Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Average Price For an Oil change?

Options
  • 05-12-2007 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering would anyone know the average price I should expect to pay from a garage/independent mechanic - don't really have an idea of ranges. It's a Toyota Starlet. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Im sure you mean a service, an oil change should cost only about €60 max but they will not check out the rest of your car.

You should have a service done on your car especially this time of the year with the bad road conditions to check all is well with your car. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Thanks. The car was only recently bought so I think it's ok for a full service for another bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I dont mean to put you down, but if its just an oil change, you can do it yourself in about 10 minutes. If you need advice to do it. Just PM me. Dont pay someone to do it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

X2

Starlet is one of the easiest cars to service. €22 for a 5L can of oil (of which you'll only use 3L) and €5 for an oil filter. Only tool I think you'll need is a 17 (or is it a 14) spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Healyc wrote: »
    Im sure you mean a service, an oil change should cost only about €60 max but they will not check out the rest of your car.

You should have a service done on your car especially this time of the year with the bad road conditions to check all is well with your car. :D

Youre deluding yourself if you think a mechanic is going to look at anything but the oil, plugs and filters when doing a standard service!

Take the lads advice and do it yourself, its easier than you think. Dont waste money on a mechanic who couldnt be arsed about your car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Dont waste money on a mechanic who couldnt be arsed about your car.

Another rant about mechanics! Trust me, most of us grease monkeys do take extreme pride in our work. It is just the muppets that the garage hire on the reception desk that dont have a clue about cars when they are either handing over the cars or taking the bookings. :mad:

I have some great experience with some independent garages who will do a far better job than the main dealers as most of the time the person who takes the car off you and hands it back after the work is the "Technican" who was working on it. They can explain exactly what they did and it installs great trust with the customer. :D

Advertisement