Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you Brazilian wax.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

On the taste issue, agree that there wouldn't be any difference between hair/no hair as if you'e doing it correctly, you won't be in places where hair grows. Think it might be more of a "flossing" issue than taste. And women get the very same flossing experience travelling south on men.

I once rather unexpectedly had that flossing issue with a nipple. It made for a slightly awkward 15 seconds or so as both of use tried to figure out how to react. As it was a good friend and it was an spur of the moment, one-off semi-drunken event and I realised that she wouldn't have expected to have to "tidy up" (for want of a better expression) before heading to the pub that night, I just laughed. Thankfully she did too. :)

Anyway, I digress, back to the issue at hand. No guy has any right to expect a woman to engage in a spot of "gardening" purely for their benefit. If the woman wishes to have it all removed for her own edification, then so be it, it's her choice. Similarly something resembling Cousin It is entirely the woman's choice. For any guys that have a problem with either, all I can say is either get over it or tell her goodbye, because nobody should have to put up with someone as shallow as you are.

That said, a bit of grooming is appreciated. By both sexes I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Zaph wrote: »
    That said, a bit of grooming is appreciated. By both sexes I'd imagine.

Agree with this.

That poor girl with the nipple floss! **cringe** :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Righto. Caught a comment on the Brazilian thread but I didn't want to hijack it and get right off topic but it's an issue that really needs addressing. The comment I'm referring to is this which relates to a Brazilian wax:

And apart from it being a comment like that says to me that a man talks more than the action he's alluding to, it's a belief that is instilling truths in women that have no factual basis and is also spurring them on to do things they don't want to do to their bodies and that's not okay.

Firstly, and really importantly, vaginas are meant to have hair. You think we just grow there for fun and, in the above case, derision? As someone who has waxed a lot of female and male pubic hair in her time, Brazilians are a recent trend and a fashion encouraged by magazines. Unfortunately, men are starting to believe the drivel they peddle in that by not waxing down there that you are somehow not a real woman, that it's better for you or that you don't care about yourself. For women who actually pay attention to what men believe is true, are then made to feel that what they have is inadequate or wrong.

There is nothing wrong with a bold, hairy bush. If a woman wants to tend to her garden or leave it run rampant, that's her choice, not yours. Sure no one's telling you to run off and get your naddies waxed, are they?

The majority of my clientele, except for those who have hair removed for the purposes of occupation (ie. gymnasts, cyclists, swimmers, dancers etc) only know about this procedure via the promotion of it in the media. When I ask them why they want one the answer is nearly always the same - either "My man likes it..." or "..they say sex is sooo much better..."

If the latter is true for you then I'd wager you're having rotten sex to begin with or, more likely, you're not having sex at all.

Waxing all of the hair off the vagina is actually a health risk. Pubic hair has several functions that actually serve to protect our wonderful bodies. So if you think a vagina is gross looking in its wild and woolly abandon then I should perhaps suggest that you go forth and bat for the other team. If not, get creative. A touch of imaginative topiary arranging can do wonders for the inquisitive.

And there's the imagined smell factor. Dare I say it, but education seems to be the key element missing for some, is that for women who practice regular hygiene smell, sweat and taste sensations are not an issue for those who have hair. If truth be known, it's the baldies that are likely to succumb to a few florid whiffs and a little tartness on the palate due to the fact that bacteria runs rampant on, shall we say, a featureless landscape.

So. Perhaps next time you dive, you might ensure that your partner has had a bath that month. No doubt this will ensure that further disparaging comments about our brilliant vaginas are set aside for something a little more enlightening.

And are you also against a woman waxing/shaving her legs/underarms etc to look more attractive?

I don't know of any man who would "make" his gf do anything to her body she didn't want. But in the end, most men prefer a brazillian/hollywood.

And before you ask, I keep it tidy, and if a girl wanted me to remove it all, I would at least try it for her.

