Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Green Tax for motorists - threads merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C_Breeze the link you have is for everything currently on the roads up and until July 2008. All new car after that date will be rated on the new system while all cars registered before July 1 2008 will use the tradtional system. (I think!)

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

C_Breeze wrote: »
    what the heck is this?????? I though it was based on Co2 not engine sizes anymore.

For a 1.9 for example it says there will be a 9.5% increase !! (€46) - how do they know this?????? surely not all 1.9 cars have exactly the same Co2 emissions?????

Now im completely confused :confused:

The VRT is based on CO2.

The Motor Tax is based on engine size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MitziAils

What does it mean if you buy a 1.6 car in January 08?
    Do you pay €453.00 and then have to pay new higher figure depending on your emissions from January 09 or is it only for new cars purchased in July 08?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Riskymove wrote: »
    those increases are just for the first six months of 2008

the new emmission based rates come in in July

Wrong.. the new increases in motor tax are for all existing vehicles in the state up until July 08. After that, any new vehicles purchased or new / second hand vehicles imported into the state will be governed by the new tax system based on co2 emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

IRLConor wrote: »
    The VRT is based on CO2.

The Motor Tax is based on engine size.

What??

I thought they are changing motor tax from engine size to be based on Co2 aswell ..

whats this about then????

Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
    Band B (121-140 grams perkm) - €150.
    Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
    Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
    Band E (171-190 grams per km) -€ 600.
    Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
    Band G, the top band -€2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C_Breeze read what I and lynchie above said.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lynchie wrote: »
    Wrong.. the new increases in motor tax are for all existing vehicles in the state up until July 08. After that, any new vehicles purchased or new / second hand vehicles imported into the state will be governed by the new tax system based on co2 emissions.

actually I was right...I was talking about new cars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

What??

Band G, the top band -€2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km.[/B]

I feel like vomiting. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Does this apply to commercial vehicles as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Wow, I'd be surprised if Honda ever sell another S2000 (my car) in this county again after July (tax goes from €530ish to €2000ish).

I would imagine the same for many japanese 2.0 turbos.

Sad day for affordable performance cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What??

I thought they are changing motor tax from engine size to be based on Co2 aswell ..

they are, but only for vehicles bought or imported after July 1st next year.

To simplify it:

All cars bought before July 1st next year (including all current cars on the road) will be charged the revised Motor Tax rates announced yesterday from February next year, which are still based on engine size, It looks like they'll pay motor tax at this rate even after July (presumably until the EOL of the vehicle)

All new/imported cars registered BEFORE July 2008 pay VRT under the current system.

All new/imported cars registered AFTER July 2008 pay VRT under new C02 emissions system.

All new/imported cars registered AFTER July 2008 pay Motor Tax based on the new emissions system.

mike65 wrote: »
    C_Breeze read what I and lynchie above said.

Mike.

Sorry mike , missed that.

Ok i think i get it now. Sorry to be thick about it .. im just trying to find out how much i will have to pay and when i will have to start paying it??!!!

any cahnce of some help .. its a mazda mx-3 V6 1845cc :o

Mayshine wrote: »
    Wow, I'd be surprised if Honda ever sell another S2000 (my car) in this county again after July (tax goes from €530ish to €2000ish).

Same with RX-8's .. which under C02 emissions would be taxed at €2,000 :eek: that's crazy .... along with rising oil / petrol prices and maitainance costs and insurance ... you can say goodbye to sports cars (unless seriosuly minted) and hello to diesels :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I just came across this thread and I must say thanks to everyone for all the info. Based on a link Ice Box put up my car and hubby's (same model and a year in age between them) come in at 165 which puts us in Band D. It won't mean any savings in motor tax- we were paying 391 each yearly-now goes up to either 428 or 430. What irritates me a bit is that he does about 10k miles per year and I do about 3.5k and I'll be paying the same as him!

phutyle wrote: »

To simplify it:

All cars bought before July 1st next year (including all current cars on the road) will be charged the revised Motor Tax rates announced yesterday from February next year, which are still based on engine size, It looks like they'll pay motor tax at this rate even after July (presumably until the EOL of the vehicle)

All new/imported cars registered BEFORE July 2008 pay VRT under the current system.

