Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Procedure For Stops and Charges??

• 06-12-2007 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just seeking a few answers after finally getting fed up by being targetted by guards because of the type of car I drive....

I was told I would be getting a speeding notification tonight as 'it took a while for us to get up to you'...this was said after he had to turn around so on the basis if no speed gun reading is available does this charge still stand, even though I am pretty sure if I was over the speed limit it was just by a few kmh??he also asked me why I had gone straight through a stop sign (straight through as in slowing down when coming up, looking right and when seeing it was clear to continue on and not 'fully stop') and that I would be in court for that which I guess on law I was wrong, but I don't think that is a mandatory court appearence unless this summons is from some of the rest of the list below???

I was also asked 'where my exhaust' was, as I was pretty confused by this question I just said 'on the back of the car' to which he replied 'thats not an exhaust' presumably because it isn't a standard one and said I would be advised to change it as I would be in court over it anyways because of noise etc...when do exhausts become 'illegal'???I think he was nitpicking for things to charge me with as I have 15" tyres and he got me to turn the car on and turn the wheels( to try and do me for tyre depth maybe??) and asked me were they standard tyres....he also said to another car behind me that was stopped at the same time that my car would be lifted soon because of all this!

Along with this I think I might be being charged with things such as no NCT etc despite the fact the car is in the country less than a week, and with the log book being sent over from england next week to be cleared in etc, it is impossible to actually have had one at this stage....
    To add to all that insult I think they slightly damaged my front right corner panel as when the passenger guard got out the driver guard did too but forgot to put on the handbrake, so it rolled back and the door hit but when I asked had it hit or caused damage he replied saying 'you should be more worried about if my leg was caught'.....if it is scraped or anything it would require a full respray of the car as it it a one off job :mad:

I was not told after this stop of any particular offences I was being charged with just that I would 'find out in court'...should they have produced a reading showing my apperent speed breaking or any othe rlist of offence to be charged with??Even in the case of no speed being recorded can they just say they believe I was over the speed limit and it will stand??
    Also for future reference if you are getting penalty points do you have to be notified when you are pulled over because I had this case before when my speedo was snapped and I was stopped, but the guard made no mention of points or speeding but I got a fine in the post later for speeding....

Thanks and any advice is appreciated in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please read the charter and consult a solicitor for legal advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement