Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[rant] Break lights at traffic lights [/rant]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Try using your head for a change! if it looks like you will be sitting there for a while and the guy behind you has stopped safely behind you spare the guys eyes and rest that foot by applying the handbrake! Watch for the traffic in front moving off and release the handbrake to move off, its not rocket sience

And before any smartass gets in yes I know I spelt science wrong! stick to the subject OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 fast1

footbrake is more safer than the handbrake.

handbrake is only for when the car is parked.

what annoys me is people who dont use indicators! thats more of an issue.

as for the brake lights being annoying....jeez....they are there for you to see!! whats next? headlights are annoying at night too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The safest method in traffic, is of course all the brakes, and the people behind you putting up with the glare and knowing you're braking/stopped.

However practically, the handbrake should be used in traffic (if only one brake is being used), due to the reason of being shunted. While this brake does not hold the car as well, the chances of holding the footbrake in a collision are quite slim (handbrake 30% > no brake 0%), and you're chances of reacting quick enough to make a difference are virtually 0% (I'm sure there's a counterstrike player who has drank enough red bull and is twitchy enough to make up .00001%).

What usually happens is you get a mix, and people vary it depending if they're going to be sitting in traffic for a while (at a light), or moving small distances very often (slow moving traffic).

Either way, on the original point of the thread, for f*cks sake, what an anal thing to give out about, as people have said, you don't have to look, but from the sounds of it, you shouldn't be driving at all, but locked in an asylum plotting your revenge on the little things in the world that annoy you in as spectacular way as possible.

OK you have seen them but does that mean you have to have them in your face for the next 5 mins or how long it take traffic to move in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

DavidKay wrote: »
    OK you have seen them but does that mean you have to have them in your face for the next 5 mins or how long it take traffic to move in Dublin

You could just not stop your car right on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

DavidKay wrote: »
    Try using your head for a change! if it looks like you will be sitting there for a while and the guy behind you has stopped safely behind you spare the guys eyes and rest that foot by applying the handbrake! Watch for the traffic in front moving off and release the handbrake to move off, its not rocket sience

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I have more evidence than you do, i.e. someone I know who didn't plow into traffic because he used his handbrake.

They're still better than nothing, which is what will happen if you let go of the pedals.

Oh yes, because your life is going to end if you have to wait another couple of minutes at the lights. Double rolleyes for you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OOOOOOOOO You know someone? Thats factual evidence is it? Factual evidence is that the H/B only applies 30% of your possible braking. If you are awake at the lights then you should not have a problem keeping your foot on the brake. As I said, there was even a letter in the Irish Times about this last week. I myself have done an advanced driving course and the advice was to keep my foot on the brake. Obviously common sense should apply, if there are 10 stopped cars behind you applying the H/B would be ok. Every situation is different and as we all know nothing is perdictable on the roads.

As for people holding me up at the lights, no my life won't end but it is highly ignorant to force others to wait when there is a perfectly good green light allowing you to go. If your not awake then you should'nt be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I drive an automatic and would usually keep my foot on the brake pedal. I think this is safer than putting it in Park as if hit from behind the wheels do not turn and therefore it would cause more damage to both vehicles as the energy will not be diapated as quickly.

dak wrote: »
    I drive an automatic and would usually keep my foot on the brake pedal. I think this is safer than putting it in Park as if hit from behind the wheels do not turn and therefore it would cause more damage to both vehicles as the energy will not be diapated as quickly.

Another good point. I drove an auto in the states for 6 months and would never put the car in park in traffic. Keeping the foot on the brake also ensured I can move off in good time when the traffic moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

astraboy wrote: »
    Factual evidence is that the H/B only applies 30% of your possible braking.
    No matter how many times you say that (at least three times now - we know already!), the fact is nobody knows if you'll be able to keep your foot on the pedal in the event of a collision.
    If you are awake at the lights then you should not have a problem keeping your foot on the brake.
    It's not just a matter of being awake or being aware - how do you know you will be able to do that when you've just been struck from behind with such force? You said yourself you won't be able to predict what will happen - yet you predict you'll be able to use your footbrake?

I never said what I heard from someone's personal experience is proof, but you have no evidence to back your point that what you're saying works.

I'd rather trust the 100% chance my handbrake will be on than the completely unkown chance that my footbrake will be on in the event of being rear-ended. (Yes there's a chance of mechanical failure in either case, but let's not go there)
    As I said, there was even a letter in the Irish Times about this last week.
    I don't know the specifics of what happened to this person. For all I know he made up the whole thing.
    As for people holding me up at the lights, no my life won't end but it is highly ignorant to force others to wait when there is a perfectly good green light allowing you to go. If your not awake then you should'nt be on the road.
    In your previous reply you were pretty much suggesting this is more important than safety.

