Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Poweredge Server €149 exVAT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Guys,

Will this RAM work? http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=41687

or do I definitely need ECC RAM?

I will be removing the existing 2x512 sticks btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

esel wrote: »
    Guys,

Will this RAM work? http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=41687

or do I definitely need ECC RAM?

I will be removing the existing 2x512 sticks btw.

You can use non-ECC ram as long as you don't mix ECC with non-ECC i.e. take out the 2 original sticks.

BTW. Does anyone know of a usb soundcard that is supported by Vista? Any I can find only list up to XP. (I finally got round to fitting a Graphics card but it's conflicting with the sound card I'd already installed and I can't resolve the confict, so I figure the safest bet is to go USB.)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

newrossman wrote: »
    A couple of things to point out.
    The are loss makers to get more customer on board....
    Come on guys do you really think Dell are that stupid to give this stuff away for free!.
    I agree with your thinking newrossman, Dell don't give stuff away for free. I'd say they never make a loss on anything either. Their profit on this server might be small, but even ordering through EPP they're still making a profit. It's because they can make and ship the PC so cheaply, they can sell at what seems to be a loss making price. It surprises me that people still seem to think Dell can get "caught out" on what has to be too low a price or a pricing mistake. I believe Dell never make pricing mistakes, all their pricing is strategically planned and decided in advance. This is the worlds biggest computer maker, a giant corporation, when it comes to pricing Dell know exactly what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Do-more wrote: »
    You can use non-ECC ram as long as you don't mix ECC with non-ECC i.e. take out the 2 original sticks.

u sure .. thought I read somewhere it wouldnt take non ecc-ram

http://www.poweredgeforums.com/showpost.php?p=22623&postcount=34

zod wrote: »
    u sure .. thought I read somewhere it wouldnt take non ecc-ram

http://www.poweredgeforums.com/showpost.php?p=22623&postcount=34

Based on that thread, I'm not going to risk it. Thanks.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Based on that thread, I'm not going to risk it. Thanks.

Sorry, based on that I wouldn't use it either! :eek: I was going on info from checking compatability on one of the Memory supplier websites (can't remember which one.)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just get 2 sticks of this and add it to whats there already: http://www.memoryc.com/memory/TS512MDL5207.html

You'll then have 2 GB, good enough for most things......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Bought the 7300 from Dabs and cut into the middle sized block on the board to fit it. It slot in perfectly so booted up the server.
    Installed the drivers that came with the card and rebooted.
    It recognised the card and stated all the details in the top corner before booting.
    When windows xp launched, I tried to change the display settings but it would not let me change. The most I could get was 800x600 and 4bit. When i tried to increase it gave an error message saying display was invalid. Then it wouldnt allow me to move the bar from 800x600 or increase the colour. I have tried reinstalling but still no joy. When I disable the card it goes back to the normal standard on board graphics which is better than what i am getting with the card.
    Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
    Bazual

bazual wrote: »
    Bought the 7300 from Dabs and cut into the middle sized block on the board to fit it. It slot in perfectly so booted up the server.
    Installed the drivers that came with the card and rebooted.
    It recognised the card and stated all the details in the top corner before booting.
    When windows xp launched, I tried to change the display settings but it would not let me change. The most I could get was 800x600 and 4bit. When i tried to increase it gave an error message saying display was invalid. Then it wouldnt allow me to move the bar from 800x600 or increase the colour. I have tried reinstalling but still no joy. When I disable the card it goes back to the normal standard on board graphics which is better than what i am getting with the card.
    Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks
    Bazual

What does device manager say about the card ( right click my computer.. manage .. device manager )

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Zod,

My internet is down at home at the mo, so I am writing from work and going from memory.
    When I checked the device manager there was no issue with the card, it showed up fine in the display adapters.

There were 3 devices under other devices these were
    Ethernet Controller
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
    not sure what the third was but I dont think it was important.

I tried to find drivers on the computer for all 3 but to no avail, but i dont think this has to do with the graphics card. I have downloaded the latest drivers today and will try them when I get home and let you know what happened.

Thanks
    B~

Ok Folks,

I installed the latest drivers last night and still ended up with the same problem.

The error messages I am getting are

First "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have the appropriate administrative rights to change these settings"

When I click ok the second pops up
    Second "The display settings being saved are invalid. Please try a combination of display settings.

then it locks up the screen resolution bar and I cant change from 800x600
    and the colour goes to 4bit and I cant change this either.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Bazual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Are you sure that you didn't damage any of the pins during the Mod.?
    I have done the same mod and used the same 7300GS and all is working OK

Ok Folks,

I installed the latest drivers last night and still ended up with the same problem.

The error messages I am getting are

First "The display control panel is unable to change the display settings. You may not have the appropriate administrative rights to change these settings"

When I click ok the second pops up
    Second "The display settings being saved are invalid. Please try a combination of display settings.

then it locks up the screen resolution bar and I cant change from 800x600
    and the colour goes to 4bit and I cant change this either.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Bazual

Can you see the 7300 in device manager ? The drivers will not install properly if the card is not detected.