The way I see it, it's my body, her toy (and vice versa). If I want my girlfriend to play with it, I should make is as appealing to her as possible. And again, if a girl wants me to play with hers, then it should be as appealing to me as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dragan wrote: »
    Take things serious much?

This post just smacks of personal abuse and you taking an off hand comment about a topic personally.

She's probably an Aussie - mad yokes altogether :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Her original post was edited after we spoke by pm which was after I wrote my post.
    Only the title was changed. The post was never aimed at anybody. It was pointed out to me that the title (which was initially written as a cheeky dig) deflected the message from the post which I agreed with. Apparently hijacking is okay hence the thread merge :)
    And are you also against a woman waxing/shaving her legs/underarms etc to look more attractive?
    In my view, a woman can look attractive with hair or without hair. This was the point of my post. If she chooses to take her hair off for any reason then that's her choice and hers alone. Same applies to a man. If he wants a back, sack and crack wax then that's up to him. My attraction to him is more about who he is than what is or isn't hanging below the waistline. Granted, a bit of grooming or lack of can assist a situation and if you strike a happy medium with your partner then that's great.
    I don't know of any man who would "make" his gf do anything to her body she didn't want. But in the end, most men prefer a brazillian/hollywood.

Gold. Thanks for cementing my point.
    Don't agree with men being into that look as possible fiddlers.

I hear this comment a lot from women and, to me, says more about how uncomfortable they are with the look/procedure than it does about men.
    would this no be true then for arm pit hair also then?

No. Armpit hair does not serve any physiological purpose other than to collect pheromones.

Pubic hair does. Unlike the armpit, the vagina is a self cleansing organ which constantly secretes providing lubrication, helps keep the vagina clean and maintains its acidity, which in turn helps to prevent some infections. Pubic hair also prevents bacteria from entering the vagina, prevents secretions travelling further along the body and assists in regulating temperature. The vagina is also odourless. Smells are caused by infection, bacteria or poor hygiene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Only the title was changed. The post was never aimed at anybody. It was pointed out to me that the title (which was initially written as a cheeky dig) deflected the message from the post which I agreed with. Apparently hijacking is okay hence the thread merge :)

In my view, a woman can look attractive with hair or without hair. This was the point of my post. If she chooses to take her hair off for any reason then that's her choice and hers alone. Same applies to a man. If he wants a back, sack and crack wax then that's up to him. My attraction to him is more about who he is than what is or isn't hanging below the waistline. Granted, a bit of grooming or lack of can assist a situation and if you strike a happy medium with your partner then that's great.

Gold. Thanks for cementing my point.

I hear this comment a lot from women and, to me, says more about how uncomfortable they are with the look/procedure than it does about men.

No. Armpit hair does not serve any physiological purpose other than to collect pheromones.

Pubic hair does. Unlike the armpit, the vagina is a self cleansing organ which constantly secretes providing lubrication, helps keep the vagina clean and maintains its acidity, which in turn helps to prevent some infections. Pubic hair also prevents bacteria from entering the vagina, prevents secretions travelling further along the body and assists in regulating temperature. The vagina is also odourless. Smells are caused by infection, bacteria or poor hygiene.

Very well put BB, the expectation of a hairless woman is very pervasive in modern society, to the extent that a more natural look is considered unfeminine. Which is, of course ridiculous.

That said, nearly every woman I know, including myself, goes to extreme lenghts to maintain the almost body hair free look..........and as you say, it says volumes about our attitudes to ourselves.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

What volumes does it speak about our attitudes to ourselves?

Beautybeanie, I also don't understand your point with regards your answer to my previous comment about men that are in to a clearer south pole not being fiddlers. Please elaborate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I havn't read every post in this thread (who has!?), just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I thought the post about 2 pages back from the Australian cailin (correct me if I'm wrong) made alot of sense. I agreed with most everything she said.

If a cailin wants to have a Brazilian or a Hollywood or whatever then it is up to them. I do not agree with a girl coming in saying she is doing it cos the boyfriend wants it or whatever.