All new/imported cars registered AFTER July 2008 pay VRT under new C02 emissions system.

All new/imported cars registered AFTER July 2008 pay Motor Tax based on the new emissions system.

Excellent thanks a lot!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A lot of confusion here I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It will indeed. The Golf GTI for example is 189g/km, meaning it just about sneaks into the €600 per annum road tax, so much the same as the current system. Another couple of grams, and it would be a grand! I believe the Focus ST and Astra OPC would fall into that category.

ST already costs c. €900 to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

To simplify it:

So let's say tomororw I bring in a 2003 320d. I tax and VRT it.
    Then in August 2008 my neighbour brings in a 2003 320d. He taxes and VRT's it. He's going to be paying different motor tax and VRT rates than me? That's crazy. I'd be paying double the motor tax for the EXACT same car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

Mayshine wrote: »

Agreed , although look at it this way , there is gonna be a big market for pre-2008 turbo imports etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Mailman wrote: »
    Aygo, C1, and 107 look like great value.
    VRT on them will go down.
    Motor Tax will go down
    and they always ran on a sniff of petrol.

I'm already driving an Aygo.. does this mean that mine will go down to €100 a year from July?

Or is it a case that because I already own the car (Its a 06) that I'm stuck on the old VRT rate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

From www.motortax.ie The most up to date info they have is 2004 but will the same trends apply???

Taxi - Flat rate per year.
    Government vehicles - exempt
    Commercial SUV???

Has anyone found a clear definitive document outlining all the changes planned? I have read the thread and followed the links but has the official document been published yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

To simplify it:

Phew ! So if you own a car registered before July 2008 you do not pay new emissions based tax?

MarkN wrote: »
    Phew ! So if you own a car registered before July 2008 you do not pay new emissions based tax?

No.
    you will just pay the new increased roadtax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hottstuff wrote: »
    Agreed , although look at it this way , there is gonna be a big market for pre-2008 turbo imports etc.

Careful - even pre-08 imports, imported after July 08, will be chargeable under the emissions rules. So an 01 Audi TT 225 will now cost you 2k p.a. to tax.

Which is twice what my 968 now costs - who'd have thought ?!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Careful - even pre-08 imports, imported after July 08, will be chargeable under the emissions rules. So an 01 Audi TT 225 will now cost you 2k p.a. to tax.

Which is twice what my 968 now costs - who'd have thought ?!

Of course , but if registered before july 2008 , it will be bargain hunters dream come true even at a reasonable high price to the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

These are the published rates for Motortax - nothing to do with VRT - this seems to be confusing a few people. VRT is applied only when you register a car and get your number plates. Done by the dealer when bought new or by the individual when you import. It is a one time tax.

Motortax 2008

Lets all go buy commercial Mercedes ML, LandRover Discoveries, BMW X5 etc etc - annual road tax €273

MarkN wrote: »
    No, I thought that too. It's ONLY on new cars you buy from next July.

No it applies to ALL imports after July 2008 , not just NEW imports!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

oh!

I just realized the new Tax rates are only for cars registered post 07/08?

That means pre 08 high emissions cars may actually go up in value ! and therefore hang around longer as people try to keep high performance cars on the low(er) tax band.

Its still a silly idea - Ireland does not have the clout to make the slightest bit of difference to the car makers - we'll all just end up driving small diesels ( they cause their own problems with pollution )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Gormley wrote:
    I should make it clear that these new measures apply to new cars and newly imported cars only with effect from 1st July 2008 and that cars registered before that date will continue to be taxed in future years under the existing system relating to cubic capacity engine sizes
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/gormley_delivers_carbon_budget

Buy your high-emissions / low engine capacity turbo now and save on tax in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I drive an LS400 but only do < 5000 miles a year [ cycle or train to work ] ... but the guy who drives 40000 miles in a year pays less ... so no its not particularly logical.

Some class of tax based on mileage might be useful.

Advertisement