I don't know what's the best for autos - never used them myself. Putting it in park definately doesn't sound like a good option though.

And regarding the original issue, I also don't care. Improper use of fog lights and full beams is much more of an issue, as they can hinder one's ability to see while driving.

No matter how many times you say that (at least three times now - we know already!), the fact is nobody knows if you'll be able to keep your foot on the pedal in the event of a collision.

It's not just a matter of being awake or being aware - how do you know you will be able to do that when you've just been struck from behind with such force? You said yourself you won't be able to predict what will happen - yet you predict you'll be able to use your footbrake?

I never said what I heard from someone's personal experience is proof, but you have no evidence to back your point that what you're saying works.

I'd rather trust the 100% chance my handbrake will be on than the completely unkown chance that my footbrake will be on in the event of being rear-ended. (Yes there's a chance of mechanical failure in either case, but let's not go there)

I don't know the specifics of what happened to this person. For all I know he made up the whole thing.

In your previous reply you were pretty much suggesting this is more important than safety.

I don't know what's the best for autos - never used them myself. Putting it in park definately doesn't sound like a good option though.

And regarding the original issue, I also don't care. Improper use of fog lights and full beams is much more of an issue, as they can hinder one's ability to see while driving.

Ok, we're nitpicking here. But I have been told by an advanced driving instructor to keep the brakes on at the lights. You are only basing your views on your friends experiences, I countered that with the letter in the times and the response from the motoring correspondent also said it is often recommended to keep your foot on the brakes at lights. It is not really a huge issue anyway my main problem is people not moving away from the lights in good time as I previously said. I NEVER said this was more important then safety, but I reckon if someone is not paying attention to the lights, what else are they oblivious to? An unaware driver is dangerous, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

astraboy wrote: »
    You are only basing your views on your friends experiences...
    I'm not just basing my views on that - also from driving instructors and other people, and the fact the driving test pretty much forces you to use the handbrake every time you stop for any period of time (their must be some reason for that).
    ...and the response from the motoring correspondent also said it is often recommended to keep your foot on the brakes at lights.
    Journalists have been known in the past to be idiots. Maybe he is basing this on research done in the US, where the majority of cars are automatics? I have never heard of anyone recommending that in the case of manual cars until this thread.

Nope, the journalist was basing his comments on the advice of the advanced driving instructors in Ireland! The ignition course recommends you keep your foot firmly on the brake until a "barrier" of traffic has built up behind. This is mainly for financial reasons, so in an accident you have a higher chance of reducing the damage to the car in front. Less of an impact mean less injuries too. Perhaps after a few cars have stopped behind you the better option would be to put on the handbrake. In constant start/stop traffic however I believe the brake is better, as I said every situation is different. Also, keeping the H/B and brakes on would be safest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Degsie, I agree 100%

I find it glaring sometimes at night, so when I'm stopped, if someone is behind me at the lights, I'll probably use the handbrake. I've often been using the brake and when someone has joined behind, changed to hand-brake to avoid lighting them up. It's called consideration - that's whats missing on the roads today. I'm pretty sure most people don't notice or care but at least I know I'm sparing them from my brake lights, which, are very, very bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

craichoe wrote: »
    Depends on the car, but the majority do not brake on the back.

A. Its usually drums on the back anyway.

B. Braking is always at the front due as all the weight us pushed forward and down when your stopping.

Handbrake should only be used for Parking and Hillstarts IMO

My instructor gets me to put on the handbrake whenever I am stopped at traffic lights? I haven't got a great eye for when I'm on a slope either so I'd probably use it anyway to stop me going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on how hard you're hit, doesn't it? If someone flies into the back of you at, say, 50km/h then your foot may well fly off the footbrake. Most rear end impacts happen at far lower speeds though, in which case the footbrake is clearly safer than the handbrake alone. Safest is, of course, to use both. To suggest using only the handbrake, though, is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

At traffic lights I use handbrake and clutch, didn't know I was meant to put my feet on the footbrakes as well, I only know what my instructor has told me

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

LuckyStar wrote: »
    At traffic lights I use handbrake and clutch, didn't know I was meant to put my feet on the footbrakes as well, I only know what my instructor has told me
    Sorry, I didn't aim that personally at you! As we all know, there is no shortage of people who do that. You would be safer, though, if you used your foodbrake at least until a few cars have come to a halt behind you.

Advertisement