Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurant in Cork city?

• 06-12-2007 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi there,
    Myself and my boyfriend are going to cork city for the weekend just before new years and are planning on going for dinner somewhere nice on the friday night, dress up a bit, go out after etc. I looked up a few places and was just wondering if anyone knows anything about them in terms of atmosphere, food quality etc. I found for italian food Casanovas, ristorante rossini and il padrino pasta pizza house. Anybody know anything about them? The other type would be indian taht we like, but i wasn't sure about any of them? Maybe somebody from cork city knows of a good one?
    Cheers for any help.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eibbatlove

stay away from the strasbourg goose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭NervousNude

Jacques just off Oliver Plunkett Street is delicious and pretty good value. It's small and romantic and does excellent food. Check it out on menupages.ie http://www.menupages.ie/Cork/Restaurants/Cork_City/Jacques_Restaurant.aspx

I went to Rossini's a few months ago and ended up with violent food poisoning. I know this is probably a once off but I wouldn't recommend it!

Other than that, Greenes on MacCurtain Street is nice but a bit lacking in atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Fenn's Quay is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was very impressed with Café Paradiso. To note! I'm a fully fledged, card carrying, t-shirt wearing meat eater, and it's first on my list again when I go back to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I've had nothing but good experiences with Rossinis, the food was top notch (spinach and ricotta canelloni most recently) and the atmosphere in there was great.

+1 for staying away from the Strasbourg Goose, after one disastrous meal we decided to go back as we'd heard great things about it, however, once again all we got was reheated muck.

Also, stay as far away from Zanzibaar as is physically possible, my last meal there wasn't even edible and I'm pretty sure the chicken was the packaged sandwich stuff. Nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

My favourite restaurant in Cork is Les Gourmandises on Cook St. - delicious French restaurant http://www.lesgourmandises.ie/ . I also like Jacobs - http://www.jacobsonthemall.com/ . Jacques has good food but atmosphere is not the best. And as a person who would normally never consider ordering a vegetarian dish, I have to reluctantly agree with olaola that Paradiso is top notch but there is a high risk that you could order something awful.

As for Indian restaurants... I'm not sure what is the best in the City Centre. I used to like the Indian Palace on Princes St. but last time I went there it was a bit disappointing. Other people have recommended Eastern Tandoori (across from Opera House) - I've been there two or three times but am still undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

If you like Indian theres a place called Eastern tandori beside the Opera House- amazing food and service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭vumpireofkid

according to an Indian friend of mine, the best, most authentic Indian restaurant in Cork is Little India on Washington St...I agree with Thumpette about the Eastern Palace tho, it's really good and the atmosphere there is great

Advertisement