Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange eircom netgear behaviour

Options
  • 06-12-2007 5:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I used to have eircom but moved house and took the router with me. The new place I moved into had digiweb. I wanted to make it wireless so I took a look at the Netgear (the older model) but there was only the modem entrance. So I decided to stick the internet ethernet cable into on of the ethernet slots anyway. But there was no internet. I left it for a few hours and came back again and there was internet. Swiched it off, reset it and the same thing happened again, internet after a few hours but none initially. I tested with another netgear router (the newer one from eircom) and the exact same thing happened. Any ideas why this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The router only routes via the DSL modem. If you have a separate modem (any non-DSL service) you need a different kind of router with a fifth etherent WAN port instead of phone port.

Argos call them Cable Routers (they arn't) because cable broadband usually has just an ethernet port on a modem too. Those two routers you have are only for phone line DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Thanks for the reply. Though, my point is it does work but only after it has bee plugged in for a few hours. I wanted to know the reason for this!

Advertisement