Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA / USB problem

Options
  • 06-12-2007 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

I recently got a WD 400GB SATA drive, but since my PC doesn't have SATA connectors on the motherboard (CA810e/USB1.1), I got a USB IDE/SATA adaptor to enable the connection. I'm running XP SP2, and when I connected it all up, I could see XP detecting the drive, saw some notifications in the bottom-right tray, and it seemed like it was ready to use. However, when I went into Windows Explorer, the drive isn't showing up. When I go into the properties for one of my other hard drives, I can see the SATA drive listed correctly identified with the other 2 IDE hard drives. When I click to manage my computer, and go into the disk management, it's not showing up there either. I tested the adaptor with some IDE hard drives, and they work perfectly with the USB1.1 connection.

So I took the drive and connectors into work today, and connected it up like I did at home, and it all works fine. The drive is formatted in NTFS, and I can copy files onto it, like I'd expect. PCs at work are likely USB2.0. This is the only major difference between, my PC and the work PC. I have a PCI USB2.0 card on it's way that might help it to work, but I would have thought that USB1.1 would have worked anyway, albeit much slower than with USB2.0?! A PCI/SATA card would probably be the most ideal solution, but since the drive is destined for backing up, it'll only be connected once a month at the most.

Maybe someone here knows of something I can try to make it work with the USB1.1 connections, a utility, or driver, but I reckon XP SP2 should have drivers to handle SATA. Or maybe the architecture of my m/b is too old, even if I upgrade to USB2.0, to work with SATA?

Appreciate any helpful replies or comments.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hi Ther biologikal , Have you still got the adaptor , I am looking for one in a hurry , Any chance I could Borrow/rent it from you ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I stuck a USB2.0 PCI card in the PC, and the SATA adaptor works fine with the SATA drive. The USB2.0 adaptor probably doesn't like USB1.1 with the SATA drive, even though it worked with the IDE hard drive no problem.

Still need the loan of the adaptor sharkman?

Advertisement