Thanks folks,

I will check the pins again tonight when I go home.
    Its showing up fine in the device manager under the display adapters and says its working fine.

From looking around on the net it may be that I damaged something, I will take another look later.

Thanks again.

Bazual.

Hi Folks,

Just to point out, I have the server plugged into a 32" LCD TV, I didnt think this would make any difference but after reviewing a few other forums that have got the same error message maybe its worth mentioning.

Does anyone think this makes a difference?

Thanks

Bazual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

Whats the max Hard disk you can put into these machines.

On the site i recall it saying 1 TB - was that the max that could be spec'ed when ordering or the that the maximum, limited by the hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

One too many of these babies, so one available if anyone wants it.

Link
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=43012

whitey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Hi Folks,

Just to point out, I have the server plugged into a 32" LCD TV, I didnt think this would make any difference but after reviewing a few other forums that have got the same error message maybe its worth mentioning.

Bazual

What problem are you having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

What OS are people using on this machine?

I installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 but it will only last until June and it is not the best for a use as a home PC. I'd love to install Vista or XP SP2 but there is no way I am shelling out for an OS on top of what I spent for a graphics/sound card and additional RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Raekwon wrote: »
    What OS are people using on this machine?

I installed an evaluation copy of Windows Server 2008 but it will only last until June and it is not the best for a use as a home PC. I'd love to install Vista or XP SP2 but there is no way I am shelling out for an OS on top of what I spent for a graphics/sound card and additional RAM.

"No way I'm shelling out" implies you aren't happy to spend money on an OS.

Obvious answer then. Put Linux on it.

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Folks,

There are more servers for sale for €149 ex vat & shipping here. Does anybody have an EPP code for this one?

Also, how does the T105 rate against the SC1430?

Thanks for your post Philbert. It's €195 including VAT and delivery. Enter this code 305-PE1T1052 on the www.dell.ie/epp web site. I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

Hurry it's "limited" to just 1,000 units! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks like pretty much the same spec... except amd instead of intel and 512mb ram instead of 1gb

not sure how the intel compares to the amd
    these are the expansion slots it has
    One 3.3-V, half-length 32-bit, 33-MHz PCI (slot 4)
    One 2.5-Gb/sec PCIe x1 (slot 3)
    Two 2.5-Gb/sec PCIe x8 (slots 1 and 2)

the sc440 had an extra standard pci slot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

when i enter 123-SC44402 in e-value code it come back with
    We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request to configure the identified product.

can some one tell me having same problem????

Folks,

I just got this for €188 including delivery.

Go to
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/epp/epp?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ieepp1

Then Enter in code 123-SC44402

It should come up for €188 including delivery.

A Bargain at that price......

Bazual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Oracle wrote: »
    I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

It beeeeegiins! I think your right, there will be a demand for this!Thanks for spotting it OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

wasim21k wrote: »
    when i enter 123-SC44402 in e-value code it come back with
    We're sorry, but we are unable to process your request to configure the identified product.

can some one tell me having same problem????

Your using the e-value code from the old offer thats expired, theres a new offer out so that codes invalid.

@wasim21k: Read this post for the latest code. Note that this is a different machine.
    Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks for your post Philbert. It's €195 including VAT and delivery. Enter this code 305-PE1T1052 on the www.dell.ie/epp web site. I'd say this'll mean another Bargain Boards Dell server grab. :D

Hurry it's "limited" to just 1,000 units! Yeah right! :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

couldnt stop, i orderd one and some 2gb memory from other site i hop it will arrive soon. how long it will take any one know ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Ordered one myself just now. With a gig of ram for €217.28. Hopefully I can't get a decent PCI-E Sata card for a nice price. It'll replace my aging P4 1.7 512 server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How noisy are these? Could you use one as a home media center?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

BostonB wrote: »
    How noisy are these? Could you use one as a home media center?

The SC440 I have is pretty quiet, helluva lot quieter than an Xbox 360, that's for sure. I have a passive graphics card installed which helps (you'll need a sound card too). Might be a little on the large side to be a media centre; however, if you have a cupboard or sideboard to put it into, then you might be sorted. Heavy duty steel case too which helps to absorb some of the fan noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I should have said home media server. Stuck in a cupboard rather than under the telly.

That's what mine will be. Current ones lives in the attic. Serves out smb, nfs, ftp, mysql, postgresql, web and other shite. Plan for the new one is to go raid 5 for data, and i'll use the two bundled 80's for OS and DB in a raid 1. I'll see the dremel and some mechano being used I think.

Hmmm, ordered last night, but it's not showing up online. That was using the epp. What to do. At least it's extended for another week, so I can order it it with 1 gig for €263.78.

That sounds normal, your order takes 24-48 hrs. to show up on Dell's system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They are whisper quiet BostonB :D

I still have not made the move from my old media centre to this. I currently have Ubuntu Linux and Server 2003 dual booting. My 300gb hard drive though, which has all my media as IDE and the server is only SATA. So i need to get a usb enclosure for it.