Myself and my better half were on hols recently in Spain and the usual pre-holiday chat about waxing down there happened. She normally gets the bikini job, leaving hair on the vagina, bum and above. We talked about trying the Brazilian seeing as 'she was getting it done anyway'. I'm glad to report she decided to have it done and she tells me it was a doddle in terms of pain. I was amazed, yee women and pain tolerance amaze me (we have a 2 yr old too).

I'm glad to say I found the Brazilian to be amazing looking, it really changed the landscape down there so to speak. She was v happy too, she said it made her feel sexier. Can't say it made any difference in the sex dept, that has always been great.

Bottom line (no pun intended). If she wants to do it then go for it but no pressure from the lads thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

LadyE wrote: »
    Thanks a mil - I didnt get a chance to ring them yet..sorry! But Ill hold off to see how you got on :D
    Big thumbs up!. they hsve some of the original people in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I really don't understand people saying how sore a brazilian is! The pain is minimal. However, according to the girl who did mine today I'm an exception. Apparently some people scream the house down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

GinnyJo wrote: »
    Big thumbs up!. they hsve some of the original people in there too.

Thanks a mil! Will book an appointment later! Anyone who you can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

janeybabe wrote: »
    I really don't understand people saying how sore a brazilian is! The pain is minimal. However, according to the girl who did mine today I'm an exception. Apparently some people scream the house down!

Pain is different for everyone, might be minimal for you. I'd be the same as yourself, I've even been told by my dentist that I've a very high pain threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

know what the worst bit is? deciding you;re not arsed maintaining it, and letting it go back natural(ish), and the slooooooooow regrowth time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cathooo wrote: »
    Pain is different for everyone, might be minimal for you. I'd be the same as yourself, I've even been told by my dentist that I've a very high pain threshold.

Yup and a lot of people are put off by the stories they hear about the pain and don't get it done, which is a pity as they might not feel the pain.

LadyE wrote: »
    Thanks a mil! Will book an appointment later! Anyone who you can recommend?
    Clear out your Pms...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

I was talking to a friend about waxing a we wondered did most ladies go in for brazilian waxes. Im running a poll on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

all off. no point in going half way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Can I just state this quote for those who get the Full Hollywood.

"While I'm down there it might be nice to see a hint of pubis. I'm not talking about a huge 70's Playboy bush or anything. Just something that reminds me that I'm performing cunnilingus on an adult." Hank Moody, Californication.

Thank you all.

BTW, The between Bikini and Brazilian is my favourite. Not too much, yet I know they are of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Meh,

Started with the Californian a few years ago, then said fcuk it i'll try the brazilian, Next time i got the Extended Brazilian, next time Hollywood, pretty much have kept that since, except whilst seeing a guy who didn't like the 'bald' look.

Was seeing a guy recently who had never seen a Hollywood before...He was of a slightly older generation shall we say... thought twas lovely tho.....one of those random morning after night before conversations..... very funny!!

It's not that painful really, i think its more the notion of than anything else. Its the business tho.....SOOOOOOOOO much better all told;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

have the brazillian myself. too afraid to go the "whole hog" so to speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trixie11

would love to have it all off but lacking the courage and confidence to get it done professionally. can anyone recommend a good place in galway for it?
    dont mind the waxing at all...do bikini line myself and sometimes a bit more but takes way to much time and effort
    also how often would you and can you keep doing it? ive had legs waxed in salon before..once i got turned away right before a holiday cos girl said hairs were too short even though hadnt touched them for 3 weeks in preparation...so was kinda annoyed with that.

