Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal? Kitten thinks dog is his mother

Options
  • 06-12-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Iv got a 4 and a half month old male kitten and a 2 and half year old neutered female dog. I have just after catching the kitten sucking on 1 of my dog's nipples. Is this normal? The kitten has been away from his mother for the past 10 weeks so i would have guessed by now he would have forgotten about his mother's nipples. But he's now treating my dog as his mother by sucking on her nipples and trying to get milk. How would i stop this kind of behaviour. The last thing i want is to be goin into the vet with my dog in 1 hand and her nipple in the other hand (the kitten has teeth). Its got to be sore and he might eat it of her. I hope he doesn't come after me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If she's really content, one of our cats sometimes mimics feeding (kneading my clothing and trying to suck on it) and she's an adult.

Perhaps get one of those old lady owner-type tartan warmers for the dog, he can't get at the nipples? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

we have had many foster kittens through our doors and we have a terrier who think its job to mother them and clean bums as a result they all end up loving her.

Here is one such foster kitten trying to see if milk might be on offer :D
    HPIM0633.jpg

She loves kittens and they seem to love her as well
    CIMG1925.jpg
    CIMG1932.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.
    The kitten is looking for comfort and contact with a mother (substitute, in this case), and the bitch has a mothering instinct that's being partially fulfilled by allowing the kitten to suckle.
    Don't worry about the kitten injuring the bitch either; nature has programmed suckling infants (of all species) not to use their teeth, it wouldn't be good for the survival of the species.
    If the kitten does inadvertently give her a nip, she'll inform him of his error quick smart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If, however, they start approaching you saying "bitty" - then you can start to get concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

MsFifers wrote: »
    If, however, they start approaching you saying "bitty" - then you can start to get concerned.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement