Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 speed

Options
  • 06-12-2007 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

i was on the M50 the other morningabout 5.00 am and was in the 60km zone i was on the out side lane and was doing about 70 km there waas a car coming behind me and it eventually out flashed headbeams light so i said to myself hes in a hurry and i moved over as i did he passed it was a garda jeep patrol not sure if he looked in , whats the story on that is he not suppose to put on his blue lights and does that mean i get a ticket ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

once theres no Gardi and no camera's.... make your own speed limit ( as every seems to do. )

consider yourself lucky the Gardi couldn't be bother to book you , even though there all out to get there Christmas bonus's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

faolteam wrote: »
    whats the story on that is he not suppose to put on his blue lights and does that mean i get a ticket ???
    If it was an unmarked vehicle, they may not have wanted to draw attention to thenselves. Generally, the blue lights are used for emergencies - they may have been in a hurry but it may not have been an emergency. ;) (The 'coffee and doughnuts' brigade will, no doubt, be along in due course!)

If you were getting a ticket, they would have pulled you over. I'd say they had more important things on their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

S.I.R wrote: »
    out to get there Christmas bonus's
    Ah yes, they get a cut of all ticket income! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Someone has to say it. It might as a well be me.

Why where you driving in the outside/overtaking lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

you beat me to it - he most likely flashed his lights at the idiot in the outside lane at 5.00am :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Agreed.

Gardaí have better things to do than book people driving at 70 kph blocking the overtaking lane at 5 AM in the morning.

The worst irritation on irish roads for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

they **** had not problem booking me for 68 in a 60 zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

neil_hosey wrote: »
    They're **** because they caught you speeding? Don't be such a cry-baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Out of interest, was this in Dublin?

Sounds extremely heavy handed, probably non-Traffic Corps guard trying to impress the bosses into letting him transfer into the Traffic Corps. Sorry to hear that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

v short speeding story!!, unmarked white ford mondeo passed me at speed one day and kept driving like a rally car on the road with very fast agressive overtaking, I decided to be nosey and keep up and then passed them on an open stretch, next thing lights + sirens came on, they were on a driving training course from Templemore Garda Training college, as it happens I was on way to hospital to see relative and gave a story and nothing done to me but a caution!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LOL!
    You were nosey and decided to keep up with someone who was "driving like a rally car with very fast agressive overtaking"? Sounds like you deserved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

If he was traveling alot faster than you he had no way of knowing what speed you were doing unless he slowed down and tailed you for a while at your speed.

If he was forced to do that then you should be pulled over, fined, and got a good kick up the hole for sitting in the outside lane when there was nothing inside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

maoleary wrote: »
    Agreed.

Gardaí have better things to do than book people driving at 70 kph blocking the overtaking lane at 5 AM in the morning.

The worst irritation on irish roads for me.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Assuming you keep an eye on your speedo it most likely read around 75 so thats what you thought you were doing. You knew you were plenty over the speed limit.

He was probably thinking "jesus another w anker that cant read signs"

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Anan1 wrote: »
    They're **** because they caught you speeding? Don't be such a cry-baby.

:rolleyes: good little girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Assuming you keep an eye on your speedo it most likely read around 75 so thats what you thought you were doing. You knew you were plenty over the speed limit.

He was probably thinking "jesus another w anker that cant read signs"

I don't think his speedo would overread by that much would it? Anyway 68 in a 60 is 13.3% over the limit, a caution would have sufficed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mox54 wrote: »
    v short speeding story!!, unmarked white ford mondeo passed me at speed one day and kept driving like a rally car on the road with very fast agressive overtaking, I decided to be nosey and keep up and then passed them on an open stretch, next thing lights + sirens came on, they were on a driving training course from Templemore Garda Training college, as it happens I was on way to hospital to see relative and gave a story and nothing done to me but a caution!!:rolleyes:
    Not the brightest star in the sky are ya?

D_murph wrote: »
    :rolleyes: good little girl

Very productive. are you a wanker for doing whatever job it is you do?

my job doesnt take peoples money out of their pockets and put points on their licenses under the guise of "road safety". out with the tripods on main dual carriageways on a turkey shoot but not on the dangerous places where they should be.

im not fooled anyway, even if you are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Hagar wrote: »
    Why where you driving in the outside/overtaking lane?

You saved me typing this ;)

• Advertisement

my job doesnt take peoples money out of their pockets and put points on their licenses under the guise of "road safety". out with the tripods on main dual carriageways on a turkey shoot but not on the dangerous places where they should be.

Yeah, they should be on the crest of bends on dangerous unlit backroads, that'd be a great idea.

and it only takes mone out of the pockets of people who break the law (it is a law you know, regardless of how much you might disagree with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Does your job keep druken b@stards off the road and thieving scumbags off the street. If you don't break the law, the Guards will leave you alone!!!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah, they should be on the crest of bends on dangerous unlit backroads, that'd be a great idea.

and it only takes mone out of the pockets of people who break the law (it is a law you know, regardless of how much you might disagree with it)

keep talking and you might even believe it yourself sometime ;)

the back roads ARE where people are being killed but the speed limits there are higher than some main roads. i know a few tiny bendy unlit boreens with an 80 kmh limit near me. ridiculous.

a big long straight stretch of dual carriageway with a 50km/h or 60km/h limit is nothing more than a revenue generator. if you cant see that youre blind or Gay Byrne and his kind have you brainwashed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Idiotic statement!

everybody's job takes someone's money, and yes anyone more than 10% over a given posted limit will and should be done.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Idiotic statement!

everybody's job takes someone's money, and yes anyone more than 10% over a given posted limit will and should be done.

another one :rolleyes: at least other ppls jobs give something in return for the money spent. and dont give me that safety crap, i already explained that

keep talking and you might even believe it yourself sometime ;)

the back roads ARE where people are being killed but the speed limits there are higher than some main roads. i know a few tiny bendy unlit boreens with an 80 kmh limit near me. ridiculous.

a big long straight stretch of dual carriageway with a 50km/h or 60km/h limit is nothing more than a revenue generator. if you cant see that youre blind or Gay Byrne and his kind have you brainwashed :rolleyes:

You just suggest that the 80 limits be reduced to 60 or 38 mph....22mph less than they were before metrification and 12mph less than currently and you will hear UPROAR from residents who don't want the speed limit downgraded as their property would drop in value doe to the downgrade (ironic, but it's true)

You just suggest that the 80 limits be reduced to 60 or 38 mph....22mph less than they were before metrification and 12mph less than currently and you will hear UPROAR from residents who don't want the speed limit downgraded as their property would drop in value doe to the downgrade (ironic, but it's true)

i doubt it really. you could never drive at 30mph/50kmh even on these roads. they really are that bad.

Just because you feel agrieved that someone is prosecuted for breaking the law, doesn't mean they didn't.

Right or wrong that there's worse crimes not being detected, it's complete bull to say that doing 68 in a 60 zone isn't illegal

i doubt it really. you could never drive at 30mph/50kmh even on these roads. they really are that bad.

While I'll contradict myself in the following I'll say it anyway.

You should (in good conditions, night or day) proceed at or close to the limit on a main road....(i.e. it severly p1sses me off when people do 80 in 100 zones because it's single carriageway. or brake just because there's a truck coming the other way on a main road)

You don't HAVE to drive at 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 or even 30kmh(though that is pushing it a little) on a boreen, even if that is the limit.

• Advertisement

Just because you feel agrieved that someone is prosecuted for breaking the law, doesn't mean they didn't.

Right or wrong that there's worse crimes not being detected, it's complete bull to say that doing 68 in a 60 zone isn't illegal

the worse crimes are not being detected because the cops are out hiding in bushes etc at this craic but why not too? its much safer than a drug bust :rolleyes:

i agree with you on the above though. brake tapping idiots doing 80km on single carriageway roads should be pulled cos they will cause accidents like dangerous overtaking. they are clearly incompetent drivers.

what angers me about the limits are the excessively slow ones where the cops camp out regularly. if you were so incapable of driving that you actually had to drive at these speeds you should not be driving at all IMO but thats where the moneys to be made unfortunately.

Advertisement