Hi can i ask anyone thats had one how far under to they go when doing a brazilian wax. I know it's the bikini area etc but do you have hair still around your "V" if you know what i mean? They obviously don't wax all of it off do they? do they wax right in around the ahem "holes" sorry this is crude but no other way to explain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

jellybeans wrote: »
    They obviously don't wax all of it off do they?

yeah, that's the point... if you go for a Hollywood, which is all off, they wax EVERYWHERE, including around all the 'holes'. Brazilian usually leaves a small strip just above the labia, but the labia are waxed too...

really oh ok so you you have to go in starkers then?? Im getting laser and amn't sure how close to go in. i've always waxed my bikini line as in around my knicker line but have never gone for anything more. I want to consider my options so to speak. Ive haven't eally worried too much about underneth, so they go right up to your ass? Id find that a bit scarlet I have to say :o not sure if I could even get the razor up there in preparation for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

jellybeans wrote: »
    really oh ok so you you have to go in starkers then?? Im getting laser and amn't sure how close to go in. i've always waxed my bikini line as in around my knicker line but have never gone for anything more. I want to consider my options so to speak. Ive haven't eally worried too much about underneth, so they go right up to your ass? Id find that a bit scarlet I have to say :o not sure if I could even get the razor up there in preparation for it

Well you can keep your top on ;)

They don't go UP your ass, they just wax the bits around it... and they won't go anywhere you don't want them to. Specify which bits you want done!

• Advertisement

ever waxer will tell you NOT to shave/trim yourself before an appointment, as you might take too much off to be waxed etc.
    Does the beauticians have a website?
    I know Brazilia have a FAQ for customers on theirs.
    *edit* here you go :http://www.brazilia.ie/femalefaq.html

no it's in preparation for laser treatment I have to shave not for waxing. I've decided Im gonna go for a High bikini line and a tidy up around the "V" and "A" ! that should do it! so would there be still some hair around the ass etc

Merged with the main waxing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I'll say it: I don't like to spend money. But when it comes to the upkeep of my nether regions, I will absolutely pay to have a professional do my brazilian!!!

I started out shaving years ago (I danced growing up and had to wear leotards and tights) and wish that someone had told me that there was a better way. I first got a bikini wax because I was curious, and upgraded to a brazilian. Even though I don't get it done religiously, I try to go when I can. It's not THAT expensive - and it's nice to only have to worry about it once every 4-6 weeks than having to worry about the stubble from a razor every few days, not to mention the razor burn.

As for the pain -- well -- it's not a walk in the park, but then again, I've been known to text people while I'm on the table. It shouldn't take more than half an hour. And just tell the aesthetician how much hair to leave on if you want a little more than a strip - you're paying her to landscape your "lady garden", so it should look exactly how you want! (And seeing as how my OH is happy however he gets it, his opinion isn't the of utmost importance in this instance.)

Kudos to those who self-wax, though. I completely understand the do-it-yourself mentality, but I just picture myself fumbling with a mirror and wax strips and worrying about whether or not the wax is too hot, or what if I don't pull hard enough, and which direction I'm supposed to pull the strips, and did I make sure to get it all between the front and back door? . . .

Madness.

SeekUp wrote: »
    tell the aesthetician

The what??? Surely that's not a real word, or is it just a case of someone bigging up their job title? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

SeekUp wrote: »
    the aesthetician
    QUOTE]

aesthetician?? when did they stop being beauticians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

The waxer woman(/man???) -- I think that might also include people who can perform facials, manicures, pedicures, etc., not just waxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Sorry to drag up this thread...
    Just a question that probably has been answered, but I probably missed it going through all the pages!

After a waxing, how long (on average) after does the hair stay away?
    Also, how long is it red for?

Thanks gals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Malteaser! wrote: »
    I've used Immac on my bikini lilne before and oh god what a disaster that was. Tiny little bloodspots in every bloody pore. In fairness though it was my own fault, the canister does say you shouldn't put it near the bikini line and I did it anyway. My razor was too blunt to use!

Are you sure thats not because you hadn't left it a few days after shaving? I shaved my legs once, forgot to leave 72 hours before using the immac and ****ing hell, it stung and blood all over te gaff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Cleeo wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up this thread...
    Just a question that probably has been answered, but I probably missed it going through all the pages!

After a waxing, how long (on average) after does the hair stay away?
    Also, how long is it red for?

Thanks gals!

