Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU upgrade Advice

Options
  • 05-12-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to install a second EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS 640MB in SLI config, and have a few questions someone here might help me with.
    When I contacted Alienware, they advised me that the current 700 watt PSU is not up to the job, and quoted me €705 for a 2nd 8800GTS & 1000 watt PSU.

The current one is a ‘700 WATT OEM ATX PSU REV2’, would any ATX (?) PSU do, is it correct to assume they would all be the same size physically ?
    Do I even need 1000W?

I can buy a 2nd 8800GTS for €370 on dabs, and a 1000W PSU for €195, a substantial saving of €135 without shopping around much...
    I don’t think installing will be a problem, what do you think?

Any Recommendations’ as to what PSU to go for?

Thanks in advance.

G.

PC Specs:

AREA 51 R5
    1 | FULL-TOWER BLACK CASE 2.0B
    1 | EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI MB REV D
    1 | EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E
    1 | CORE 2 DUO 2.13GHZ E6400 2M CACHE 1066MHZ
    2 | QIMONDA 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD WM552/XG691
    1 | WESTERN DIGITAL 160GB SATA 10K RPM HDD
    1 | SAMSUNG SPINPOINT 250GB SATA II (3.0Gbps) HDD
    1 | NEC 18X DUAL LAYER DVD±R/W RAM RECORDER
    1 | LG 20X DUAL LAYER DVD±R/W DRIVE W/ LI
    1 | INTEGRATED HIGH-DEF AUDIO NVIDIA C55-MB
    1 | AVC PENTIUM 4 DUAL CORE EE HSF Z9H741K001/007
    1 | 700 WATT OEM ATX PSU REV2
    1 | GX2 G80 DUAL SLOT CARD KEEPER
    2 | SATA DATA CBL 60 CMS ST TO R ANGLE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You really should be fine with that power supply you already have. You don't need a 1kw psu for GTS Sli, unless your 700w psu was total junk, but I really doubt that's the case if it came with an Alienware setup. Those PSU's are always multi-gpu approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks Havok, will get all info I can re. load of all components and total to get full load on PSU anyway to make sure.

If it comes to it-are all PSU's identical size wise, should it be a straight swap?

Yeah if it's a standard ATX psu then you're fine. Open your case and take a picture of the label...I've never really heard much about Alienware stock psu's but from gathering bits and pieces here and there looks like it was quad 12v rails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Found this tool recently for calculating your minimum recommended psu wattage. I'm not sure how accurate it is and its also for Asus boards so it may vary for other mobo manufacturers but it should give you a rough guide.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

farna_boy wrote: »
    Found this tool recently for calculating your minimum recommended psu wattage. I'm not sure how accurate it is and its also for Asus boards so it may vary for other mobo manufacturers but it should give you a rough guide.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Nice find. Getting 800Watts Recommended, looks like I need the 1000w.

• Advertisement

The rails are more important then the wattage. As long as your power supply is a good one, 700w is more then enough. You do not need a 1kw psu to run GTS Sli.

Havok,

Point taken but I want to make this thing a bit more future proof.
    If I upgrade to 2 x GTX's or similar 12 months down the line, I don't want to face another PSU upgrade.

This is whats currently installed-as you see below it takes up plenty of space, so something like this Cooler master 1 kW should fit.

DSC00510.jpg

Advertisement