLANNING ON SURPRISING MY GIRLFRIEND WHO IS SPANISH. IM IRISH

SHE HAS A SPANISH PASSPORT ISSUED APRIL 2006.
    I BELIEVE ITS MACHINE READABLE, ALTHOUGH IM DOUBTFUL IF THE PHOTO IS DIGITAL!

IM UNSURE WHAT TO DO, SHE IS IN SPAIN UNTIL 29TH DEC, WHEN WE GO TO WASHINGTON ON 31 DEC.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF ITS A NECESSARY REQUIREMENT A DIGITAL PHOTO.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR A SPANISH PASSPORT TO BE PROCESSED IN IRELAND OR SPAIN?

AND THE LENGTH OF WAITING FOR A U.S. VISA, DO YOU HAVE TO GO IN PERSON TO GET THE VISA OR CAN IT BE DONE OVER THE PHONE / MAIL?

IM WORRIED ABOUT THESE - CAN ANYONE HELP OR ADVISE PLEASE

my email is jonathanmeenan@hotmail.com

or message on here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jmeenan

I DONT KNOW IF IM MAKING SENSE. THE TERM DIGITAL PHOTO ON THE PASSPORT?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

IS THE PHOTOS YOU GET IN THE INSTANT CAMERA BOOTHS IN THE SHOPPING CENTRES AND CHEMISTS ISNT THAT DIGITAL ??

THESE ARE WHAT I SENT TO ALL MY LAST PASSPORTS AND ID'S

IM JUST PUZZLED AS TO WHAT THE TERM DIGITAL MEANS..:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If she has a valid passport, she should be fine to travel. Mine was issued in September 2001 and I've never had any problems travelling to the US on it. A digital photo shouldn't be a requirement, but I can't be certain of that. You should ring your airline to check.

How long are you going to the US for? If it's just a short trip, you go through immigration either in Ireland or in America and you'll receive your visa there.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Spain are a part of the Visa Waiver Programme as well, so the same general rules apply as they do to your passport.

However... There are slightly different entry criteria based on when the passport was issues or renewed ( i.e. if you had a 10 year passport that was 8 years old when the new reg's came in you have different criteria then if your passport was issues last year )

All the details and conbinations are available from the VWP site at

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html

Hope this helps

I believe "digital" just refers to the picture being taken with a digital camera by a profession, rather than in a booth. However, as her passport is 18 months old, I think it's okay.

yes thanks for that, i read it already... it says she requires a digital photo on the passport.

I know she has a colour photo from a booth taken 2 years ago.

Is this classified as digital...

the embassey of america said its ok if its not stapled or glued. im confused to what this means, a colour photo was sent to the spanish office and they put the passport photo on the passport, im confused..

• Advertisement

It will be fine. The photo will have been laminated into place by the Spanish passport office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

My passport was issued in 1998 (10yr) and I went to America for the summer just gone..No problems with it..so ye're grand out.

im really worried about this..havent sleep in 2 days...

she is coming to ireland for the weekend so may ask for her passport for a few days and investigate when i get a free moment...

but i hope it doesnt leave it too late, if i need a visa or passport in spain for her

fast mover, did they scan it? what do they do?

how is the photo in yours ?? is it digital or from a booth?

jmeenan wrote: »
    yes thanks for that, i read it already... it says she requires a digital photo on the passport.

I know she has a colour photo from a booth taken 2 years ago.

Is this classified as digital...

All it really means is that the actual photo she submitted is not on the passport. Most EU passports issued in the last few years take the photo you submit, scan it in and print the scanned photo onto the passport page. This is what they mean.

If the passport is 18 months old, then there is no worry, it will be to standards or they would not still be in the VWP !

• Advertisement

fast mover, did they scan it? what do they do?

how is the photo in yours ?? is it digital or from a booth?

My passport was still machine readable.
    My picture was from a booth back in the day..nowadays you have to get it digitally done by a professional..but if your girlfriend already has a passport then it's grand.

Anyway OP..relax, the passport is fine.

fast mover did you need a visa of any kind ?

when did you go to the Usa?

OP... I was there in July ( twice ) with a passport about 18 months old... no visa needed.

You get a green I94-W form to fill out that is a "Visa Waiver" at check in along with a customs form.

You will be grand....

thank you everybody for the info provided.

I just hope everyones right :D

fast mover did you need a visa of any kind ?

when did you go to the Usa?

Went from June-Septemeber on a J1 visa.
    But your just going for a holiday right?
    As macrubicon said you just have to fill out 2forms, nothing major.

thanks people

just hope your all right

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Is english your native language ?

Anyways, Digital image means biometric passport i.e. chip

Not really anyone bringing them in yet afaik.

Advertisement