Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Trinity Is Here!!

Options
  • 05-12-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

05/12/2007
    EVE: Trinity Deployed, Manual Patches Available
    EVE: Trinity has been deployed and is accepting connections. At the onset, we will open Tranquility to 1,000 users and increase the number of connections allowed as server stability increases.

I'm #13 in line, 5.5k players currently online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

54% of the new graphics downloaded, pre-patch installed now to play the waiting game. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

It looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

stupid graphics upgrade.

my computer could just about handle the old graphics.
    Probably gona have to buy a new pc now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Apparently there's a bug with Jump clones on it. :(
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=651459

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

A bit more seriously it also happily deletes your boot.ini file if you run xp or lower so congrats if you've turned your pc off since installing the premium patch :D

Well done CCP. I lost my boot file but fortunately hadn't rebooted so fixed the problem straight away and I'm all ok. Would hate to be a non techie right about now.

As for the patch itself..... GFX are okay, nothing amazing and my rook has lost it's sexy black and lime colour scheme :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

A bit more seriously it also happily deletes your boot.ini file if you run xp or lower so congrats if you've turned your pc off since installing the premium patch :D

Well done CCP. I lost my boot file but fortunately hadn't rebooted so fixed the problem straight away and I'm all ok. Would hate to be a non techie right about now.

As for the patch itself..... GFX are okay, nothing amazing and my rook has lost it's sexy black and lime colour scheme :(

I have XP and my boot.ini is fine.

edit: man I've been reading some right horror stories about this, stupid CCP.

Maddzy wrote: »
    I have XP and my boot.ini is fine.

Apparently it depends on which file set you download.
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=651679&page=1
    If you are only using the Classic client or installed the Premium client using the full Premium installer than you are not affected.

If you upgraded from the Classic client to the Premium client, using the content upgrade, then please read on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The boot file **** up only happened to a few people and not everyone as far as I know.

I just tried to rat in my torpedo raven. It didn't go too well. :(

farohar wrote:
    If you upgraded from the Classic client to the Premium client, using the content upgrade, then please read on.

This is what I did last night, but I've restarted my PC since then and it was fine. I just checked it now again and the boot.ini is now gone from my machine (after I started up trinity). Lucky I double checked. Thanks for posting this farohar.

I'm just quoting the good folks from CCP.:)

I'm going to be absolutely paranoid whenever I do get around to updating and logging in, as I'm definitely not tech savy enough to figure out what to do if my laptop fails to boot up due to a missing file(s).:(

Seem to be a few people complaining that the FPS with the new client is not good too, but to be honest I'm not surprised at that, it'll probably take time to streamline it and get the FPS up to near classic levels.

*Just encountered this info:
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=652181
    It was the installation which nuked your boot.ini
    The patch was updated this morning to stop doing that, so if you download it again your other computers should be safe.

~ Prism X
    EvE Soylent-Green Database Developer,
    Relocating your character to a cozy, giant secure container since 2006.
    So at least that should stop happening people hopefully.

• Advertisement

It really is another PR mess up for CCP they always manage to do something completely off-the-wall. At least its fixed (or so they say). Trinity is running fine for myself so far but I did notice some dips in fps when moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That's an impressive ****-up. That's not a nice problem for people to wake up to, techie or not.

It does look much prettier now though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

stupid graphics upgrade.

my computer could just about handle the old graphics.
    Probably gona have to buy a new pc now.

Leave the premium update alone then, a few people are reporting that classic eve is running better for them on low end systems. Even if you update you can still turn off the premium content.

This bug is for starting the servers early. They should have left it down till 2am and then announced it would have to be down for a few hours more :) all from a nice warm pub. People expect a big **** up on patch day at this stage tbh.

Eve has a boot.ini file in it's program folder and I think the updater was nuking your system boot.ini rather than eves one.

Either way the faulty updater has been repaired all should now be right with the world now. Oh except my rook has lost it's paint job as already mentioned but they switched the spare hi slot for a lo slot..... f'ing annoying...... No cloak or probe launching fun for the rook anymore..

Yea aparently theres a file in the Eve installation called something.boot.ini and whoever programmed the Trinity installer left out the first . so when removing the install files it removed the Windows boot.ini insted. Likely this person will be fired for this. Its amazing the problem got past their quality control guys (if they have any).

btw cloaking and de-cloaking looks awesome in the new grphics.

Maddzy wrote: »
    btw cloaking and de-cloaking looks awesome in the new grphics.

Really? I haven't played more than 1 minute this morning but cloaking looks like you have a line running across your ship. I thought it looked crap :D Much preferred the older star trekesque way of cloaking although it may just be my vid settings atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

any pics?

Heres the new cloaking when it was on Sisi, its a bit more solid looking now on tranq
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrxPHT09xE

I like it, the old cloaking used to mess up and you could see the guns for second or two after the rest of the ship had cloaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

Tbh, I was hoping my connection problem would be solved by the new trinity update. Since the previous patch was applied (on about 13th November) I haven't been able to stay connected for more than a few mins at a time. The game keeps crashing to login screen and I get some sort of C++ error popup dialogue box.