The hair usually starts to grow back after a couple of weeks but at least its still very very short for at least 4 weeks and if I get a hollywood wax say early in the day then the redness has gone by that nite and I would have sensitive skin. Once you keep getting waxed the hair takes longer and longer to grow back. I can't recommend hollywood waxes enough and Brazilia are probably the best. I've tried others and have ended up with blotchy skin and bumps...yeeeuuuccckk. Not pretty. Defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭uniqueusername

hi guys, any salons you can hand on heart recommend??

for a hollywood wax especially, seems really hard to find one in dublin that will remove every bit of hair, esp around the ass, and that wont leave you looking like a bloody mess. have a few horror stories to tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Immac is muck!! Ugh I hate the stuff. It smells disgusting and it doesn't work. It may be useful for very fair haired people but personally, I think it's a load of junk!

Waxing FTW!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Immac is muck!! Ugh I hate the stuff. It smells disgusting and it doesn't work. It may be useful for very fair haired people but personally, I think it's a load of junk!

Waxing FTW!! :D

And you get fantastic burns from the stuff if you leave it on too long! Can't stand it either :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Hey... I'm a lil confused!! There's lotsa different types of waxes available right?! A lotta people here are mentioning Bikini waxing... Brazillian waxes are different though... Aren't they??? :confused: Now I dunno what's what!! :o

Bikini:

http://www.techdigest.tv/myleene-klass-bikini.JPG

Brazilian:

http://www.leeabbamonte.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ronaldinho.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bubbles McGinty

watna wrote: »
    I used to get them every 4 weeks for about a year. It was great. I felt much better about myself, even though noone really saw it except my other half. When i started saving to go away it was one of the things that got cut. It saves me €60 I miss it though! When I'm away and not saving I'll go for it again. It wasn't too painful, in the grand scheme of things!

I started when I was travelling in NZ and after the first one I had to do it myself. That was three years ago and I never looked back. Nair do a great salon wax-melt wax in MW and then peel off skin, not strips. It actually isn't that painful and with time it just gets easier!! I think its about €20 a tub, pretty decent seeing as you'll get at least three or four waxes out of a tub! I do my underarms that way too. So quick. I would never shave again!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FairFilly

Full Hollywood sometimes done by myself or sometimes i pay to have it done professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Brazilian all the way. I have to say though, the beauticians here have NOTHING on the ones in the states. Its so fast and painfree.

Woo.. I just discovered a place only five mins from my house that does hot waxes :D

Pretty cool prices too, full leg and bikini wax for €45 :D
    My housemate went the day before yesterday and said they were brilliant!!

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

Cherryvega wrote: »
    And you get fantastic burns from the stuff if you leave it on too long! Can't stand it either :/

gotta disagree you need to try - immac in shower hair removal the one with the sponge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Ladies, I am considering submitting myself to the torture of having a Brazilian done.. I have been lucky in that I dont have issues with 'maintenance' if you know what I mean and this is purely for aestetics (sp?)...

Is it painful? Is there anyway of minimising the pain (assuming its painful)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Ladies, I am considering submitting myself to the torture of having a Brazilian done.. I have been lucky in that I dont have issues with 'maintenance' if you know what I mean and this is purely for aestetics (sp?)...

Is it painful? Is there anyway of minimising the pain (assuming its painful)....

Go mid-cycle, and take two paracetamol about twenty minutes before your appointment, and its really not too bad at all. It gets easier the more you have it done, so it's never going to be as bad as the first time again. Really, in professional hands, its not a terrible experience.

Like lots of things really...!

gotta disagree you need to try - immac in shower hair removal the one with the sponge

I've tried it and it's still krap. Just isn't effective at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭baglady

only ever get regular bikini waxes where you can keep your knickers on, but girls is it embarassing the 1st time you get a brazillian? I've heard awful things about the positions you have to get in so they can access all the necessary regions!! can anyone explain in depth how it goes? really appreciate it thanks so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

And can anyone recommend a good place to go to in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Can't beat Brazillia - definitely some other posts lurking around here recommending them....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement