Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Host for Drupal Site

Options
  • 06-12-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

I run a Drupal site for a local sports team. It is currently on GoDaddy, but I find their PHP support quite temperamental and slow, the site regularly breaks and/or takes ages to load

Just wondering if anyone has experience hosting Drupal systems and can they recommend a hosting company that handles Drupal well (in Ireland would be great, but not vital)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Drupal 5.x core systems typically only need a couple of things:
    1. MySQL support (or PostgreSQL)
    2. PHP 4.7+
    3. Apache 1.x or 2.x with the AllowOverride directive set to on (for .htaccess overrides)

I've done quite a bit of work with Drupal over the last couple of years. First things first, make sure you're not mixing up the slowness of GoDaddys systems with enabling too many modules in Drupal.

I started building my basketball clubs website last weekend using Drupal on our shared hosting platform at http://www.longfordfalcons.com/ (yeh yeh, Gallery support is broken at the mo, but noone's meant to be looking at it yet!). I'm not noticing any speed issues, but you do need to careful not to throw the kitchen sink at functionality in terms of Drupal modules enabled. Every single module enabled for anonymous users will start to slow your site down (even if it's in the order of microseconds and you don't notice it) and obviously at some point, it's going to become noticable.

Any of the major hosts in Ireland should support your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

phil wrote: »
    (yeh yeh, Gallery support is broken at the mo, but noone's meant to be looking at it yet!).

that was the first thing I broke :) Could never get it working again, I hope you have better luck

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I'll make it work if it kills me ;)

Advertisement