Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800GTS 640 mb to GT or GTX?

Options
  • 06-12-2007 10:44am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,the wife is asking what i want off the big man with white beard but i really cant think of anything.
    I recently got a new gaming rig and the only pressie i can think of is a better gfx card than the XFX 8800 640 mb i got with new rig.

I hear the 8800GT is better than GTS and also see that a few sites have lowered the price of the GTX because of the lack of 8800GT in stock.

Would it be worth changing from my current card to GT or GTX?
    Would i see much of a performance boost?

Current rig is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600,4gig OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400,Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,2X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2,Seasonic M12 700W, Antec nine hundred case,Vista ultimate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I reckon stick it out, unless you're running an exceptionally large monitor no game - bar Crysis - should be taxing your system right now. The GT is good but not good enough to warrant jumping from a GTS (at least, in my opinion), especially considering both the revised GTS about and the new line of cards next February....I'd just stick it out if I were you.

Though if you were being offered an essentially 'free' GTX then I'd probably just take it - another avenue to consider would be 2 more gigs of ram, even if you are using 32-bit OS you'll see 3.25, Vista is a ram hungry mofo and again, if it's free...:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah was thinking along the lines of what you advise Havok.
    Crysis is the only game i need to lower res down from 1650X1050 to keep fps above 60fps.
    I think ill take a look at whats out in Feb,thanks for that.
    I have 4 gig or ram at the moment btw,3.75 showing up with 32bit vista ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Another thought might be a sound card, like one of the high end X-Fi cards? Or new speakers if needed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Aye maybe a soundcard but onboard sound on this mobo really is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dcully wrote: »
    Aye maybe a soundcard but onboard sound on this mobo really is excellent.

Don't matter, You'll be suprised what a difference an x-fi makes & it takes the load off your cpu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With a good processor it would be negligible, the tax onboard puts on your cpu isn't really an issue anymore. I bought an X-Fi to replace onboard HD Audio and I noticed very, very little difference in either sound quality or performance

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

I think this is a silly thread. It is not a "free" graphics card if you other options! There is no point in paying an extra €250 for 5-10 frames. Seriously thats just shallow! I say that maybe you should look at other options for the same money such as a blu-ray drive, available on ebay-shops for €160 including delivery.. Maybe a set of Z-5500, available on Dabs for about €280. If online gaming is your thing look at a Bigfoot Killer Network card, expensive but excellent value for money. Hell, you could get a second monitor, a 206bw for €250..

I think that since your in the high end 8-series already, wait untill the 9 series or buy a second 8800gts and configure it in SLI!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Don't matter, You'll be suprised what a difference an x-fi makes & it takes the load off your cpu.

I'm surprised at how little difference it makes, and for someone with a quadcore it's verging on pointless. I'm back to onboard sound now and am loving the lack of creative spamware, biggest difference in sound I noticed was moving from xp to vista. Vista's sound stack is awesome and really makes a difference.

Advertisement