Its quieter than the Primergy econel i currently use for the media centre (where the server 2003 license came from).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You wouldn't happen to have a clamp meter hanging around to measure power usage, would you Saruman? See this thread for context. :)

adam

Saruman wrote: »
    My 300gb hard drive though, which has all my media as IDE and the server is only SATA. So i need to get a usb enclosure for it.
    Optical drive is IDE. Could you not slot your drive in somewhere?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Optical drive is IDE. Could you not slot your drive in somewhere?

Damn it you are right... I only opened it once and took a glance in, did not see any IDE ports... i guess i assumed the optical was SATA.
    My only excuse is it was dark as the corner i have it in gets little light.

Right then... I have so many projects to do. Varnish my bar, install my CCTV system, and Transfer my Media Centre into the server.
    So little time damn it and im wasting it on boards :D

edit I actually got everything done today! In fact i got more done than i thought i would. Im wrecked though.

I did however mess up my codecs on the media centre. Something did not look right and now all i get is black screen. Will have to sort it out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I ordered one of these 2 days ago through epp and I got the following reply this evening.

"I'm mailing regarding an order you have placed with our employee purchase program for the server below. As this offer is for small business only and is enterprise product it breaks the terms of Dell's employee purchase agreement. Therefore your orders are not eligible for this promo and will be cancelled immediately."

Did anybody else get this or was I just unlucky?

I got a call to the same tune today. It's fair enough I suppose, still fantastic value without that discount.

It's disappointing and unfair that your order was canceled. Looking at the FAQ's for the EPP site there only one mention of this:
    Question: Do the offers I receive in the post/newspapers differ from the on-line EPP offers?
    Answer: All Home & Home Office consumer offers available via the Dell country web stores are available to employees through the EPP with the additional EPP discount. However, Small Business Offers available within the national press are specifically excluded as these are targeted at Small Businesses.

There's no longer a Home Office category on the Irish Dell web site, so it might reasonably be assumed that Small Business offers are available through EPP. The answer also says Small Business offers advertised in the national press are excluded from purchase on the EPP web site. That implies all other Small Business systems are eligible. I haven't seen the current server offer advertised anywhere in the national press. There's nothing more said about this on the EPP site's Term and Conditions either.

As regards this being an Enterprise product, the PowerEdge T105 is a Small Business product not for Enterprise, as shown in the product details on Dell's own web site.

I think this is an unreasonable and unfair thing for Dell to do, if anyone here ordered this system from Dell through the EPP site, their order should be honoured. If Dell don't want so called "Enterprise" product for Small Business ordered through their EPP site they shouldn't allow them to be ordered from EPP in the first place. My advice is stick to your guns complain to Customer Care and get your server at the advertised price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

"I think this is an unreasonable and unfair thing for Dell to do, if anyone here ordered this system from Dell through the EPP site, their order should be honoured. If Dell don't want so called "Enterprise" product for Small Business ordered through their EPP site they shouldn't allow them to be ordered from EPP in the first place. My advice is stick to your guns complain to Customer Care and get your server at the advertised price. "

As far as i know,

The faq explains it all small business offers are not valid through EPP, anything on any of the Dell site's are invitation to treat only and this can be broken at any moment.

If you read the small business offer you can clearly see that it states no other promo's can be used with this.

From what i have heard the EPP offer only covers consumer product not business and that is what the server would be classed as.

My advice is to order through the small business segment online before the promo is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Looks like the offer is back on.. http://url.ie/8ng

hi gusy,
    they did sent some email to my but at my work email was block for some reason dont know why (dell email doesnt meet my workplace firwall standards:rolleyes:) anyway what was in that email dont know.
    anyway server was deliverd on wednesday. now i m doing some installation on it just found littel problem. where are drivers? or i have to download each one from net? any one have any idea ?
    i explore cds came with it but dont understand anyting there as folders names are numbers. :mad:

• Advertisement

wasim21k wrote: »
    where are drivers? or i have to download each one from net? any one have any idea ?
    i explore cds came with it but dont understand anyting there as folders names are numbers. :mad:
    Drivers are on one of the CDs. Just insert the CD and the wizzard will find them. Only thing I needed were Ethernet ones.

Not your ornery onager

wizzard what wizzard? well let me try all three cds and let u know. thanks for idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Have one of these winging its way to me at the moment. There seems to be very little info aboutthis model available on the intarweb mind. Will be perfect as a file server /network hub thingymajiggerypoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether this card would work?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338549&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Just looking for something that I can hook up to my TV via HDMI.

Also... any tips on how I'd hook it up so I get sound to the tv on playback... standard speaker jack on a soundcard to the rca on the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Tails142 wrote: »
    Also... any tips on how I'd hook it up so I get sound to the tv on playback... standard speaker jack on a soundcard to the rca on the TV?

Found out about this myself - just for reference I'll post up the solution;

My TV which is a 32" Philips LCD I bought a couple of months ago has a couple of ways;

- It has one hdmi port (on the side) which it will combine with two audio in jacks (right and left). There are two other hdmi connections on the back, but these wont combine the sound.

- It has a set of connections which it will combine together (knows as ext. 4), which include an s-video in OR component (Y, Pr, Pb) and also rca jacks for sound.

so there ya are

• Advertisement
Advertisement