Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems starting a Ford Fusion Auto

Options
  • 06-12-2007 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm hoping you guys can help me but bear with me as I'm the least technically minded person on this planet.

We have a 2003 Ford Fusion , bought second hand during the summer. The last two times we have put petrol in we have experienced problems starting the car.

Basically what happens is that when you turn the key in the ignition nothing happens, leave it a while, eventually starts but the display goes from N to 4 and then back to N again, then can't get it into R (stuck on N). Leave it a while longer , then starts and runs fine.

We bought it to our usual garage (non ford) , they plugged in the computer, checked it out from top to bottom , can't find the fault. He did suggest not putting a full tank of petrol in that maybe there is an airbubble or something (could have this bit wrong!). But when my husband filled up , he only put half a tank in so not the problem there.

I've searched on the internet to try and find an answer myself and have found one or two posts describing the problem but not the solution. I'm now wondering whether I should wait for the fault to reoccur and then going to my usual garage or should I bring it now to a Ford garage to have a look at.

Any help or advice you guys could give would be much appreciated,

Liz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's an automatic. It sounds like a problem with the gear lever position sensor. An auto will only start in P or N. So if the position sensor is faulty it could explain the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭lizzyd66

Would that explain an intermittent fault too? It has happened on two occasions , once yesterday, once two weeks ago. The rest of the time it is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's an automatic. It sounds like a problem with the gear lever position sensor. An auto will only start in P or N. So if the position sensor is faulty it could explain the problem.

Yeah exactly what Crosstownk said. It could be the gear lever position sensor or the neutral position switch but it should show up as a fault on their diagnostic equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sounds like there may be some crossover or short between fuel gauge and gear lever position sensor. Try checking with diagnostic equipment when petrol tank is full.

Thanks very much guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Keep us informed on how you get on!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but finally got to bring my car to a Ford garage today (to get a new fuel sensor fitted) and they managed to fix the problem! It was a software glitch which they have now resolved. Thanks again for all your help - I find this forum invaluable.

Advertisement