Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell finance

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hello, hope this is the right place for this.
    I seen on dell.ie that there is a 24 month interest free option to pay for my new laptop, so i rang dell and after a few calls was approved for an amount up to 1500 euro. The laptop i ordered comes to 998 euro including vat. but when i was faxed the details i seen that the credit agreement was for 36 months at 22%. this works out at nearly 300 euro more that the 24 month interest free option. I rang the sales guy this morning and he told me that option wasn't available to me, saying something about not being approved for it (not 100% sure as i find it hard to understand him). Anyway i'm just wondering why i could be excluded from the intrest free option?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dell love sending email confirmations of everything. Can you ask whoever you were on to to send you and email stating the details of what you were offered, along with details of why the other offer doesnt apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Something in your credit history could be excluding you, or maybe you don't have one at all. It could just be an advertising exercise by Dell too, tell people of a 24 month interest free option, but only give them the 36 month with interest one and fob them off with some vague reasons.

At 22% interest, you'd be better off buying on a credit card. These kind of finance deals by shops are really designed for people who can't get credit or a loan (like all those mortgage ads for unemployed people that run on Nickelodeon all day long).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't do it. Dell's finance options are operated by a company called CIT Group Finance, and they're the most disorganised, useless bunch of muppets it's ever been my displeasure to deal with. In particular, I've spent several months trying to get them to update a direct debit, and despite two registered letters, two faxes and several phone calls, I was never able to sort it out. Ended up clearing it this week just to avoid dealing with them again.

You'd be better off with your local credit union or the like.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Thank for the advice. I'll try ring them once more to sort it out, and I'll cancel the order if I don't get the interest free option. Do dell have a call center in limerick? I'd like to talk to an Irish person to sort this out as I find it hard to get my point across to anybody i have talked to so far. Its as much as a problem for them to understand me, as for me to understand them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dell don't run their own finance operation, as I mentioned. You'll need to talk to CIT Group Finance on 01 279 6250. They're very polite, and very incompetent. I'd strongly recommend recording the call if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

I'll cancel the order if I don't get the interest free option.
    Would that constitute a contract, you asking and they approving you for the original deal, not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

Would that constitute a contract, you asking and they approving you for the original deal, not sure

I have 10 days to cancel the credit agreement.
    dahamsta wrote:
    Dell don't run their own finance operation, as I mentioned. You'll need to talk to CIT Group Finance on 01 279 6250. They're very polite, and very incompetent. I'd strongly recommend recording the call if you can.

Thanks for the info, I'll ring them in the morning and i'll record the call if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

I've just had a very simialr experience..here's an edite version of what I posted in my thread. After seeing this thread, MAYBE it is just a marketing spin from Dell................

So as a self-employed person I decided to take an interest free offer from the biggest PC manufacturer in Ireland.

1 week went by without an answer. I finally called them and they told me I had been declined. By the way, we're talking about a sum of €78 / month.........

When I queried why, they said they are not told why but that the one reason may be that I am not on the Electoral Register!

I informed him that as a Non-National I am not allowed to Vote...his answer "oh, that's it then".

I have my own home, car, credit card paid off 100% every month. My food bill is probably 2.5 times that / month and yet I am decline for a sum that most people spend at the pub on a week-end night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 goldi

I've also had an experience with dell finance.

I saw the ad on dell website last week for no interest finance s I thought "I can live with that" and applied. Got an email confirmation of order saying I would hear back from finance within 48 hours. After 72 hours I rang them. Got an apology and assurance that I would hear something within next 24 hours. Nothing. Sent an email 3 days letter to customer service which was never acknowledged or replied to. Rang again yesterday and was told I would definitley have lease documents by email before close of business yesterday. Nothing. Rang this morning and was told it takes 3-5 working days to process applications - I told them its been 9 days. They tried to tell me there was a delay as they hadnt had all of my information but they have it now. I told them that would be difficult as no one had been in touch with me at all, never mind to look for more info. She apologised and said I would hear something by tomorrow evening. I wont hold my breath and to be honest when they do eventually send me the lease docs I'm going to tell them to stick them - I'm going to PC World!

Advertisement