Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLI and twin monitors

Options
  • 06-12-2007 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Folks

I have two monitors currently connected to an 8800GTS and run them as extended desktop.

Someone somehwhere had suggested to me that if I move to SLI, ( I'm considering 2 x 8800GT ) I won't be able to run 2 monitors from an SLI configured system ?

Surely this isn't true !!!???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, you'll have to assign each one a monitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Sli Currently does not support multiple displays....would love to be proved wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Ah lads !, two conflicting answers !!!

Which one is right, or are they both right ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think they're both right. Sli is where two graphics cards are working to produce one image. If you assign each graphics card a separate monitor the graphics cards are not working on the same image, they will be working on two different images. They two graphics cards will be running independently of each other. I don't know if that makes much sense.

If running sli you can only use one monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If running sli you can only use one monitor.

dead on. It says that in the sli option part of nivida control panel!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

You cannot run sli on two monitors, only on one, you have to disable sli on your nvidia control panel to run two monitors.
    Its just the way it is I'm afraid :)

WillieDH wrote: »
    Ah lads !, two conflicting answers !!!

Which one is right, or are they both right ?

No, they're the same answer. You can't run Dual monitors on sli, you have to run as two separate cards. You could try adding a third non-nvidia card for dual monitor

Read here

So If I stick a 3rd PCI graphics card in a spare slot I can output to a second monitor with the two SLI cards feeding the primary display for games !

OH YEAH !!!, now I like the sound of that !

Thanks Lads

Yes, exactly. It has to be non-Nvidia for it to work though if you want to keep the cards in Sli...

I read somewhere that Vista doesn't support two different WDDM drivers at once, nor does it support WDDM and GDI drivers simultaneously. So in this case, adding a third card from another manufacturer would probably disable Aero or the third card would just not work.

I've no idea if you have Vista or not but just thought I'd mention this since it would be somewhat relevant.

• Advertisement

XP Pro here !!!

And will continue to be !!!!!!!

Advertisement