Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding new Ram problems

Options
  • 06-12-2007 1:32pm

I have a Dell PC which i bought 4 years ago. I decided to add some extra Ram. So i went to the kingston website and it did a check and said i needed PC 3200 400Mhz Memory . I went onto Ebay and ordered 2 gigs. Finally i got it and stuck it in and i was met with this beeping coming from the mother bord, basically saying its not going to work.

so i went to Dell.ie to check my spec and it said i am using DDR 333 Ram. I have 2 X 512 in my machine currently.

I went back onto ebay and orderd 1gb X 2 . I got it yesterday and i have the same problem again. Its just not being recognised. I have tried a 1 gig on its own and its beeping. I have tried a 512, 1gig 512 1gig . Nothing works. I am banging my head off the wall.

A friend of mine told me that it could be my mother bored only takes 512's .

Advice Much appriciated .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

try resetting the cmos, then installing the new ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭brophis

Is it a Dell Dimension 3200 or maybe a 3300? I forget which number it is but I know a couple of people with these and they're impossible to get RAM for, none of the RAM i had would work, was frustrating.

What is cmos ?

Its a Dimension 4600 and its currently rocking , 1024MB DDR333 DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY (2X512) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What is cmos ?

Its a Dimension 4600 and its currently rocking , 1024MB DDR333 DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY (2X512) :)

Rocking?

Am I reading your post correctly?

You had 2x512 originally (Total 1024MB)

You bought a further 4Gigs & they won't work?

Now you are back on the original configuration?

Did you run the scanner on the Crucial Website? It's normally very accurate.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There was sarcasm involved when i said "rocking" hence the smiley.

No i bought a further 2 gig, 1+1

Yes i did the scanner and it told me PC 3200 400Mhz . Alot of confusion . :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Are you sure each slot can support a 1gb dimm? may only support upto 512mb in each slot

Are you sure each slot can support a 1gb dimm? may only support upto 512mb in each slot

Thats the problem, i am not sure if they support 1gb's .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thats the problem, i am not sure if they support 1gb's .

Run the scanner on the Crucial Website & it will tell you exactly what's what.

www.crucial.com

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

According to support the board can take up to 1gb modules. You didn't buy ecc ram by mistake? How old is your bios? Does it have any options for changing timings? The only other thing I can think of is if the board only supports double sided ram or someting...

Advertisement