Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous atheists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I came across not a single one that killed in the name of atheism however there are many that claimed to of killed because god told them to , in essence listing serial killer’s from your arguments point of view is an EPIC FAIL

Good don't doubt it for a second but that's not my point.

But you only want cute and cuddly atheists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

CDfm wrote: »
    But you only want cute and cuddly atheists
    you still dont understand the argument :rolleyes:

you still dont understand the argument :rolleyes:

Was that the most prominent atheists in recent history have engaged in serial killing, genocide and weapons of mass destruction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Was that the most prominent atheists in recent history have engaged in serial killing, genocide and weapons of mass destruction ?

How about you try answering even one of the questions in post #95? When (and not if) you don't I'll take it that my point stands in post #98.

I am just wondering what your point is ?? Is it a case that you just don’t get sarcasm ??

firstly explain the whole Arab thing ?? Secondly are you trying to say it was a bad thing that Einstein helped win the war ???

I was getting into the whole atheists are evil bit.
    How about you try answering even one of the questions in post #95? When (and not if) you don't I'll take it that my point stands in post #98.

But CC I like my coffee hot and my atheists evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But CC I like my coffee hot and my atheists evil.

Does the concept of a good atheist disturb you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just ignore him, he's a troll. I reported a couple of his posts, hopefully he gets banned or a hobby, whichever comes first.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Does the concept of a good atheist disturb you?

No it doesn't -of course not. You have good and bad atheists in the same way you have good and bad believers. No real difference in my book.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Just ignore him, he's a troll. I reported a couple of his posts, hopefully he gets banned or a hobby, whichever comes first.

I prefer to think I have brought some balance even a bit of levity to the thread. Not all atheists are super intellgient Nobel Winning Scientists others have human failings like the rest of humanity and others are downright nasty pieces of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I prefer to think I have brought some balance even a bit of levity to the thread. Not all atheists are super intellgient Nobel Winning Scientists others have human failings like the rest of humanity and others are downright nasty pieces of work.

Really? Oh man, I didn't know that until you came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Have you heard of IRC CDfm?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Really? Oh man, I didn't know that until you came along.

Sorry I was being a bit of a smart arse.

DapperGent wrote: »
    Have you heard of IRC CDfm?

No - but if its amusing bring it on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CDfm, quit your trolling or you'll be taking a holiday.

This is the second thread today you've screwed with. Give it a rest. Seriously.

Move on, peeps. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Looks like we can add Mr. Pitt to our list. Mostly mentioned in Part 2 at around 1:25 to 4:00, but posting part 1 too for context. Comes across as a reasonably decent guy.

Part 1:

Part 2:

EDIT: would love to hear how a theist woman reconcile hell being the worst place ever AND contain Brad Pitt :)

We can also add Penn Jillette to our list. I think he is more well known in the states than here.

Here he is talking about Agnostic vs. Atheist:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

pts wrote: »
    We can also add Penn Jillette to our list. I think he is more well known in the states than here.

Here he is talking about Agnostic vs. Atheist:

Penn Jilette's an atheist? Gosh, really?

:D

David Baddiel is another that I was unaware of

david-baddiel_maryexperienc.jpg

Penn Jilette's an atheist? Gosh, really?

Either my sarcasm-meter is broken, or else there might be a smidgen of sarcasm in the last post.

Yes I know that he mightn't be a closet atheist, however I thought he was worth including in our list for completeness and because I liked parts of the posted video.

Either my sarcasm-meter is broken, or else there might be a smidgen of sarcasm in the last post.

Yes I know that he mightn't be a closet atheist, however I thought he was worth including in our list for completeness and because I liked parts of the posted video.

'pologies. I really like his scepticism videos, though.

I think Teller's an atheist, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

someone has gone ahead and compiled an entire website dedicated to A&A Celebs. Wonder if E! News will feature it?

http://www.celebatheists.com/?title=Main_Page

someone has gone ahead and compiled an entire website dedicated to A&A Celebs. Wonder if E! News will feature it?

For a second there I thought you were talking about celebate atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Look at all the legends on my side...........Charles Darwin, Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, Antonio Banderas, Monica Belluci, Uma Thurman, Sean Penn, Brad Pitt, Bob Hoskins and.............Keannu Reeves dammit!!!!!

Isn't that an oxymoron? remember without god one must be a sex craved monster that can't control ones urges :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Isn't that an oxymoron? remember without god one must be a sex craved monster that can't control ones urges :)
    I'll thank you not to provoke my insatiable lust.

That'd be A&A Celibs.