Well after running the game today, I'm still having the same problems so I've effectively been unable to play for over 3 weeks now. CCP haven't even acknowledged its a problem despite the threads on eve forums, so I'll be cancelling my 2 accounts shortly. Pity they couldn't solve basic connectivity issues before adding the eye candy. :mad:

Loaded up Eve-premium last night and even a lowly badger mark II looks impressive with the new graphics.:)

• Advertisement

But it's only the ships and star gates etc that have changed..... To be quite honest I was expecting a complete makeover. Given the performance impact this new version has on my ability to do other things whilst playing eve (as well as a slightly slower game experience itself despite having a nice enough pc) I contemplated simply switching back to classic last night and may do so over the weekend.

And they've stopped wrecks showing up on the scanner, that's really annoyed me!

And they've stopped wrecks showing up on the scanner, that's really annoyed me!

They still show on the overview for me. Or do you mean when you intentionally scan a system for something?

One big irritation for me is that you can't show the details on 2 items/ships at the same time anymore as it refuses to open it as a separate window, makes it much more tedious to do a comparison between items/ships.

farohar wrote: »
    One big irritation for me is that you can't show the details on 2 items/ships at the same time anymore as it refuses to open it as a separate window, makes it much more tedious to do a comparison between items/ships.

There's an option in the settings, I can't remember which tab, just hit esc and have a look for the tick box "Use exisiting window" or something like that. It should stop doing that.
    Given the performance impact this new version has on my ability to do other things whilst playing eve (as well as a slightly slower game experience itself despite having a nice enough pc) I contemplated simply switching back to classic last night and may do so over the weekend.

Have a look in the preimum graphic settings, two options there will effect the speed of the game and your pc. Shadow detail and Cache. The cache makes eve run a bit smoother but will eat your RAM as eve preloads as much as you allow it. The guide on the forum was

off - less than 1gb
    low - 1gb
    medium - 2gb
    high - 2gb
    extreme - 3gb+

Adjust it for your system and see how things run, turn it down get better preformance in windows. It set mine to extreme when I only have 1.2gb of RAM, windows was quite laggy, turning it to low helped a good bit. Turning it to off should make it act the same way as the old client but still quite shiney.

Mantel wrote: »
    There's an option in the settings, I can't remember which tab, just hit esc and have a look for the tick box "Use exisiting window" or something like that. It should stop doing that.

Reasonably sure I tried that last night, I'll recheck tonight/tomorrow though.

Mantel wrote: »
    Have a look in the preimum graphic settings, two options there will effect the speed of the game and your pc. Shadow detail and Cache. The cache makes eve run a bit smoother but will eat your RAM as eve preloads as much as you allow it. The guide on the forum was

off - less than 1gb
    low - 1gb
    medium - 2gb
    high - 2gb
    extreme - 3gb+

Adjust it for your system and see how things run, turn it down get better preformance in windows. It set mine to extreme when I only have 1.2gb of RAM, windows was quite laggy, turning it to low helped a good bit. Turning it to off should make it act the same way as the old client but still quite shiney.

Cheers, I'll give that a whirl. I admitedly haven't tinkered all that much with it yet so I'll mess around with it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The pretty graphics give me better frame rates than Classic used to. Buy a new pc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

BillyCom wrote: »
    Tbh, I was hoping my connection problem would be solved by the new trinity update. Since the previous patch was applied (on about 13th November) I haven't been able to stay connected for more than a few mins at a time. The game keeps crashing to login screen and I get some sort of C++ error popup dialogue box.

Well after running the game today, I'm still having the same problems so I've effectively been unable to play for over 3 weeks now. CCP haven't even acknowledged its a problem despite the threads on eve forums, so I'll be cancelling my 2 accounts shortly. Pity they couldn't solve basic connectivity issues before adding the eye candy. :mad:

Yea same here. Are you on NTL? I got an email from them this morning saying that they are aware this is affecting there customers and they are working on the issue.

The pretty graphics give me better frame rates than Classic used to. Buy a new pc...

Got an amd3700 (I think, I forget right now), gig of ram and a 1800xt which is more than happy with the new engine. The pretty gfx should give you better frames because alot of work has been passed to the gfx card rather than the cpu.

The main issue I have will probably be resolved by turning the cache off however I'm still not particularly wowed by the difference between old and new. I appreciate the ships look nice but that's all they changed really..... No real great shakes.

Got an amd3700 (I think, I forget right now), gig of ram and a 1800xt which is more than happy with the new engine. The pretty gfx should give you better frames because alot of work has been passed to the gfx card rather than the cpu.

The main issue I have will probably be resolved by turning the cache off however I'm still not particularly wowed by the difference between old and new. I appreciate the ships look nice but that's all they changed really..... No real great shakes.

Aye, I'm on a 2700+, 1600xt and 1.2gb of ram. I think the graphics update is being made in stages. Stations and ships first, more later but I'm not too sure what they're planning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

I'm on NTL and am having the same connection issues recently- last month specifically. Still not sure whether it's NTLs fault or CCPs though.... or mine :)

Advertisement