Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mpg going to the dogs.

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have had a 00 Corsa b for about 6 months now and put about 3500 miles on it in that time. I am noticing that a full tank is doing much less than it used to a few months ago and im getting less mileage per tank.

I read somewhere that a few things can be replaced but i cant remember what. Any help would be great as petrol isn't getting any cheaper.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

When was the car last serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Check airflow sensors!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Check your tyre pressures are all correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I had similar problem with my golf gti couple of months back, in my case was down to air mass meter/O2 sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

First check if theres a leak in the fuel tank

Then you can go checking stuff like the Airfilter, airflow meter etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey,
    thanks for the replys. All my tires are inflated to the correct psi. No leaks in the tank ider.
    Its been a while since it was serviced ide say, its due at 67k miles so ive another 2k to go before that.
    How would i go about checking the air mass metre, O2 senson and airflow meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Mine was serviced last week, and since then the average MPG has dropped 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's not unusual for fuel economy to be worse in the winter - it's colder so your engine is taking longer to get to normal (i.e. efficient) operating temperature, and you're probably using your lights, rear window heater, etc. more. How much worse is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Dr. Millah : What mileage has the car done and is the service record more or less ok ? Could be that it's getting a bit more inefficient as it's ageing. If not you should see some improvement with a full service ( oil and all filters ) and maybe a check on the combustion system would do no harm either ( sensors, injectors etc, if any of them doesn't function 100% it has efficiency implications ). All in all it shouldn't cost you the earth to get it checked out given that your mpg could jump up a good bit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

I think i might just get her serviced soon. It was due to be serviced in aug or else at 67k.
    How much could fans and rear window heater effect it? And the lights?
    Also, possibly a stupid question but i am unsure of the answer. If the lights run off the battery is it petrol which effects the charging of the battery and in turn powering the lights?

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lights, demister, heater shouldn't have that drastic effect on fuel consumption.

As well as the suggestions above, you should probably change the spark plugs and the air filter.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement