Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] Three Services Update

• 06-12-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Right I have read all the bad press etc. and am considering giving them a chance I am currently with Vodafone and am thinking of moving over and getting the Nokia 6120.

Can anyone confirm as of today 6/12/07 what works on three i.e. is POP email working again, Can you stream radio stations, is it possible to use your phone as a modem with a laptop does the Skype calls actually work or is it just a gimmick.

Any information at all is much appreciated.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Still can not stream radio stations that use RTSP streams, they disconnect after around 1 minute 40 seconds - brought this to the attention of 3 back in August and yet it still persists.

Pop was working for me using GMail servers but I've now changed to IMAP which also seems to work ok.

Can use your phone as a modem although it's not approved of by 3.

Skype works but only in 3G area - you'll have no text chat on your chosen phone as the client doesn't support that yet. Also if you have a Skype name that contains an underscore then expect to be making a new account.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My Skype id has a couple of underscores in it and I've had no problems with their Skype client.

You can use Skype chat if you install the Fring application, making Skype calls with Fring though will happen via a data connection which might cause issues with the call quality. The Three Skype client uses the regular GSM connection for making the actuall voice calls so the quality there is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

robinph wrote: »
    My Skype id has a couple of underscores in it and I've had no problems with their Skype client.

You can use Skype chat if you install the Fring application, making Skype calls with Fring though will happen via a data connection which might cause issues with the call quality. The Three Skype client uses the regular GSM connection for making the actuall voice calls so the quality there is not an issue.

Ah thanks for clearing that up for me robinph (regarding the skype client going over the regular gsm).I purchased a N95 on Three online but have yet to receive it.I took the 250mb mobile broadband option too so was hoping to use Fring over this to message using Skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Cheers for that guys think ill bite the bullet and give them a go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You will not be able to use the Three Skype client unless you are on the X-Series package. I cannot remember if Fring worked for me or not though when I was just on the basic mobile broadband package or not though.

• Advertisement

Serious? How much is this X-Series? I thought mobile broadband package = everything? Man there's hidden charges everywhere! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I've got mobile broadband 100 and have had no success in getting pop3 gmail working, or imap for that matter. This would be despite multiple and prolonged phone calls to their "technical" team which resulted in a claim that "it is not a service we support any more". To be honest i've given up trying to get them to resolve the issue and I have resorted to using consilient push to get my mail instead.

I shall be returning my yet to be delivered N95 to Three (14 day money back) if they try to limit which applications I use online.I'll be moving swiftly over to Vodafone.Can't believe this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

carbsy wrote: »
    Serious? How much is this X-Series? I thought mobile broadband package = everything? Man there's hidden charges everywhere! :mad:

Get X-series - it's the same price as unlimited mobile but everything works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Not everything - still can not stream third party RTSP streams for over a minute and forty seconds. Slingplayer doesn't work as often as it does.

• Advertisement

I've not been having any problems with Slingplayer recently. I have only been using it for about half an hour at a time or so though but the only issues have been when i forget that i'd left torrents running on my connection at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

carbsy wrote: »
    I shall be returning my yet to be delivered N95 to Three (14 day money back) if they try to limit which applications I use online.I'll be moving swiftly over to Vodafone.Can't believe this :(

why buy the €600 n95 off three when you can get the n95 8gb for less then that off vodafone and still use your 3 sim??

Get X-series - it's the same price as unlimited mobile but everything works.

Ah great jimmy , can I upgrade to this from the 250mb straight away even though I haven't even got home yet to open the parcel? ;)

allen175 wrote: »
    why buy the €600 n95 off three when you can get the n95 8gb for less then that off vodafone and still use your 3 sim??

I do most of my shopping online and the neither the N95 nor N95 8GB were/are on the Vodafone website.I paid 449 for it.With v20 firmware the N95 is a great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

Guys one last thing does Fring work ok with 3? ill be mainly using it as an IM

apollodjs wrote: »
    Guys one last thing does Fring work ok with 3? ill be mainly using it as an IM

I have used Fring for IM on 3. I got a bit confused as to which network I was using though once I'd set it up for multiple networks though, but it does work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

neilled wrote: »
    I've got mobile broadband 100 and have had no success in getting pop3 gmail working, or imap for that matter. This would be despite multiple and prolonged phone calls to their "technical" team which resulted in a claim that "it is not a service we support any more". To be honest i've given up trying to get them to resolve the issue and I have resorted to using consilient push to get my mail instead.
    I use the gmail app all the time and it works for me perfectly, I never signed up to any add on but see that I have mobile broadband activated (which never appears on my bill so I dont care)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Fring doesn't work for me on BB100, or a friend on X-Series Gold, but does for other ppl here

That's the biggest problem with 3 - the inconsistency from one person to another.

Right now the following work for me
    gmail app
    pop3
    opera mini
    google maps
    mobile weather
    most web pages

What doesn't work anymore since the "upgrades" in August
    fring
    imap
    S60 internet radio
    podcasts
    ssh

When it does work - 3 is great. When it doesn't it is the most frustrating network to deal with :(

I still can't get IMAP to work with GMAIL (which I want to use to email pictures that I've taken with the phone) on Three 250mb broadband addon.It works fine using WIFI on the phone which is very annoying.I use the GMAIL mobile client too but it doesn't support sending attachments.

They seem to be blocking the ports. hmmmmmm :confused:

You need to change your language settings in Gmail to English(US) in order to enable the IMAP settings.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    You need to change your language settings in Gmail to English(US) in order to enable the IMAP settings.

Just checked and it's set to English (US).I can use IMAP with GMAIL fine on the N95 using WIFI so it's deffo Three blocking something. :mad:

Advertisement