• Advertisement

That'd be A&A Celibs.

I feel stupid.

:D LOL

CC that was a classic. Most excellent.

Dades wrote: »
    I'll thank you not to provoke my insatiable lust.

now if there was only some kind of item of clothing with an appropriate drawing to illustrate this sentiment...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

We have Sir Ian McKellen. Sweet! :D

MrP

I feel stupid.

:( Sorry.

• Advertisement

:( Sorry.

It's okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Going by his latest stand up show, which was excellent btw, I think we can add in Dylan Moran to the list.
    Am I exaggerating or are a very high percentage of comedians atheist?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Going by his latest stand up show, which was excellent btw, I think we can add in Dylan Moran to the list.
    Am I exaggerating or are a very high percentage of comedians atheist?

I think there does seem to be a correlation between comedians and atheism. Mabye comedians are just used to laughing at outrages practices and couldn't see a reason not to do it in regards to religion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ShooterSF wrote: »
    are a very high percentage of comedians atheist?

I don't like that correlation, especially, when giving the correlation between suicide and comedians.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Malty_T wrote: »
    I don't like that correlation, especially, when giving the correlation between suicide and comedians.:(

Shame we can't make something up to help us feel better :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Hell, there's a correlation between education and atheism, but apparently it's a false one and the statistics lie somehow.
    No doubt it's the same with comedians. :rolleyes:

Speaking of comedians Billy Connolly, if he hasn't been mentioned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nevore wrote: »
    there's a correlation between education and atheism, but apparently it's a false one and the statistics lie somehow.
    Schools of religion aside, it does appear to be fairly well-attested that the longer that somebody spends in education, the more likely it is that they'll abandon their childhood religion.

The whole area, while interesting, is unfortunately, very controversial and it's frequently difficult to know exactly what's actually being measured in any of the stats that each side produce. The wiki page on religiosity and intelligence is as good an example as any of the general confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

robindch wrote: »
    Schools of religion aside, it does appear to be fairly well-attested that the longer that somebody spends in education, the more likely it is that they'll abandon their childhood religion.

The whole area, while interesting, is unfortunately, very controversial and it's frequently difficult to know exactly what's actually being measured in any of the stats that each side produce. The wiki page on religiosity and intelligence is as good an example as any of the general confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

As the great feynman once said:
    'Social Science is pseudo-science':P

All Hail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

pH wrote: »
    until then all that can be done is marvel how these brilliant men produced so much labouring under their God Delusion and wonder how much more they could have achieved if they'd been free of it.

How would they have been any better off? What worldview could they have had as a backdrop to their thinking if not Christianity?

Húrin wrote: »
    What worldview could they have had as a backdrop to their thinking if not Christianity?

Islam, maybe. You know it did come awful close to be predominant religion, and looks like it will achieve that goal in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Never mind celebs in general, but are there any Politicians who are atheists (besides the English Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg)?
    It`d be so refereshing to hear a Politician admit to being an atheist.

Never mind celebs in general, but are there any Politicians who are atheists (besides the English Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg)?
    It`d be so refereshing to hear a Politician admit to being an atheist.

Joe Higgins was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'd imagine there are a few in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Islam, maybe. You know it did come awful close to be predominant religion, and looks like it will achieve that goal in the near future.

Over my dead body!

Don't know if it's been said but everyone on the panel of HIGNFY, QI and Mock the Week including our own Dara O'Briain.

Stephen Fry is so funny when talking about religion.

FYI, just listening to the Moncrieff show on Newstalk and yer one Anna Nolan was on it. Think she was in Big Brother... used to be a nun prior to that... lesbian... some sort of TV presenter nowadays.

Anyways, she's an atheist now ! There ya go !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Has anyone mentioned Ricky Gervais yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

George Carlin? even if he wasnt, any excuse to post this, if you havent seen it, do, its amazing:

I hope we have mentioned the myth busters here...:)

Jonathon Ross = agnostic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dave! wrote: »
    Jonathon Ross = agnostic

lol yeah I remember he had Bono and The Edge on and they were talking ****e (as you do on Jonathon Woss ;)) and Bono abruptly asked "Are you a religious man?" To which Ross replied with "Not really", putting a stop to any long winded ****e talking Bono was about to embark on. :D

• Advertisement

As the great feynman once said:
    'Social Science is pseudo-science':P

All Hail!

I need to take this back, seriously, the more I've been reading some social science reports, the more I've realised the errors of my ways.
    Apologies to anyone involved in the fields of social sciences - besides by and large the social sciences tend to have the higher proportions of atheists.

Advertisement