Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nick Halling

• 06-12-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Nick Hailing if american would be known as desktop critic. The guy knowledgeable yes but watch a full nfl sunday and count how many times you catch him looking at his laptop. His opinions are all media induced.

He might be a desktop critic, but so is John Clayton and he gets listened to.
    Halling is knowledgeable and passionate, a pretty good mix.
    He's easily the best thing about that unwatchable POS show they have on Sky - Reading out emails and Kevin Cadle and whatever 2-season veteran they can get muttering cliches during the TV timeouts. I haven't watched it in months as the p2p stuff gets more reliable and I have 3 computers so I kinda have a cheapo version of NFL Ticket going on, but I digress.
    If Halling could lose the accent, he'd have a career in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

IMO halling does only be looking at his laptop for other scores. I myself usually keep the NFL website open (or Sportline)

Halling's an excellent TV presenter and has a genuine interest in the NFL. He's not perfect but then who is (bar Al Michaels!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He looks up stats on the laptop. They don't autocue them like they do in the States. He's grand, nothing more than that but he does like the sport and is much better than some of the others on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I wasn't really impressed by the fact he knew absolutely nothing about which players to look out for in next year's draft.......fair enough it is an NFL show, but a complete lack of knowledge of say, Darren McFadden (possibly the 'best' player in the country), is not great, especially since he could end up at the Pats! (I know they will lose a first round pick over Cameragate, but they still have the 49ers pick, who look like they will have a top 5 pick).

I still like him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Agree as well...if anyone should be critisised its Cadle.
    I find him very ponderous and annoying at times.
    Halling is good and knows his stuff as well as having a bit of a personality.
    I sense a bit of burnout there,expecting them to do 1800 Sunday till 0300 is a bit much,you can see Halling looking the worse for wear sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've always wondered how they survive those sunday shows. Sure don't they stay on air for close to 11 hours sometimes? Can't picture George Hook/Eamonn Dunphy etc doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

You can tell by looking at Kevin Cadle's eyes that they're struggling.

Also, I find there are more breaks during the 9pm game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

True, I'd imagine they go through a lot of coffee though :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Wow my opinion gets its own thread Cool :) lol. I just dont like the guy as critics go he is good but this age of desktop critics im not a fan off I know there are plenty of respected ones in the US these guys im also not a fan off either. I never questioned his knowledge but its bugs me to see these guys look down and then say something. One thing I do like about him is his persistance to his point but I dont know not a fan of stato type commentators critics and analysts. Dont get me started on Cadle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I agree that he's kind of an armchair pundit but in fairness he's been doing it for 20 years so he's bound to be a bit of an expert. He also does seem to know quite a bit about the British game, suggesting he does go to watch games there and isn't just an NFL type guy. Not knowing leading college players is surprising but given how wrong so many expert commentators in the States get it I'm not exactly bothered by that. There'll be a time for mock drafts soon enough, it'll be interesting to see who goes No 1 this year. Brohm was preseason favourite but wonder if he'll be there come draft day. Not sure if Miami would pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

I think Halling does a great job, given the environment he has to work in. His love of the sport of obvious. I like Cadle too.

They may not have the flash of some of the American shows, but their opionions are their own -- somthing I feel is not be the case with some of the presenters in the States, particularly from some of the recently retired players.

I'll be watching closely this Sunday to see if the jump on the anti-Patriots bandwagon. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I think Halling does a great job, given the environment he has to work in. His love of the sport of obvious. I like Cadle too.

They may not have the flash of some of the American shows, but their opionions are their own -- somthing I feel is not be the case with some of the presenters in the States, particularly from some of the recently retired players.

I'll be watching closely this Sunday to see if the jump on the anti-Patriots bandwagon. :-)

well Halling is a big steelers fan and has admitted he isnt fond of the Pats so I'm sure the wagon will be well in action Sunday!

Advertisement