Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Monthly/Weekly tickets

Options
  • 06-12-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All
    Can anyone tell me why it works out more expensive to buy a weekly return ticket than it does to buy a daily one, also why don't they do a 5 day ticket(most people only work 5 days a week not 7)
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not sure but while we're there - why is the weekly ticket so strictly point-to-point?
    To give an example, the bf gets the weekly from Portmarnock - Pearse. If he wants to go from Portmarnock-Malahide, say for a meal, he'd have to pay for the ticket even though the Malahide-Pease ticket is exactly the same cost. Surely there's some easier approach to this, using zones or something in those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Because they exist to make money, not to satisfy customers.

Hence the move from the 10 journey ticket they used to have a few years ago to the weekly ticket. Allows them to charge more but argue that the weekly ticket now allows people to use the DART on weekends, whereas most commuters would use the DART to commute 5 days a week and not bother with it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

MOH wrote: »

Hence the move from the 10 journey ticket they used to have a few years ago to the weekly ticket. Allows them to charge more but argue that the weekly ticket now allows people to use the DART on weekends, whereas most commuters would use the DART to commute 5 days a week and not bother with it at the weekend.

10 journey tickets were removed because of the problems of how many imes they were used, same with dublin bus. 10 journey tickes were replaced with weekly tickets and 2 journey tickets, easier for the driver to check whats been used and mark.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Surely if the ticket has been validated by a machine 10 times it will stop working? Can't see the pronblem there.

Even if that is the reason they're gone, replacing them with 3 day and 7 day tickets was the most ridiculous thing they could have possibly done. As already stated, most commuters wouldn't use them at the weekends and a 3 day ticket leaves you needing to buy two single day tickets each week. Why couldn't they have brought in a 5 day ticket, or is that just too sensible?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

zaph wrote: »
    Surely if the ticket has been validated by a machine 10 times it will stop working? Can't see the pronblem there.

the fact that they were for 10 trips meant people had to keep them longer and increase chance of them becoming defective before being fully used. Of course there was people deliberatly damaging the cards and arguing to say they only used it 3 or 4 times when in fact it had been used 13 or 14 times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

zaph wrote: »

The problem was that it was possible to get on the train at most stations without having to validate the ticket. So you would get on the train at your local station without validating the ticket and show the ticket when you got in to town. The guy at the station in town couldnt tell if you had validated the ticket so you got the trip for free. At least thats what people told me you could do. I would never engage in or condone such behaviour myself. *cough*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

True, but that's been tightened up now, hasn't it, or are there still a lot of stations unmanned after a certain time? Either way, issuing a 5 day ticket is the obvious solution but clearly not lucrative enough for IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my weekly train ticket costs less than 5 daily ones so it seems that it depends on the route. for me it effectively is a 5 day ticket with the bonus of being able to use it on the weekend too, which is really the way it should be everwhere

i don't know if its still the case but a few years ago a student weekly cost more than and adult one at my station :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

ixoy wrote: »
    Not sure but while we're there - why is the weekly ticket so strictly point-to-point?
    To give an example, the bf gets the weekly from Portmarnock - Pearse. If he wants to go from Portmarnock-Malahide, say for a meal, he'd have to pay for the ticket even though the Malahide-Pease ticket is exactly the same cost. Surely there's some easier approach to this, using zones or something in those lines?

I suppose if he bought a ticket in Malahide each week instead of Portmarnock it would sort that problem out but it's abit of a pain.

Advertisement